User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2008, 07:00 AM   #226
ColoradoV-Strom
HEY Y'ALL WATCHIS!!

Oddometer: 497
+1

It took me a while to figure out the secrets to starting my XR 400 also, But once you learn the secret, its no big deal.

My starting proceedure when its cold:
choke full on
idle screw turned up 2 full turns
push kill switch in and kick start at full throttle 5 times
release kill switch..release throttle find top dead center
next kick it WILL start

I know its crazy, but it works. When its warm, no more than 2 kicks will start it.
ColoradoV-Strom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 08:51 AM   #227
RickRen
AdvRider China

Oddometer: 76
My bike is almost finished building. Just waiting for the ASV F1 Clutch Lever/Perch, no space on my handle bar for the road book holder control switch...

RickRen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 10:36 AM   #228
Hayduke OP
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,502
VERY nice bike.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 02:34 PM   #229
Radiator
User

Oddometer: 317
Ga Xr400

Been watching and reading this thread, as I think I wanna get back into dirt biking with an XR400. Not that theres any dirt in Florida, but, well, sand biking? Anyway, I saw a 1996 for $1225 on cycle trader, but the guy never called back and the ad disappeared. Today I saw this located near Atlanta at a dealership....I don't have $5600 , but it looks like its pretty awesome, though I'd want to get some more dirt oriented tires(seems the pic wont link, but you can check it out at the link):

http://www.cycletrader.com/find/list...XR400-92198791

The text reads:

2004 HONDA XR400, STREET LEGAL XR400SM SUPERMOTO, PERFORMANCE CARB, PIPE, PISTON, CAM, ONE OF A KIND - BUILT BY PROFESSIONAL HONDA "RED-LEVEL" TECHNICIAN ROB FELLERS, THIS XR400SM IS A WORK OF ART. FROM THE HIGH COMPRESSION JE PISTON, TO THE EDELBROCK PUMPER CARBURATOR, THIS XR400SM IS BUILT RIGHT. STREET LEGAL, WHITE BROTHERS E2 EXHAUST, STAGE 1 HOTCAM, TRAIL TECH COMPUTER/SPEEDO, EXCEL RIMS WITH TALON HUBS, BULLYDOG STAINLESS SPOKES, MICHELIN PILOT POWER TIRES, DEVOL LOWERING LINK, PROTEK AXLE SLIDERS,IMS LARGE CAPACITY FUEL TANK, MOOSE STAINLESS FOOTPEGS, ACERBIS HEADLIGHT AND FENDERS, LED TAGLIGHT/ TURNSIGNALS, STEEL BRAIDED FRONT BRAKE LINE, LARGER DIAMETER FRONT BRAKE ROTOR, WAVE REAR ROTOR, RENTHAL HANDLEBARS, GRIPPER SEAT COVER, TAGED AND TITLED IN GEORGIA- FULLY STREET LEGAL AND READY FOR ASSAULT ON YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD.

Anyway, I just wanted to share...hope to be an owner when the right bike near my area presents itself....
Radiator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 06:36 PM   #230
Sam Simons
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Re:xr400

Yep,love my XR4 too....stock except for Mik pumper,XR's Only pipe and a 'tar' change.....

Sam in IN

Sam Simons screwed with this post 11-27-2008 at 06:01 AM
Sam Simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 07:53 PM   #231
SwitchThrottle
Bring da amber lamps

Oddometer: 1,048
Eek Need some more candle power.

Okay....so nothing in my possession goes to long without a little tweeking. Here is my question(s). My bro-n-law took her for a spin, and when he arrived back, the headlight was out (uh oh...time to start wrenchin on my honda). The single filament bulb has a dopey flang on it. Apparently only Honda stocks em.... So it's time to correct Honda's engineering shortfalls. I wanted more light, and have been reading that the stock stator puts out 85 watts? Is that accurate? If it does, it shoould be able to power a 55er right? I didn't want an ugly housing, so I am upgrading the stock one. I found a single filiment 55er at Napa, it's a driving light single filament halogen (BP1255/H3). It fits the stock housing, and I could wire it easy, but have some doubts about the stock electrical system running it. Also the stock light housing is metal with the plastic lens will heat be an issue? I went with the shallowest bulb I could find (about an inch clearance from the bulb to the plastic lens). Should I go for it?

More tweeking....I bought a street plated dirtbike (minus all the required DOT crap). In an effort to avoid a DOT inspection I am DSing it. Since I am on limited budget, I went the build it yourself route. I have added some K&S signals, signal switch, and rear hydraulic brake switch. So far life is good, cept for a signal sent with a bad bulb. Will post the pics when I get them loaded.
SwitchThrottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 07:55 PM   #232
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,523
get the xr600 glass lense: 33123-MK2-671
it drops in and then buy a H3 55w bulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwitchThrottle
Okay....so nothing in my possession goes to long without a little tweeking. Here is my question(s). My bro-n-law took her for a spin, and when he arrived back, the headlight was out (uh oh...time to start wrenchin on my honda). The single filament bulb has a dopey flang on it. Apparently only Honda stocks em.... So it's time to correct Honda's engineering shortfalls. I wanted more light, and have been reading that the stock stator puts out 85 watts? Is that accurate? If it does, it shoould be able to power a 55er right? I didn't want an ugly housing, so I am upgrading the stock one. I found a single filiment 55er at Napa, it's a driving light single filament halogen (BP1255/H3). It fits the stock housing, and I could wire it easy, but have some doubts about the stock electrical system running it. Also the stock light housing is metal with the plastic lens will heat be an issue? I went with the shallowest bulb I could find (about an inch clearance from the bulb to the plastic lens). Should I go for it?

More tweeking....I bought a street plated dirtbike (minus all the required DOT crap). In an effort to avoid a DOT inspection I am DSing it. Since I am on limited budget, I went the build it yourself route. I have added some K&S signals, signal switch, and rear hydraulic brake switch. So far life is good, cept for a signal sent with a bad bulb. Will post the pics when I get them loaded.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 08:04 PM   #233
SwitchThrottle
Bring da amber lamps

Think the plastic will melt? Is it really that hot? How about the stock stator? Will it power a 55er H3?
Old 03-13-2008, 08:25 PM   #234
SwitchThrottle
Bring da amber lamps

I too had issues firing my ride when I first got it. Jetting setting is key. I am in CT. Bike has been de-snorkled and air filtered. Still running the stock exhaust (nice-n-quiet), although I would like a deeper sound (like my truck's flowmaster). I am at about 500ft above sea level. Running a 158 main and a 55 pilot. Not sure of the main's settings, but the pilot was 2.5 out from seated. I cranked it all the way in, and the spun it out 2.75. Unscrewed the idle adjuster until it just touched, the spun it 2 turns in. Full choke, fuel on, no throttle (30ish degrees outside), 6 kicks, sputter stall, 2 more kicks, stutter, itty bitty throttle till it ran clean. No choke, idled nicely but a little slower than I like. I adjusted the idle up till it was purring nicely. I have never touched the idle since. When it warms a little I may crank the pilot in to 2.5, but when it's cold, out to 2.75. Figure out the sequence. I too doubted my purchase at first, but now....the button is a fading memory...cept for my buddies trying to put the fear of hill stall in me, but I know the tractor torque will wipe the dumb grins off their faces
Old 03-13-2008, 08:28 PM   #235
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,179
Switch to an LED taillight, you'll save a little chunk of current draw there that will help what you do w/ the headlight.

My XR400 never had any electrical demands made of it....but my XR600 is going to be able to power grip heaters, decent lighting, and a vest (not that it's all going to be blazing at once)....so I'm putting a 200w stator on it.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 08:32 PM   #236
SwitchThrottle
Bring da amber lamps

Eakins...did you do the colorado 500 last year? My bike was there with the previous owner. I lived in CO for the first 15 years of my life. Boulder and Hygene. Schooled in Lyons. I miss it, but all my family is here, so moving back is not an option, but I would like to visit someday.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:37 PM   #237
SwitchThrottle
Bring da amber lamps

Stator is on my list, but $$$ is tight right now. I am suprised my wife is still letting me sleep in our bed. I have dropped about 4k in the last month on this XR (3k purchase, $200 reg, $160 for full insurance, $200 for new riding gear, $50 for lighting, plus a few other misc items). It's all worth it.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:06 PM   #238
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,263
very nice ! say since your a dealer cant you get those boys in italy to shoot a red side tank instead the ktm color on the side tank? those high road book dash stepups give me the willies, an over the bars crash may gut the rider, a lot of P to D deaths have been from chest injuries. maybe make a break away mount, and rubber the edges?

those new 250/400 you posted look nice keep us posted!
interesting info on your tours, I have been looking into the silk road tours in kyrgistan and khazkstan, your just over the range, I'll send a email on your site re more info.
thanks, Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickRen
My bike is almost finished building. Just waiting for the ASV F1 Clutch Lever/Perch, no space on my handle bar for the road book holder control switch...

Old 03-13-2008, 11:51 PM   #239
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwitchThrottle
Think the plastic will melt? Is it really that hot? How about the stock stator? Will it power a 55er H3?
Dunno about the plastic, I have always had a glass lens on the bike.
As far as the power, I doubt it- the factory system is carefully designed to light the 35w headlight, 5w taillight and nothing else.
On mine, a 65W H4 bulb wouldn't light properly at any rpm.

There are a bunch of unused poles on the stator, so upgrading the power is relatively easy.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 06:48 AM   #240
1stworks
dude

Oddometer: 1,612
1998 xr4

If anyone wants one here it is!!!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272416

firstworks
1stworks is offline   Reply With Quote