Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2012, 09:31 AM   #4081
Trailryder42
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCK_4xCustoms View Post
Also, how can I tell if my stator is stock or upgraded? I'm assuming mine's stock as the PO didn't mention anything on it. I'd like to add an auxiliary light to help with my seemingly anemic headlight, and I'm not sure what it could handle.

PCK
The stock stator is rated at 80w. Stock headlight is a 35w with tail being about 5w. So you can safely run a 55w headlight with no problem.
COHVCO
USA-ALL
BRC
Trailryder42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 02:10 PM   #4082
wvridgerider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbed06 View Post
When I used to ride in WV I rode on Dunlop 752 tires. So I chose the Kenda Trakmasters since they look very similar to the previous Dunlops I used to ride there. I went with a 120 rear on my DRZ and a 90/90 on the front I believe. I dont think you will regret the Trakmasters just dont expect much more than 1000 miles out of them unless you live in the woods and never hit the pavement.
The Trackmasters are working well. Did 65 miles offroad last week in conditions from mud to dry to pavement and they worked great. We'll see how they hold up.
wvridgerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:32 PM   #4083
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
Got a new white tank for xmas so selling my Clarke 3.8 gallon natural colored fuel tank if anyone is interested. Same as what you see here including XR stickers but doesn't include the petcock or billet cap. A new stock black plastic clarke fuel cap is included however. Tank is in very good condition, maybe a few minor blemishes if you look for them. Located in SoCal (92648). $120 + shipping.

Wallrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:39 AM   #4084
AndyCap
Mineral Oil Anyone?

Oddometer: 1,426
I's about time I get to post in this thread. I had a XR250R for a few years when I was kid and loved it. I always knew that I would someday get an XR again. Yes, I got an 1150GS BMW, and a 650 KLR, but I needed a true thumber to rip up some single track with - the XR400R is the bike! I looked hi and low to find one near me. I went to lok at one, and the guy sold it while I was headed there. I went to look at a different one and they guy had a two stroke motor in whatever it was he claimed was an XR400. Finally, two weeks ago I found the XR400 I was to own.

I just got it home and haven't even had a chance to really ride yet. However that doesn't stop me from sayin hi, and letting my fellow XR enthusiasts know I am going to be around asking lots of questions, and telling stories, as well as posting pix.

My first question - is there a thread for XR400 after market modifications to consider? I already know I want to put new pegs on it. I need a bigger platform. I also want to get a larger tank. I do plan to road title this bike for quick jaunts from trail head to trail head.

Anyways, I will get some pix out tomorrow.
AndyCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:59 AM   #4085
Mazdabater
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Hey mate welcome! Since I too am also a newbie I have searched for what your looking for. If you google the "Gordons mods" it's a pretty good starting point. As for the pegs I've eyeballed a list of goodies off www.xrsonly.com they seem to have alot of the basic upgrades covered and bikebandit.com is my favourite for OEM parts purely because you get to see all the drawings and know exactly what your getting They also got my parts from US to AUS in a week which is awesome. (honorable mention to procycle.us as they have a nice range of some XR parts too) The first mod you should probably do is get a mikuni pumper carb. I cannot find a bad thing about these anywhere online. I'm ordering mine next pay day, if you stall these things hard when hot or drop it they are an absolute bitch to start. I pretty much have to let mine sit for 20min to cool down a bit before it starts.

Anyway that's my 2c. I'm still a newbie to these things and it's my first bike so I have been searching like a mad man. I've got a bad habit of not being able to leave my toys stuck. I'm sure some more knowledgeable members will chime in soon.
Mazdabater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:02 AM   #4086
AndyCap
Mineral Oil Anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazdabater View Post
Hey mate welcome! Since I too am also a newbie I have searched for what your looking for. If you google the "Gordons mods" it's a pretty good starting point. As for the pegs I've eyeballed a list of goodies off www.xrsonly.com they seem to have alot of the basic upgrades covered and bikebandit.com is my favourite for OEM parts purely because you get to see all the drawings and know exactly what your getting They also got my parts from US to AUS in a week which is awesome. (honorable mention to procycle.us as they have a nice range of some XR parts too) The first mod you should probably do is get a mikuni pumper carb. I cannot find a bad thing about these anywhere online. I'm ordering mine next pay day, if you stall these things hard when hot or drop it they are an absolute bitch to start. I pretty much have to let mine sit for 20min to cool down a bit before it starts.

Anyway that's my 2c. I'm still a newbie to these things and it's my first bike so I have been searching like a mad man. I've got a bad habit of not being able to leave my toys stuck. I'm sure some more knowledgeable members will chime in soon.

Much obliged m8. Great suggestions there. I'll be sure to comb those for new ideas.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:41 AM   #4087
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvridgerider View Post
The Trackmasters are working well. Did 65 miles offroad last week in conditions from mud to dry to pavement and they worked great. We'll see how they hold up.
Keep them pumped up on the pavement and expect to get maybe 1100-1400 miles out of them I would guess if you avoid pavement as much as possible. Maybe 1000 if pavement is ridden frequently. I cant wait to get up there and ride with you fellas in WV.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1009935
bobbed06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:59 AM   #4088
thebigman
bout a dollar 3.98

Oddometer: 3,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCap View Post
I's about time I get to post in this thread. I had a XR250R for a few years when I was kid and loved it. I always knew that I would someday get an XR again. Yes, I got an 1150GS BMW, and a 650 KLR, but I needed a true thumber to rip up some single track with - the XR400R is the bike! I looked hi and low to find one near me. I went to lok at one, and the guy sold it while I was headed there. I went to look at a different one and they guy had a two stroke motor in whatever it was he claimed was an XR400. Finally, two weeks ago I found the XR400 I was to own.

I just got it home and haven't even had a chance to really ride yet. However that doesn't stop me from sayin hi, and letting my fellow XR enthusiasts know I am going to be around asking lots of questions, and telling stories, as well as posting pix.

My first question - is there a thread for XR400 after market modifications to consider? I already know I want to put new pegs on it. I need a bigger platform. I also want to get a larger tank. I do plan to road title this bike for quick jaunts from trail head to trail head.

Anyways, I will get some pix out tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazdabater View Post

I'm in the same boat with yall, got mine Dec 30th , what a way to start the New Year out ,

Mine is already Plated and registered, so thats a big plus.

I did notice about 8 -10 - 12 holes drilled in the left side airbox panel , just wondering why ,

I know it did come with a pumper carb , and a bigger IMS tank ,

will get pics up asap ,

Thanks All

08 xr650l ,99 xr650l, 10 HDXR1200X ,84atc200s 85atc200s, 80ct110 ,99xr70, 04xr650l ,

Dumb ass people do dumb ass things
thebigman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:55 AM   #4089
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCK_4xCustoms View Post
This may have been covered much earlier in this thread but I cant seems to find it.

Two things,

I'm considering fabbing a dashboard of sorts for the bike to hold Speedo, GPS, phone mount and power output. Possibly including switches and I was wondering if anybody had pictures of their setups for such a thing.

Also, how can I tell if my stator is stock or upgraded? I'm assuming mine's stock as the PO didn't mention anything on it. I'd like to add an auxiliary light to help with my seemingly anemic headlight, and I'm not sure what it could handle.

I LOVE pictures so don't be shy

Thanks,

PCK
Since you want more light, the stock stator isn't going to do it for you. yes it's around 75~80 watts and the bulb is only 35 but that peak output. Figure significantly less at anything below 4K rpms. typically you want an electrical load that's using 65~75% of the stator's output to compensate for reduced output at lower RPMs (which is the reason Honda puts a 35w bulb in a 75w system). A 55w bulb is going to be very dim at most rpms and marginal at higher rpms and forget adding additional lights. You got 3 choices if you want some decent light. 200w aftermarket stator, rewind your own or get yourself a stator of the EX 4 wheeler (around 120w). You need to remember it's designed as a dirtbike, the electrical system really isn't designed to give you a usable headlight at night.
RideFreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:24 AM   #4090
AndyCap
Mineral Oil Anyone?

As promised:

As far as I can tell, other than the seat, everything is stock.

Today i went to start this beast, and damn what a pain in the ass. I tried the tricks previously posted, but she was stubborn. Having full faith in my fellow inmates, I figured there was something inhibiting starting.

- The air filter was caked with grime and dirt.
- The gas smelled stale

So I emptied the tank entirely, and scrubbed the air filter good. She was still a bitch to start, but I got her going, and once I did, she ran great. I had two back fires, so I am thinking timing is suspect here. My guess is the previous owner didn't know how to maintain his bike.

I took her out and got a few laps around the property. The ground os frozen, so it is a bit tough going, but still had fun.

A couple of quick questions if I may.

1) What size socket does the spark plug take? I tried the normal spark plug sockets I have, and they didn't seem to fit.

2) Am I supposed to hold the compression lever when trying to start the bike? I was foggy on that. It seems the answer would be yes, because the reason for compression check is to make it easier to kick.

3) What would you say is the best shop manual for this bike?

4) If I check the compression, what should it read?

I have a thousand more, but they should be answerable with a good shop manual.

Thanks folks!!
Old 01-03-2012, 12:12 PM   #4091
jbakerinc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughrk View Post
I just have to ask how you cleaned up the tank and airbox?

I currently have cr500 showas like yours on my bike, fitting a set of kybs soon, got the yokes polished and cleared and the new bearings for the bigger stem waiting.

Nice ride, go get it dirty....
New tank and sanded then black fusion paint on the airbox.
jbakerinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:14 PM   #4092
Czechsix
Slower than you....

Oddometer: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCap View Post
As promised:
1) What size socket does the spark plug take? I tried the normal spark plug sockets I have, and they didn't seem to fit.

2) Am I supposed to hold the compression lever when trying to start the bike? I was foggy on that. It seems the answer would be yes, because the reason for compression check is to make it easier to kick.

3) What would you say is the best shop manual for this bike?

4) If I check the compression, what should it read?

I have a thousand more, but they should be answerable with a good shop manual.

Thanks folks!!
1 - get the stock honda one, it's a thinwall deep socket and a pain in the ass to find
2 - No, you'll never start the bike holding the decomp. Use the decomp when you've laid the bike down, it's hot, and it's laughing at you as you try to start...basically use it to clear the cylinder. If you don't have leg strength, or no auto decomp, you can also use it to get to TDC for a quicker start. So...get it to just past TDC, no throttle, choke fully on if cold, idle a quarter turn up or so, and kick it over.
3 - download it, it's on the net. Factory manual.
4 - 100 - 142 according to manual, which is basically kicking it over. I've seen them run lots lower though, lol.
Neduro to Dakar 2012
TEAM F5 2012 WHAT A GREAT RIDE!
Czechsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:43 PM   #4093
AMCJEEP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
How cold was it up there today? It did not break 30 in CT. I know my bike is not jetted for the cold weather, and when it is cold it is much harder to start, and will back fire a couple of times. When it is warm, it runs great.
AMCJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:54 PM   #4094
AndyCap
Mineral Oil Anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMCJEEP View Post
How cold was it up there today? It did not break 30 in CT. I know my bike is not jetted for the cold weather, and when it is cold it is much harder to start, and will back fire a couple of times. When it is warm, it runs great.

25 degrees here, but the bike was garaged, so it was plenty warm. I think I need to go through adjustiong valves and timing before I get too worked up - lol.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:45 PM   #4095
pirate37
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
XR Mods

Hi all. Sure seems to be a lot of talk about pumper carbs on here. Not sure about that mod myself as my 4 starts just fine under any circumstances. Can anyone tell me what the particular issue is with the good old 38mm standard carb? Maybe I am a bit conservative...
Just put on some ProTaper bars and risers, 25 litre tank and Ego Barkbusters.... sweet.
Thanks for any input
pirate37 is offline   Reply With Quote