Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2012, 06:58 AM   #4441
windquest
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumbacheech View Post
Any issues with the trail Tech headlight & the oil cooler? how is the spacing? I have been thinking of adding a XR400 oil cooler to my XRL.

Cheers,

Cumbacheech
Works good, You can't tell in that picture but the headlight doesn't make any contact with the cooler. It is however a tight fit... really updated the look of the bike.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:11 AM   #4442
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by windquest View Post
Works good, You can't tell in that picture but the headlight doesn't make any contact with the cooler. It is however a tight fit... really updated the look of the bike.
Contact isn't the problem people were identifying lol - its the fact that you've completely blocked airflow. Coolers don't work when there's nothing to take the heat away. As a minimum precaution I'd swing by harbor freight and pick up a heat gun for $20. Depending on how necessary the oil cooler is on these bikes you may have severely compromised your oil system - or it might be no big deal for where and how you ride.

Quote:
What's the best bang for buck footpeg to fit the little piglet, not looking to spend more than the purchase price on them either. Just looking for an oversize job.
A lot of folks over on thumpertalk swear by the $20 ebay jobs. Apparently you might need to tweak with them a bit to get a good fit but they're the same size as IMS and 1/4 of the price. I haven't run these personally.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:37 AM   #4443
windquest
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallrat View Post
Contact isn't the problem people were identifying lol - its the fact that you've completely blocked airflow. Coolers don't work when there's nothing to take the heat away. As a minimum precaution I'd swing by harbor freight and pick up a heat gun for $20. Depending on how necessary the oil cooler is on these bikes you may have severely compromised your oil system - or it might be no big deal for where and how you ride.

A lot of folks over on thumpertalk swear by the $20 ebay jobs. Apparently you might need to tweak with them a bit to get a good fit but they're the same size as IMS and 1/4 of the price. I haven't run these personally.
There has been no increase in engine temps measured by the trailtech vapor. To be fair the placement of the cooler is poor for airflow due to the high fender which blocks the airflow from the cooler. The only way to give the cooler air flow would be to use a rally style low fender...
Old 04-12-2012, 08:41 AM   #4444
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 31,353
as cool as this looks, are you willing to wager the motor for cool looks? If so, ride close to home...these XRs are a bitch to push!

DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:47 AM   #4445
windquest
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
as cool as this looks, are you willing to wager the motor for cool looks? If so, ride close to home...these XRs are a bitch to push!

Refer to my previous post
Old 04-12-2012, 10:40 AM   #4446
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

As I said it may or may not even be an issue depending on where/how you ride and how sharp the engineer's pencil was the day he decided the 400 needed an oil cooler.

Where is your trailtech taking a temperature reading from? Most people I think run it to the cylinder bolt in which case you wouldn't see any immediate change in temperature even if you removed the oil cooler. Oil temp isn't the same as head temp and you could be destroying your oil and still having the same temperature as always on the head. If you figured out a good way to run the trailtech as an oil temp sensor I'd like to see that since I've been unable to figure out one on my own.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:37 AM   #4447
cbig
Rift- Raft, SCooter Trash

Oddometer: 876
Wallrat

Quote:
Oh well that's interesting. I might have to look into that a bit more.
Naw - u don't need a new trans... what u need is one of these - picked up this gently used xr600 for $1500 - handles the high speed and open dez just fine -and - check out that seat! Keep ur xr400 company.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:43 AM   #4448
windquest
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
As I said it may or may not even be an issue depending on where/how you ride and how sharp the engineer's pencil was the day he decided the 400 needed an oil cooler.

Due to the location of the cooler directly above the fender, the amount of airflow it sees in stock headlight form is negligable due to the huge amount of turbulence created by the high fender. As an engg myself, the honda engineers who put the cooler there would have been well aware of the fluid dynamics & heat transfer properties of placing a cooler there with a high fender. That being said, the cooler in this specific case and location transfers most of its heat in radiation and natural convection. The engineers who designed this would have likely used this cooler as an "oil resevoire", not as a cooler.

Where is your trailtech taking a temperature reading from? Most people I think run it to the cylinder bolt in which case you wouldn't see any immediate change in temperature even if you removed the oil cooler. Oil temp isn't the same as head temp

Aggreed

and you could be destroying your oil and still having the same temperature as always on the head.

The only way oil is destroyed is by overheating or contamination, therefore if the engine ran at a higher temperature, the oil temperature would as a result also increase in temperature, though not at the same rate.

If you figured out a good way to run the trailtech as an oil temp sensor I'd like to see that since I've been unable to figure out one on my own.
I'll keep you posted, as we will probably mess around with the position of the sensor to find the best spot for it, possibly tapping into the resevoir in the frame...

****The bike is not mine, I did the work for a friend, I don't remember where the sensor was placed, I believe it was placed on the sparkplug. Next time I see him i'll double check. A note as well, the bike is completely stock, not uncorked or modified in any way other than the dual sport kit.

In my oppinion, the oil cooler on the XR400R is just an external oil resevoir like the aftermarket ones available for the KTM RFS bikes. They add capacity, while transfering a small amount of heat. If you want the oil cooler to be functional while mounted to the head tube of any bike, you would need to run a low fender and move the headlight mask up. This can easily be seen on any Dakar spec bike running a smiliar setup.***
Old 04-12-2012, 02:13 PM   #4449
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

I've suspected that the oil cooler on the XR4 wasn't really needed for cooling purposes, although I'm generally not one to ride when the mercury hits triples. It looks like you got some of the points I was trying to make but I would definitely check the oil temp with the headlight mounted and the bike being ridden hard and make sure it's well below breakdown temps. Would be silly to cook your friend's engine just to run a specific headlight.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:37 PM   #4450
owtcast
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Did some maintenance on the old girl recently. Stripped her ass down for a cleaning and lubing. .

Stripped off the airbox and subframe to get to the carb and do some cleaning.

And to make room for this baby.

While at it, I went ahead and port matched/ ground the welds out of the header pipe.

And took care of this too. I grease it up about twice a year. I've never had it stick. The horror stories give me plenty of incentive to take care of it.

Bought an FMF Q4 slip on to compliment the new carb, exhaust port, snorkle delete. It runs very nice now.

owtcast screwed with this post 04-12-2012 at 06:30 PM
owtcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:25 PM   #4451
Rman237
Banned

Oddometer: 768
Quote:

In my oppinion, the oil cooler on the XR400R is just an external oil resevoir like the aftermarket ones available for the KTM RFS bikes. They add capacity, while transfering a small amount of heat. If you want the oil cooler to be functional while mounted to the head tube of any bike, you would need to run a low fender and move the headlight mask up. This can easily be seen on any Dakar spec bike running a smiliar setup.***
Sorry dude but I'll beg to differ, I did the XR400 oil cooler mod on my 650L and the results were dramatic. It dropped the oil temp a whopping 50 degrees, no shit!! So to say the oil cooler is nothing more than a reservoir warrants a fair amount of speculation.
Rman237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:09 PM   #4452
Wudscrasher
Stand-Up Philosopher

Oddometer: 4,022
I was wondering where to post this, so this seems as good a place as any.

Background:

Riding with a few inmates on Sunday here in Ft. Collins to recon Donner Pass and see what/if trees we can clear. Bike is a '96 XR400 with a 410 piston (PlayzInMud's old bike I resurrected from the dead!). I admit, I haven't 'checked' the oil since September, when I did the last change. Only about 300 miles since. At the time, I did a top-end check due to head bolts stripping, so I adjusted cam-chain, valves, etc...all that stuff. To Spec. Filled the fluids then, and ran like a dream until I parked it in November!

Sunday Situation:

After about 20 minutes of city-riding and getting behind slow-pokes around the reservoir, I opened-up the throttle to let it run WFO for a few. Soon after, the rear locked-up, and I was in an 80mph full-rear-lock-slide, the bike about 30 degrees to the right (still going straight, mind you) engine dead for the 200' or so. It fired again for a second, then locked up again, another slide. Re-fired, so I kept it back down to 40mph for a few miles, and seemed fine. Rode the rest of the day with no problems, except my K270 has a 6" melted spot on the brand-new (well, 80 miles on them) tire

Diagnosis?:

#1: I'm a dumbass and didn't check the oil level, even when I *thought* I knew it was Ok

#2: It wasn't the oil level, there's an issue with the gearbox, in that it doesn't like the RPMs or speed I was carrying (yes, my XR registered 83.4mph on the GPS)

#3: My chain got harmonic and caught on the CigarMike center stand, and I'm over-thinking this (in which case, the chain should have disintegrated instantly)

#4: #1 + #2

Any other thoughts? I welcome "your (sic) a dumbass" comments, but only if they're accompanied by serious recommendations. Even then, I won't comment on your grammar :klay

P.S. Even ATGATT, I never thought of "laying her down"...I had riding to do...
'94 DR 350SER
Wudscrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:17 PM   #4453
windquest
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rman237 View Post
Sorry dude but I'll beg to differ, I did the XR400 oil cooler mod on my 650L and the results were dramatic. It dropped the oil temp a whopping 50 degrees, no shit!! So to say the oil cooler is nothing more than a reservoir warrants a fair amount of speculation.
Im just saying that most of that heat reduction doesn't come from airflow over the cooling fins, but from the added oil capacity of the cooler and associated lines.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:49 PM   #4454
Rman237
Banned

Oddometer: 768
Quote:
Im just saying that most of that heat reduction doesn't come from airflow over the cooling fins, but from the added oil capacity of the cooler and associated lines.
And I'm just saying that the oil cooler does exactly what it's designed to do. Now come on, you can feel the heat just by simply putting your finger next to the fins. Your trying to convince me that more heat is transferred naturally due to extra volume than through the oil cooler? Get real!
Rman237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:19 AM   #4455
Light Rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wudscrasher View Post
I
Sunday Situation:

After about 20 minutes of city-riding and getting behind slow-pokes around the reservoir, I opened-up the throttle to let it run WFO for a few. Soon after, the rear locked-up, and I was in an 80mph full-rear-lock-slide, the bike about 30 degrees to the right (still going straight, mind you) engine dead for the 200' or so. It fired again for a second, then locked up again, another slide. Re-fired, so I kept it back down to 40mph for a few miles, and seemed fine. Rode the rest of the day with no problems, except my K270 has a 6" melted spot on the brand-new (well, 80 miles on them) tire

Diagnosis?:
Damn dude... no idea on the diagnosis. But glad to hear you stayed on top of it...
I might have left an equivalent skid mark in my shorts, too.