Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2012, 04:36 AM   #4831
Dexter2811
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
mmmmm... again, 25K and still no issues, I heard the piston pinging more than often, opened her up and not a single mark, no oil smokes, no nothing... I guess I could run it another 25K or more in the same condition. By the price I paid the cylinder kit I'd totally buy another one. In fact, I'm planning to buy another NX4 and do the same conversion right out of the dealer...

I can run side by side to an XR600 with my bike and it weights 160Kgs Dry!

Sure, raising the compression is a way to shorten the life expectancy, but I haven´t seen any sign yet! and I ride every day 2-up, have made 5000 Kms trips loaded up and rode in severe windy conditions (60 km/h front winds).
Old 08-22-2012, 11:59 AM   #4832
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlysurfer View Post
So your on a limited budget ie one that can't support thousands going out the door each week, what's your order of importance for making the old XR better. for enduro to dual sport type.

In no particular order, but I think I'd rather have the bike handle right before I make it go like stink

USD Forks or brace, and spring/revalve stock fork
rear shock rebuild and setup for my fat arse
pumper carb
cams
stroker crank
stator
headlight
crf450

lets hear what you think

If you really want to go fast, get the crf. I like my modded XR, but the bone stock crf450x I rode blows it away. Handling, power, everything.

If you want to ride at night, do the stator and headlight. For either bike.

In order of what I'd do:
Springs? Absolutely. Front and Rear.
Fork brace? Maybe, but a bad one is worse than nothing.
USD forks? Big improvement for the $. But it is a lot of $ and work. It depends on the supply of used forks in your area.
Pumper carb? It makes the bike run a little better, but it will use 50-75% more fuel off road.
Cam? The good ones are expensive, the cheap ones break. I'd get a 450 instead.
Crank? No idea. I'd get a 450.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:16 PM   #4833
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallrat View Post
Any reputable builder will agree that raising the compression is the best way to shorten the life expectancy of the engine. I'm not saying your engine will blow within ____ years, I'm just saying that the XR400 is renowned for its reliability. That's its major selling point! Sure you can build the crap out of it, trash the reliability, but in the end you'll have an engine with power comparable to a stock CRF450. Better IMO to play to the natural strengths and weaknesses of a given machine, and stop trying to figure out how to turn a pickup truck into an indy car.
Does every forum known to exist always have trolls?

If my stock crank lasts longer than 50k miles I am gonna replace it regardless if it was ran in a stock engine OR a modded engine. Thanks for enlightening us all with your never ending knowledge though.
bobbed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:21 PM   #4834
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter2811 View Post
mmmmm... again, 25K and still no issues, I heard the piston pinging more than often, opened her up and not a single mark, no oil smokes, no nothing... I guess I could run it another 25K or more in the same condition. By the price I paid the cylinder kit I'd totally buy another one. In fact, I'm planning to buy another NX4 and do the same conversion right out of the dealer...

I can run side by side to an XR600 with my bike and it weights 160Kgs Dry!

Sure, raising the compression is a way to shorten the life expectancy, but I haven´t seen any sign yet! and I ride every day 2-up, have made 5000 Kms trips loaded up and rode in severe windy conditions (60 km/h front winds).
Yep, I beat on mine for 2 years straight, and never did I have one single issue from my build. Except I ran a 11:1 426cc on premium pump fuel.
bobbed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:47 PM   #4835
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
I'm making a valid point based on the consensus of decades of people that know more about engines than anyone on this forum, myself included. Also, I'm not saying that you should or shouldn't mod your engine or any other part of your bike - to each their own. All I'm saying is that you were wrong in saying that raising the compression doesn't do any harm. I think if you're going to give people advice then its prudent to inform them of the benefits as well as the potential pitfalls. I didn't realize that giving people both good and bad outcomes so that they might make an informed decision was considered trolling.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:10 PM   #4836
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,302
Quote:
I'm making a valid point based on the consensus of decades of people that know more about engines than anyone on this forum, myself included. Also, I'm not saying that you should or shouldn't mod your engine or any other part of your bike - to each their own. All I'm saying is that you were wrong in saying that raising the compression doesn't do any harm. I think if you're going to give people advice then its prudent to inform them of the benefits as well as the potential pitfalls. I didn't realize that giving people both good and bad outcomes so that they might make an informed decision was considered trolling.
It's not, it's prudence.

Speaking of which, it's about time to get mine running again. It's been sitting too long while I un-fucked the GS.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:12 AM   #4837
G600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 415
Quote:
Jupp. Strange. Maybe he just had a fight with the wife
G600 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:17 AM   #4838
Dexter2811
Gnarly Adventurer

I just tossed my point here, I'm not thinking that you are a troll (that's bobbed).

I'm only saying, that getting a 11:1 compression in an XR engine will not be that bad, in fact at that compression ratio you can still use premium gas, and if your engine doesn't ping you are not having that much issue. Check how many Big bore or high comp conversions are and how many of them are trully having issues.

By the price you pay one of those kits I think you get a lot of benefits, in a year and a half and 26000 kms (yup, I did 1000 this weekend) I had no single issue and I do have a grin in my face every time I hit the magic button.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:27 AM   #4839
Diravi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
I'm running a 426 @ 11.0:1, no issues, 4k dirt only kms, so no long term review yet. But the synt oil comes out clean and thick at the 1k km oil changes, so I'm optimistic. I like to think if I give more attention to the bike (like better oil), it will run as much as a stock but neglected one. An example for the latter is a local city parcel courier XR400, it did 70k kms in 5 years on cheap diesel oil, with no engine work.

Wallrat, your are not a troll, keep posting!

Dexter2811, could you share with us some images of your NX4, I always wanted one but they were not available here in Hungary.
Diravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:47 PM   #4840
Dexter2811
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diravi View Post
I'm running a 426 @ 11.0:1, no issues, 4k dirt only kms, so no long term review yet. But the synt oil comes out clean and thick at the 1k km oil changes, so I'm optimistic. I like to think if I give more attention to the bike (like better oil), it will run as much as a stock but neglected one. An example for the latter is a local city parcel courier XR400, it did 70k kms in 5 years on cheap diesel oil, with no engine work.

Wallrat, your are not a troll, keep posting!

Dexter2811, could you share with us some images of your NX4, I always wanted one but they were not available here in Hungary.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:24 PM   #4841
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
Now that looks fun!
Old 08-23-2012, 03:19 PM   #4842
Dexter2811
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Now that looks fun!

Indeed, and it's a great allrounder... the only downside it has is the weight, it's 168 Kgs wet (1/4 fuel tank), and the gas tank being metal is another downside, at least to use it the way I do...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyW4sJVQsrw

(No dents on it tho)

It's slightly different from the XR engine, as it has a 8.8:1 compression ratio, a 38mm CV carb, and a lot of emission control tubing (Which has gone with the 440 kit), and a 15/40 sprockets.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:00 PM   #4843
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 29,797
I would LOVE electric start on mine
DrLewall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:27 PM   #4844
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
I would LOVE electric start on mine
You and me both.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:06 PM   #4845
birds
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
So, has anyone put on an additional oil reservoir? I want to increase my capacity for longer change intervals and better engine longevity. I'm thinking just mounting a cylinder parallel to the frame tube, tapping it into the top and bottom.

Anyone do anything like this?
birds is online now   Reply With Quote