Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2008, 06:47 PM   #151
2old2race
I wana ride

Oddometer: 1,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by rforsythe
Yeah, when I bought the bike it had the one kick and go, which was very nice. Now it has 30 kicks and I go get a beer. It does have the XR's Only Mikuni pumper carb so it takes a little squirt of gas before kicking, but even then, it just hates me. Now it's hard to find TDC for some reason, i.e. I never feel the typical increase in pressure. Thinking valves, assuming something else isn't going on. Not sure what else it would be though. Last ride it was a pain in the ass to start but we got it going, got it completely muddy, and then I cleaned it off when I got home. Now it won't do anything except taunt me.

Check post 27 of this thread for starting tips

Bob
'08 KLR650
'07 Tiger 1050 - Gone
'98 XR440 - Getting a frame up rebuild
'89 XR250 - Needs a Lic Plate
2old2race is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 06:49 PM   #152
Hayduke OP
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by rforsythe
Any chance you'd be willing to share where that is? I'm going nuts here. Bought my XR400 right before the snow hit and got one trip into Rampart. Other than a mud-fest up at IMI a month ago it's been sitting.

I gotta figure out what I did to make it angry with me, as it won't start now, but once I sort that out I want to go explore. Very curious where one can do that this time of year.

Check out this thread in Rockies-

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310214

It's just west of Canon City (maybe 20 miles) I'm headed down there again this week sometime. There is snow on the higher trails, but the lower stuff is (was) clear. Good to get on some dirt anyway.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 08:10 PM   #153
rforsythe
You'll shoot your eye out

Oddometer: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2old2race
Check post 27 of this thread for starting tips
Yeah, saw that. There is some other sort of anti-Honda evil afoot here.
...There's a general risk of racing that can be managed, and then there's being stalled in a silt bed, in the middle of the night, zero visibility, with a bunch of San Bernadino tweakers bearing down in their 5000 lb chevy...
rforsythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 08:11 PM   #154
rforsythe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke
Check out this thread in Rockies-

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310214

It's just west of Canon City (maybe 20 miles) I'm headed down there again this week sometime. There is snow on the higher trails, but the lower stuff is (was) clear. Good to get on some dirt anyway.
Nice, thanks for the post!
...There's a general risk of racing that can be managed, and then there's being stalled in a silt bed, in the middle of the night, zero visibility, with a bunch of San Bernadino tweakers bearing down in their 5000 lb chevy...
Old 02-17-2008, 08:30 PM   #155
fendermon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
If your compression release isn't fully releasing you won't feel tdc. And, you could kick it till the cows come home and it's not gonna start. My motor kicks easy enough, so I disabled mine. It's one less thing to go wrong now.

Dale

Sow a seed of only 19.95 today!
fendermon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 08:37 PM   #156
arkansawyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,936
I talked to a guy that made an XR400 electric start. It was very involved-splitting the cases, building a new wiring harness, etc.
Here's what I remember;
He bought a 400EX ATV engine off ebay.
He had to use the ATV crank so the starter clutch had room.
I think he had to use the left side engine cover from the ATV for the extra width.
He had to use the ATV CDI box.
Probably a few more things I've forgotten. It sounded much more complicated than I wanted to get into.
arkansawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 09:04 PM   #157
rforsythe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fendermon
If your compression release isn't fully releasing you won't feel tdc. And, you could kick it till the cows come home and it's not gonna start. My motor kicks easy enough, so I disabled mine. It's one less thing to go wrong now.

Dale
Well, it has the auto decomp - is that what you're talking about? The lever isn't on the bike for the compression release anymore, but you can still reach up under the tank and manually move the mechanism if you're bored. Did you completely disable the auto-decomp?
Old 02-17-2008, 09:35 PM   #158
fendermon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
Yup, I adjusted (loosened) the cable to where the lever isn't gonna do squat. No chance of it accidently dumping compresson now.

Sow a seed of only 19.95 today!
fendermon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 09:45 PM   #159
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky
Far. It's north of Dallas on the Ok/TX border. I have friends up in DFW that go, so I stay with them and make a weekend out of it.

It's a private dirt park, so dual sports are actually kinda rare. I took my plate off so I wouldn't lose it on a trail. Lots of quads, too (since there's really nowhere else for those guys to play).

Lots more info: http://www.redrivermotorcycletrails.com/

And if you're considering riding in TX, come say hi to the locals: www.TWTex.com - we have a LA Dual Sport planned for early March over by Natitoches (sp?)
Thanks!

You TWTex fellas are a great bunch; I met up with them when I spent a week in Houston back in December, My buddy lives out there and we met up with them at the bike nite near his place.

I'll check out the DS ride too.

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 09:46 PM   #160
rforsythe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fendermon
Yup, I adjusted (loosened) the cable to where the lever isn't gonna do squat. No chance of it accidently dumping compresson now.
Ah ok. Well, without the lever there I have no chance of doing that, but I wonder if the mechanism is somehow not closing off like it should.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:52 PM   #161
Supersignet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241

Coming from China soon with an electric start. No idea about when or if it'll hit the states though.
Supersignet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 10:23 PM   #162
Squeaky
A Few Loose Screws...

Oddometer: 1,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersignet

Coming from China soon with an electric start. No idea about when or if it'll hit the states though.
Hey, someone left the font tire in the dryer too long - it shrunk!
'98 XR400R "Templeton"

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 10:34 PM   #163
Supersignet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Yeah, the pic is a chop, but the bike is real and is going to be rolling off the line soon.

Here is a link to the chinese site.

http://www.shineray.com.cn/product_0...&id=151&lmname=越野车

Just thought it might spark some interest in thread

edit**** I was not aware of any potential problems with the website and have not experienced any from the website. I apologize and don't want anyone to think that I am in anyway a spamer.

I added the picture and link to this dicussion because I thought it was relevant to the topic. I have also added a screen capture of the site in a future post and hosted it on photobucket to make it completely safe to view.

Supersignet screwed with this post 02-17-2008 at 11:15 PM
Supersignet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 10:45 PM   #164
Brtp4
Do what you love.

Oddometer: 1,966
BEFORE YOU CLICK THAT LINK, I got a popup in my Spysweeper that says that is a spyware site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersignet
Yeah, the pic is a chop, but the bike is real and is going to be rolling off the line soon.

Here is a link to the chinese site.

http://www.shineray.com.cn/product_0...&id=151&lmname=越野车

Just thought it might spark some interest in thread

Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 10:45 PM   #165
lvdukerider
Las Vegas Nevada

Oddometer: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkansawyer
I talked to a guy that made an XR400 electric start. It was very involved-splitting the cases, building a new wiring harness, etc.
Here's what I remember;
He bought a 400EX ATV engine off ebay.
He had to use the ATV crank so the starter clutch had room.
I think he had to use the left side engine cover from the ATV for the extra width.
He had to use the ATV CDI box.
Probably a few more things I've forgotten. It sounded much more complicated than I wanted to get into.
There was a artical several years ago in one of the major publications where someone did what you describe except they used the entire atv motor which not only retained the electric starter but also the atv's reverse.
lvdukerider is offline   Reply With Quote