Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2012, 11:22 AM   #4591
GurgaonTrails
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Neutral

Finding neutral woes continue.

After the bike has warmed up, it's just a game of chance that I'll find neutral. So trail stops while waiting for others are really about holding the clutch in....cant be good. But yet, after the bike's cooled down, it snicks into neutral real easy.

Other than that all gears shift nice and easy while warm or running, and there's no trouble of any sorts.

What do I need to fix? Any ideas folks?
Could it be just as simple as a oil-change (due soon) or maybe I should put in a new clutch cable?

Himalayan Ride Report 1997 | Ladakh again (2012)
GurgaonTrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:01 PM   #4592
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by GurgaonTrails View Post

After the bike has warmed up, it's just a game of chance that I'll find neutral. So trail stops while waiting for others are really about holding the clutch in....cant be good. But yet, after the bike's cooled down, it snicks into neutral real easy.

Other than that all gears shift nice and easy while warm or running, and there's no trouble of any sorts.

Could it be just as simple as a oil-change (due soon) or maybe I should put in a new clutch cable?
A fresh clutch cable never hurts, then change the oil to Valvoline Racing 4t 10w 40 and if the problem still persists you need to check the clutch basket for notching. I doubt this is the case though and am fairly sure the problem will go away with the new clutch cable and oil change.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1009935
bobbed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:24 PM   #4593
Wallrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 601
Is your clutch properly adjusted? I generally use the nickel trick. Should be able to just slide a nickel into the gap made between the lever/perch when you pull the clutch lever to remove slack. A hard to find neutral is almost always going to be the clutch not disengaging fully.
12 Kuberg Start
13 Kuberg Cross
Wallrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:07 PM   #4594
birds
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Just had the same issue and it was the clutch cable starting to fray. Wish this discussion happened a week ago :

birds screwed with this post 05-31-2012 at 02:47 PM
birds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:02 PM   #4595
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 887
Quote:

Go to a lighter oil weight, made a huge difference for me. I was using 15-40 and dropped down to 5-30 and I could find neutral a lot easier after that.
Clem Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:29 AM   #4596
GurgaonTrails
Adventurer

Thanks guys. I'm going to try that nickel trick....wonder if it works with Indian currency :)

And yes, I was told my cable had just about started to fray.....so new one will go in this weekend. Along with a new perch....which was also showing age.

Adding in Motul 300v oil 10w40 (synthetic). That's just about the best available here.

Hope it sorts out....got a 3000km ride up in the Himalayas coming up. Taking photos without easy Neutrals will be a real bitch!

BTW - The XR will hit 18000 foot altitude, not sure if anyone's taken one that high up.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:56 AM   #4597
sectrew
n00b

Oddometer: 5
I have a full exhaust if anyone is looking. Fmf powerbomb header and a power core 4 muffler. it sits in my garage I don't own my xr anymore. It was on my bike for 200 road miles. Offers?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-01-2012, 01:28 AM   #4598
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by sectrew View Post
I have a full exhaust if anyone is looking. Fmf powerbomb header and a power core 4 muffler. it sits in my garage I don't own my xr anymore. It was on my bike for 200 road miles. Offers?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
Where do you live? Is it a loud one?
Clem Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:48 AM   #4599
Wallrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 601
Quote:
Thanks guys. I'm going to try that nickel trick....wonder if it works with Indian currency :)

And yes, I was told my cable had just about started to fray.....so new one will go in this weekend. Along with a new perch....which was also showing age.

You just want about 2mm of a gap between the lever and perch when you pull the slack out by putting some tension on the lever. A nickle is just easier to maneuver than a tape measure.

While you're getting one new clutch cable, might as well get 2. Zip tie the second cable to the one that's in use. That way if you ever have the cable snap while on a ride you can fix it in a minute or two.
12 Kuberg Start
13 Kuberg Cross
Wallrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:05 AM   #4600
GurgaonTrails
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallrat View Post
You just want about 2mm of a gap between the lever and perch when you pull the slack out by putting some tension on the lever. A nickle is just easier to maneuver than a tape measure.

While you're getting one new clutch cable, might as well get 2. Zip tie the second cable to the one that's in use. That way if you ever have the cable snap while on a ride you can fix it in a minute or two.
I love that second cable idea. In fact I read about it in a ride report just yesterday and planned on doing it. I'm glad you brought it up, because I had already forgotten .

I wish someone had experience with the double tubes in tire thing as well....would have loved to have that worked out before my trip....Tubliss wont reach me in time.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:22 PM   #4601
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,239
Quote:
I love that second cable idea. In fact I read about it in a ride report just yesterday and planned on doing it. I'm glad you brought it up, because I had already forgotten .

I wish someone had experience with the double tubes in tire thing as well....would have loved to have that worked out before my trip....Tubliss wont reach me in time.
Double tubes won't work, to much heat build up and friction will shred an extra tube in a tire.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:38 AM   #4602
GurgaonTrails
Adventurer

Blinkers

I decided to put in turn signals (indicators/blinkers)
They do come ON, but dont blink....

Would anybody be able to offer suggestions?
Wanted to be sure they could work before drilling the mounting holes on the front light unit.

Oh also, would a 50watt bulb work for the headlight? Instead of the standard 30 or 35 watt it came with?

I have a Euro spec XR.....from what I've read on the thread they seem to have both AC and DC circuits....
And I have no real idea what I'm talking about when I say that......

Old 06-02-2012, 12:19 PM   #4603
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,496
Quote:
I decided to put in turn signals (indicators/blinkers)
They do come ON, but dont blink....

Would anybody be able to offer suggestions?
Wanted to be sure they could work before drilling the mounting holes on the front light unit.

Oh also, would a 50watt bulb work for the headlight? Instead of the standard 30 or 35 watt it came with?

I have a Euro spec XR.....from what I've read on the thread they seem to have both AC and DC circuits....
And I have no real idea what I'm talking about when I say that......
You really need to find a european XR service manual. The north american XR400 manual only covers our primitive AC electrical system. FYI, AC = alternating current...like what is in your house, but 12 volts...DC = direct current is like what comes out of a battery....otherwise the only thing i can say right now is that a turn signal flasher wants NOTHING to do with AC...so get on line, learn some electric basics and maybe find a cheap voltmeter....also, if you are going off into the Himilayas, I really doubt turn signals are worth the trouble. Make sure the clutch/transmission is 100% good instead.
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:47 PM   #4604
GurgaonTrails
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
You really need to find a european XR service manual. The north american XR400 manual only covers our primitive AC electrical system. FYI, AC = alternating current...like what is in your house, but 12 volts...DC = direct current is like what comes out of a battery....otherwise the only thing i can say right now is that a turn signal flasher wants NOTHING to do with AC...so get on line, learn some electric basics and maybe find a cheap voltmeter....also, if you are going off into the Himilayas, I really doubt turn signals are worth the trouble. Make sure the clutch/transmission is 100% good instead.
Hey thanks Ed. Well, actually I did kinda know what AC and DC was....I think I wanted to say the same thing as youd did.....what would blinkers not blinking have anything to do with AC or DC...
Bike's at a mechanic's, he's got the tools. Maybe he's not such an expert after all.

And yeah, clutch/transmission/tyres all good. One special addition for the commute up till there....putting in a horn!
Excited about taking a proper bike up there...been there three times on Enfields. That was nice, but this one should be nicer.

Old 06-02-2012, 02:00 PM   #4605
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,496
Post some mountain pictures for us....or put a trip report together elsewhere on ADVrider....not many folks here have done the Himalayas
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote