User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2014, 05:44 PM   #1
Hybridchemistry OP

Oddometer: 171
DRZ ground a hole in the case.

Welllll, crap.

Picture is hopefully enough explanation, but the short is that I think the chain was loose (yeah yeah, should have checked tension a while ago), and after some aggressive city riding, it either hopped off the sprocket (which looks possible as it's missing teeth, but that might have happened after the chain hopped), or was loose enough to fly past the sprocket to grind on the case. This left me on the side of the road with a trail of oil behind me.

Questions now are:
Is JB weld + a strip of something metal good enough to fix it? Is this case FUBAR?
Where can I get a cheap case protector, or should I just beef up the repair and call that my case saver?
Is a tire that has had oil spilled on it, good enough to use again as long as it gets wiped down?

tl;dr My holiday is off to A GREAT START.
Hybridchemistry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:27 PM   #2
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,112
Get it welded if its not into anything internally. JB weld can work also. Clean your tire up with soap and water / ride in gravel / ride it with caution till it scrubs off the oil.

Try procycle for a case saver.
Danjal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:55 PM   #3
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,744
1. is that a oil port behind that?
2. that sprocket looks to big, if it is drop it a few teeth and go up in the rear.
3. the bike should have has a case saver on there stock, I'm going to guess it was removed to run that big front sprocket.
4. you really let the chain get that loose?
5. if that's not oil port then it can be welded. if it is a oil port you need to find a way to keep the port open but seal it to the out side. yes JB weld will fix this until it starts leaking at some point later in life.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:06 PM   #4
qkenf4u
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
as stated a GOOD welder can welld that up no worries... guy at work just fixed a YFZ case that cracked in the same area...
qkenf4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 03:12 AM   #5
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,184
I think that sprocket is too big. I count 16 teeth. If I remember correctly, 14 is stock. JB weld should fix that up.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 11:34 AM   #6
Baroquenride
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
That sprocket is too big unless you're really trying for better mpg's. Also, to avoid holes like that with a proper sized sprocket use a case saver made for that bike. You'll probably have to strip the entire case down to have that welded properly, but maybe not. Find your welder and talk to him. At the very least, unplug and pull off your critical electrical components just to be safe.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:38 AM   #7
Navin
Unwounding

Oddometer: 6,672
I'd clean that with strong soap, then brake cleaner, then soap again and use a good epoxy. That looks to be the clutch arm pivot shaft. I'd avoid welding it unless the engine is apart and you can check the alignment of that bore and correct if necessary.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 04:40 PM   #8
focallength
Numpty

Oddometer: 4,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer Rails View Post
I think that sprocket is too big. I count 16 teeth. If I remember correctly, 14 is stock. JB weld should fix that up.
yeah, 15 is stock, 16 will eat the swing arm. I either run 14 for off road or 15 for street. You can run a 16 but you have to do something special which I cant recall exactly but I know its more hassle than its worth. Just run a 15 front and a 44 rear or smaller if you want highway/street gearing.
I cant see a pic in the OP, but if its the swing arm, Id just buy a used one, theyre pretty cheap and easily found, or JB weld it and see what happens.
focallength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:34 AM   #9
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
I'd clean that with strong soap, then brake cleaner, then soap again and use a good epoxy. That looks to be the clutch arm pivot shaft. I'd avoid welding it unless the engine is apart and you can check the alignment of that bore and correct if necessary.
Agreed.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:59 PM   #10
Hybridchemistry OP

So here's some more pics, I was looking at the nut on the sprocket and it was really loose, only held in place by the washer that is bent next to it. Might be an indicator of shit to hit the fan. Then I noticed the broken link in the chain, that's no bueno. I'm thinking that the front sprocket rattled around, fucked with the chain (which I haven't changed since I bought it from the PO over a year ago) and busted some teeth and then was like "I'ma slap this case over here, sha-zang!"
Good news is that it doesn't look too deep or too wide, I think I can get in there with a pick and pull out the crap, clean with this stuff: Super Clean (purple power) and some brake cleaner, and JB weld it up with a sliver of metal.

I am also thinking about replacing the chain slide on the swing arm, it doesn't look like I ground to the swing arm, but I'd rather not let the new chain I'm getting grind down any further. Suggestions on chain slides?
Old 07-08-2014, 02:36 PM   #11
Hybridchemistry OP

So, while taking a dump today, I got to thinking about what happened exactly. The broken chain link got me thinking... I suppose that the sprocket was loose, the chain was worn, and with my usual, gentle as a rabid hyena riding style, snapped that link, which then flopped wildly against the case, slicing it open so nicely instead of a thwack of chain and big crack.

Does that sound logical to people? Also, when I do the Loctite fix for the countershaft, what kind of Loctite are people using? I hear 263 is the update to 271, but I can't for the life of me find any for a reasonable price. 271 should be good enough right? Or 262, which is also cheap and has similar specs... ?
Old 07-08-2014, 02:45 PM   #12
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,170
dood.... that sprocket is crazy too big!...
davesupreme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:14 PM   #13
Hybridchemistry OP

Someone asked where the nut on my sprocket was... I don't know. Probably something I should have checked sooner... I was pulled the chain and gotten a better look sooner. :facepalm

Got around to cleaning it up, and well look at that. The threads on the counter sprocket shaft are flattened. Is that something that gently tightening a new nut on will fix?
My initial plan was to JB weld this up tonight, but seeing as I don't have a nut, I might as well wait. How easy is it to source a nut and washer?
Old 07-10-2014, 03:21 AM   #14
imnothng
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
I don't know how much I can help, but my nut came completely loose before and striped the threads on the nut. I used blue Loctite and purchased 2 nuts and washers from the dealer and it took about two weeks or so to get them (that's why I ordered 2 at the same time, so that if it happened again I wouldn't have to wait). I never had a problem with it again after that.
imnothng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:06 PM   #15
Hybridchemistry OP

Posting for posterity, a better fix than welding the sprocket on IMO: http://socalsupermoto.com/blog/2011/...ntershaft-fix/

Should my threads be crap, this is the route I will go

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk