Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2011, 07:52 PM   #3841
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,216
sounds like you picked up some trash in the pilot jet. I'd start there. next new plug. um air filter......... and the small ports in the back of the carb.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:54 PM   #3842
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,228
I agree....

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1009935
bobbed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:15 PM   #3843
Trailryder42
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,054
If you were running 162 jetting then that suggests(even tho you didn't say) that the bike has intake and exhaust mods.

You say you ride near the Texas coast so that means near sea level. Dropping from a 162 to a 155 is 3 sizes. 155 with intake and exhaust mods and running at sea level is too lean, plus the weather cooling off would make things even leaner. I would suggest going back up to a 158-160.

You didn't say what your pilot jet is. You know that if you change the pilot, the fuel screw has to be retuned.

Is your gas cap venting the tank properly? Next time it dies after a run, unscrew the gas cap and see if you get a rush of air.
COHVCO
USA-ALL
BRC
Trailryder42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:34 PM   #3844
IronSpadeCycles
Button Pusher

Oddometer: 229
Pipe is stock but baffle removed, and running a Uni filter with (5) 1" holes drilled on the right side of the airbox along the top. My DS battery sits in the top hole where the snorkel was. I can't remember what pilot jet is in there but I think it is one step up from stock and I'm running an NGK Iridium plug that is one step cooler to help with the continuous high speed runs. The 155 is what I had and I knew it might be too lean but my Trailtech Vapor is actually reading a cooler cylinder head temp with the 155, which really doesn't make any sense. I figured it might be the pilot circuit or the carb is just clogged. I haven't cleaned the filter all year but I really have only been riding on road on dry days. She was due for a basic tune and oil/filter change anyway before the trip but I just got nervous when this all happened.

Thanks for the info, I'll let you all know how it turns out tomorrow.

Talk soon Travis

I'm a collector of fine crap!
IronSpadeCycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 03:25 AM   #3845
dazkarieh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Eek

Im having the same problem. Take the cluch and she goes off. Sometimes i rev the engine and same thing happens. Going to the mechaninc today. ill tell you some good news if i have them. good luck
dazkarieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:37 AM   #3846
Trailryder42
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazkarieh View Post
Im having the same problem. Take the cluch and she goes off. Sometimes i rev the engine and same thing happens. Going to the mechaninc today. ill tell you some good news if i have them. good luck
What kind of exhaust do you have? Is it the stock muffler or is it an aftermarket can with a packing material? Sometimes a packing material gets blown and obstructs the exhaust. The bike will idle but any throttle at all will kill it.
COHVCO
USA-ALL
BRC
Old 10-20-2011, 09:54 AM   #3847
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronSpadeCycles View Post
Pipe is stock but baffle removed, and running a Uni filter with (5) 1" holes drilled on the right side of the airbox along the top. My DS battery sits in the top hole where the snorkel was. I can't remember what pilot jet is in there but I think it is one step up from stock and I'm running an NGK Iridium plug that is one step cooler to help with the continuous high speed runs. The 155 is what I had and I knew it might be too lean but my Trailtech Vapor is actually reading a cooler cylinder head temp with the 155, which really doesn't make any sense. I figured it might be the pilot circuit or the carb is just clogged. I haven't cleaned the filter all year but I really have only been riding on road on dry days. She was due for a basic tune and oil/filter change anyway before the trip but I just got nervous when this all happened.

Thanks for the info, I'll let you all know how it turns out tomorrow.

Talk soon Travis

Might want to pull your plug and check it too. If you were running rich enough to carbonize your license plate, I imagine that plug is probably a tad sooty.
Wallrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:58 AM   #3848
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 31,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallrat View Post
Might want to pull your plug and check it too. If you were running rich enough to carbonize your license plate, I imagine that plug is probably a tad sooty.
you mean like this?

DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:40 AM   #3849
TooSlow4U
2 Wheel Wonder Rider

Oddometer: 1,052
Headlight help?

Hello fellow XR4 owners... I'm needing some help and keep turning up at dead ends. I was out last weekend enjoying some gravel roads here in southern Indiana aboard my '98 XR4 and collected a stone off of someone's rear tire ahead of me and broke the glass outta my headlight. The D/S kit that the previous owner installed on this bike appears to be the Electrex USA Dakar D/S Kit. Trying to find any contact info from Electrex USA has turned up nothing. I'm pretty sure (due to having to do some wiring repair a few months ago) that this kit has been updated since this was installed. Does anyone here know where I might be able to be just the new headlight so that I can replace just that, without having to buy a whole new kit? Will the headlight bulb/casing from something else fit into this as a direct bolt in that you know of? Any help is much appreciated... Thanks

Here is a pic of what it looks like just to give you an idea....

TooSlow4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:59 AM   #3850
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchblade315 View Post
sounds like you picked up some trash in the pilot jet. I'd start there. next new plug. um air filter......... and the small ports in the back of the carb.
Thirded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
you mean like this?

Have you considered blending your premix a little thinner?
Luke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 02:28 PM   #3851
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 31,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Thirded.

Have you considered blending your premix a little thinner?

not my pic..but one that was just right for here..
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 04:10 PM   #3852
Trailryder42
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSlow4U View Post
Will the headlight bulb/casing from something else fit into this as a direct bolt in that you know of?..
It depends on how the lens is mounted within the plastic shroud. A lot of lenses are made to fit a specific mounting/shroud. Take the old busted lens out and take a picture of the back side of the lens and how it mounts to the shroud.

Then people that aren't familiar with the Electrex unit will have a better idea what lenses might be an option as a drop in replacement or with slight modification, if you're wanting to keep the Electrex shroud.
COHVCO
USA-ALL
BRC
Old 10-20-2011, 04:16 PM   #3853
TooSlow4U
2 Wheel Wonder Rider

Oddometer: 1,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailryder42 View Post
It depends on how the lens is mounted within the plastic shroud. A lot of lenses are made to fit a specific mounting/shroud. Take the old busted lens out and take a picture of the back side of the lens and how it mounts to the shroud.

Then people that aren't familiar with the Electrex unit will have a better idea what lenses might be an option as a drop in replacement or with slight modification, if you're wanting to keep the Electrex shroud.
Okay, I'll take it apart tomorrow when I get to work and get a few pics of it. From the front, it looks very similar to the light used in the BajaDesigns assembly. I'll post up some pics of the backside of it though. Who knows, maybe it's a match and I may be able to call B/D and talk them into selling me just the bulb casing, if that's the case. Thanks for your help on this.

TooSlow4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:08 PM   #3854
stinkyfj60
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel1959 View Post
I bought my '97 XR400R from a fellow inmate but wanted more extensive lighting equipment for my inteneded useage. He was mostly dirt and I'm much more skewed towards road use. I swapped over to Connie TKC80's and had a Baja Designs DS kit installed. All the signals and brake/tail are LED. The headlight is an H4 PIAA 80w/80w lamp. Also, I added a second mirror, as it only had one from the PO. Power is provided through a Ricky Stator dual output 100w/100w brand new stator. The headlight is fed through one of the stator outputs and is still on AC, while everything else (including a LOUD horn) is fed through the second stator output to a voltage regulated battery pack to supply DC power. I'm very pleased with the result and I like the switchgear provided by BD with the kit.

I started with this:

http://diesel1959.smugmug.com/galler...18088217_vFYCE
http://diesel1959.smugmug.com/galler...18089292_nCkd3

and now have this:

http://diesel1959.smugmug.com/galler...18083320_k2TYC
http://diesel1959.smugmug.com/galler...18080228_sQzQL
http://diesel1959.smugmug.com/galler...18074890_cjdsC
http://diesel1959.smugmug.com/galler...18082441_ndXDx
http://diesel1959.smugmug.com/galler...18076966_wNYMV
And now the XR lives with me in Washington state :)
stinkyfj60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 08:56 PM   #3855
Gladly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSlow4U View Post
Okay, I'll take it apart tomorrow when I get to work and get a few pics of it. From the front, it looks very similar to the light used in the BajaDesigns assembly. I'll post up some pics of the backside of it though. Who knows, maybe it's a match and I may be able to call B/D and talk them into selling me just the bulb casing, if that's the case. Thanks for your help on this.
If it is the same, the BD lens assembly is listed on their site:
https://www.bajadesigns.com/NET/P-60...ght+Lens%2c+Bd

you could get one of these while you're at it:
https://www.bajadesigns.com/NET/P-60...igns+Headlight