Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2011, 08:37 AM   #3706
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by brixr400 View Post
Hi guys, i had my first 1week trip with my xr4, she's perfect but drunks too much!

I'm thinking to mount a new carb, maybe FCR 37 or 39.
they decrease waste both? Which one do you recommend me?
Properly tuned, the stock carb is as efficient or better than the FCRs you mentioned, both FCRs will flow more air than the stock carb so it stands to reason that with both carbs tuned properly, the carb flowing more air will require more fuel. The pilot jet will have the biggest effect on mileage unless you drive around with the throttle pinned. Float level also has a direct and noticable effect on mileage, lower level = better mileage but you only have 1~3mm before it adversly affects the motor's tuning.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 05:39 AM   #3707
Bullamakanka
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Just boosting the old girl up to a 426 with the 36mm Mikuni Pumper carb + XR's Only Competition exhaust + FMF Powerbomb header + stage 2 cam fitted.

Wonder if anyone else has played with the jetting on a similar configuration and what did they find was the best option?

Previous stock setup with just the Mikuni carby and XR's exhaust I found that the bike ran fairly rich with the supplied jets from XR's only.

Altitude is sea level to 1500 ft.

Cheers
Bullamakanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 06:23 PM   #3708
birds
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
I'm having a lot of trouble with my bike again. I recently cleaned the carb and re-jetted it 160/60 as suggested in this thread months ago (just able to ride now coming off a knee injury). I also checked the valve clearances. The bike was relatively easy to start considering the new choke plate. I had that setup for about 50 miles and it seemed to run pretty nice. I'm new to bikes so I couldn't know for sure, but it ran a hell of a lot better than before. On the way home the bike suddenly sounded like it wasn't getting complete combustion, and then it died. I pulled the plug and it was fouled. I figured I was just running too rich and fouled the plug to where it would not ignite (wish I checked that plug earlier), but a new plug didn't get it to start.

As it stands now, it is extremely difficult to start. The kick starter sticks sometimes and clicks sometimes. When I do get it started, it won't idle, and there's a whirrrrrrr from the engine, but I don't have a chance to tell if it's coming from the top or the bottom. It still sounds like incomplete combustion, with white smoke billowing out of the exhaust. Valve clearances were still good. The bottom oil check bolt shows a correct oil level.

Does this clearly point to anything? Is it time to pull the engine apart? Any advice is greatly appreciated. This is my first bike, and so far I've done more fixing than riding.
birds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:47 PM   #3709
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 32,530
what yr model?
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:49 PM   #3710
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by birds View Post
I'm having a lot of trouble with my bike again. I recently cleaned the carb and re-jetted it 160/60 as suggested in this thread months ago (just able to ride now coming off a knee injury). I also checked the valve clearances. The bike was relatively easy to start considering the new choke plate. I had that setup for about 50 miles and it seemed to run pretty nice. I'm new to bikes so I couldn't know for sure, but it ran a hell of a lot better than before. On the way home the bike suddenly sounded like it wasn't getting complete combustion, and then it died. I pulled the plug and it was fouled. I figured I was just running too rich and fouled the plug to where it would not ignite (wish I checked that plug earlier), but a new plug didn't get it to start.

As it stands now, it is extremely difficult to start. The kick starter sticks sometimes and clicks sometimes. When I do get it started, it won't idle, and there's a whirrrrrrr from the engine, but I don't have a chance to tell if it's coming from the top or the bottom. It still sounds like incomplete combustion, with white smoke billowing out of the exhaust. Valve clearances were still good. The bottom oil check bolt shows a correct oil level.

Does this clearly point to anything? Is it time to pull the engine apart? Any advice is greatly appreciated. This is my first bike, and so far I've done more fixing than riding.
First rule of troubleshooting: check the last thing you messed with. In this case, the carburetor. Having a jet fall out could cause the problems you are now having. Pull it out and take a look.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:52 PM   #3711
AltRoute
AltRoute

Oddometer: 281
The right Vibes

I was dropped a TAG about 200 miles away on my XR ( all back road slab ) and when it was over I was left with chainsaw buzz in the hands for about two day. Nothing new. So after reading a post I swapped out the grips for the Pro Grip Rally Grips

Just got back from a trip down to Gettysburg ( again about 200 miles ) - NO BUZZ in the hands - none.
It could be I have no feeling in my hands anymore or they actually worked
I will say they are a bit wider than the normal grips but it didn't bother me too much -
AltRoute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:20 PM   #3712
birds
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
what yr model?
'99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
First rule of troubleshooting: check the last thing you messed with. In this case, the carburetor. Having a jet fall out could cause the problems you are now having. Pull it out and take a look.
makes sense . I'll check that as soon as it stops raining.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:19 AM   #3713
brixr400
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by brixr400 View Post
Hi guys, i had my first 1week trip with my xr4, she's perfect but drunks too much!

I'm thinking to mount a new carb, maybe FCR 37 or 39.
they decrease waste both? Which one do you recommend me?
thanks all for the replyes, I'm reading yours link and looking for a new carb.

This is a couple of pictures of my trip:

Old 08-22-2011, 12:58 PM   #3714
birds
Gnarly Adventurer

Looks like an awesome trip, love to see the bike packed down like that

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk
Old 08-23-2011, 03:48 AM   #3715
brixr400
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by birds View Post
Looks like an awesome trip, love to see the bike packed down like that

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk

it was beautifull, we started from Palermo (sicily) and rode around Calabria passing through Aspromonte Park and Sila Park.
In the first picture i'm in Villa San Giovanni and behind me you can see the end of Calabria and Sicily, in ancient times there was a wire between the poles to transport electric power across abount 4km on the sea.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:23 PM   #3716
beat
Double Dutchie

Oddometer: 88
i beter ad a pic of my xr4

bought it in december last year.
build it up like this in the winter,
drove in june 3000km test drive (five days, sorry no pics)
and now the engine is pulled apart (building a e-start)
after that, i'll build a skid plate and it can all be painted during the winter for next years trip (10 weeks)
beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:03 PM   #3717
fireflyr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 454
Took my son on a ride to the Canadian border last week on the North Fork road. His first time with a clutch (TTR125).

I didn't tell him he wasn't really in Canada.

Then down to Polebridge for rootbeer and chocolate chip cookies. I was so proud of the way he rode up and parked next to the Harley and Triumph.

2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer, #347
2004 XR400R Dual Sport, Baja Designs kit
2005 TTR 125 (son's)
1967 & 1971 Honda Trail 90s
fireflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:37 PM   #3718
birds
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post

hahaha yeah that was it, the pilot jet. Thanks. I made sure it was nice and tight this time.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:23 AM   #3719
cirell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Thumb

Just got home from a trip into central australia on my XR 400 . 6000 km in three weeks, apart from a little hiccup at the start of the trip the xr didnt miss a beat
Attached Images

cirell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:54 AM   #3720
beat
Double Dutchie

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by cirell View Post
Just got home from a trip into central australia on my XR 400 . 6000 km in three weeks, apart from a little hiccup at the start of the trip the xr didnt miss a beat
got to get back there someday.
are you doing a RR of it?
beat is offline   Reply With Quote