Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2012, 08:25 PM   #5056
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 474
Daystar makes some pretty pimp looking guards. They're on their site as shock guards for trucks and such but supposedly they're adjustable since I've seen em on bikes too.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:48 AM   #5057
franga
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Thumb Stator output v baja dual sport

Hi guys,
Just wondering what the go is with baja duel sports kits and stators. i would like to upgrade to a 200w stator for extra light but not sure if everything on the baja designs kit will be cool with the extra output. I dont have the baja kit or the stator yet so just wondering what the best thing to do will be.
also their is an option on XR's only for the stator with either NO STATOR or BD-300112 what would you select if also buying a 200w ricky stator?
Cheers
franga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:27 AM   #5058
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Baja Designs tends to be overpriced for what you get IMO. Their quality is average, but their prices are top of the line. Plus there's nothing they give you that you can't put together on your own (and save quite a bit in the process). If you want to build your own, check your local laws but at most you'll need:

DOT headlight
4 blinkers (just go with LED)
LED Flasher Relay
Handlebar switch
12v horn
mirrors
Fender mount w/ tail light/licence plate light (again, splurge on LED)
DOT Tires
Exhaust that meets DOT noise levels
Can get all of that at RMATV: http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/c/...227/Electrical

If you're determined to just buy a kit, pretty much anything with a universal fit DOT headlight will work. I'd look at these guys: http://www.procycle.us/dskits/dskit.htm

For stators I prefer Ricky Stator. Their customer service is legendary. I usually convert my machines to DC when I upgrade their stators. 1st one I converted myself with help from the guys at RS over the phone. 2nd one I just called and told them I wanted my XR400 stator DC and they did it free of charge - shipped same day too.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:52 AM   #5059
franga
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Talking

Thanks for the quick reply!
I will defiantly look into doing it myself now as I have a big trip (25000 k's or so) lined up in a year, so I want everything to work well and be able to trust it in the middle of Iran or wherever.
I will also be fitting a gps and a vapor computer to the beast as well. what sort of battery do you recommend?
Cheers
franga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:06 PM   #5060
MartiniUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,378
XR4-big feet

I have a size 12 foot and find it IMPOSSIBLE to keep my foot out of the shifter when standing. Not a problem when sitting. If I cannot find a good solution I am going to sell the bike before I ruin the trans. Have been riding 40+ years and never had this problem. I do have IMS Pro pegs but have had this problem before installing them. When I raise the shifter it really cramps my ankle. Suggestions???
MartiniUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:13 PM   #5061
jason922
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Hey guys!
I'm new to this forum and to forums in general. I've been a off road dirtbike rider and racer for a lot of years but am now looking for something different to do. Since I love all things motorcycles and I had an old XR400 in my garage I thought I would dual sport it and see how I like it. I bought all the stuff I thought I needed to build my own dual sport kit and have it mostly under control. I was searching all over the internet for info and stumbled accross this forum and found lots of info. The only problem that I am having is the battery. I installed a 200 watt stator and a regulator/rectifier so I have DC power. Do I have to install a battery? And if I do can it be a small one like most the kits come with? And finally if I can install a small one can I charge it off the bikes power? Any info would really be helpful!
Thanks!
jason922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:37 PM   #5062
Czechsix
Slower than you....

Oddometer: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartiniUp View Post
I have a size 12 foot and find it IMPOSSIBLE to keep my foot out of the shifter when standing. Not a problem when sitting. If I cannot find a good solution I am going to sell the bike before I ruin the trans. Have been riding 40+ years and never had this problem. I do have IMS Pro pegs but have had this problem before installing them. When I raise the shifter it really cramps my ankle. Suggestions???
I've got a size 12 foot too, but I don't have this problem. What I do find myself doing, even while I'm standing, is moving my feet around...from ball to arch. I guess I've just gotten used to it. Alternately, weld up an extension.....
Neduro to Dakar 2012
TEAM F5 2012 WHAT A GREAT RIDE!
Czechsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:40 PM   #5063
Roostboy101
Narry Uvencherer

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czechsix View Post
I'll shoot some pics later this week when I pull it apart.
She's together and running! I just messed with it for a while and figured it out! Thanks though!
Roostboy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:29 PM   #5064
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason922 View Post
Hey guys!
I'm new to this forum and to forums in general. I've been a off road dirtbike rider and racer for a lot of years but am now looking for something different to do. Since I love all things motorcycles and I had an old XR400 in my garage I thought I would dual sport it and see how I like it. I bought all the stuff I thought I needed to build my own dual sport kit and have it mostly under control. I was searching all over the internet for info and stumbled accross this forum and found lots of info. The only problem that I am having is the battery. I installed a 200 watt stator and a regulator/rectifier so I have DC power. Do I have to install a battery? And if I do can it be a small one like most the kits come with? And finally if I can install a small one can I charge it off the bikes power? Any info would really be helpful!
Thanks!

Its been awhile since I did it but when converting to DC you need to move or add a wire on the stator itself - float the ground they call it. I'd call Ricky Stator and they can fill you in. In regards to a battery you need either battery or a capacitor. The small batteries I've ran don't seem to last very long so once they dont hold a charge I just cross out battery and write 'capacitor' on them in crayon and call it good.

Quote:
Sounds like you just need to 1) not ride on your heels and 2) try adjusting the position of the shift lever. Can pull it off and rotate it up or down a spline or 2. If all else fails, I believe a 400ex (quad) shifter will fit the shaft and is longer.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:56 PM   #5065
PCK_4xCustoms
lost

Oddometer: 250
in line with the ''big foot' thought process how about this issue.

I'm 6'4'' and lanky. Some call me 'gangletron'

I have a 1'' riser and 2.5'' high bars, but still when standing I have to hunch over.
I feel my peg to seat height is too short and I'd like to lower my pegs,
has anyone done this??

I know one side is bracket mounted but for some reason the eeediot designers thought it a better idea to
frame -form mount the other side

Speaking on the battery/capacitor thoughts you can build your own battery pack at cheapbatterypacks.com
mainly for R/C application but im sure you could build a 12v small pack.

'95 XT350 (plated) SOLD

(2.5) '73 XL250's SOLD
PCK_4xCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:18 PM   #5066
jason922
n00b

Quote:
Its been awhile since I did it but when converting to DC you need to move or add a wire on the stator itself - float the ground they call it. I'd call Ricky Stator and they can fill you in. In regards to a battery you need either battery or a capacitor. The small batteries I've ran don't seem to last very long so once they dont hold a charge I just cross out battery and write 'capacitor' on them in crayon and call it good.
Thanks for the info Wallrat! The capacitor sounds like a good idea, I don't need anything to run after I shut the bike down so that might work. I got the bike started and I got voltage but it was about 8 volts at idle and just over 18 just above idle so I thought I might need a battery to get a more consistant voltage. Also not sure if it would harm the regulator/rectifer if I didn't have a battery.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:50 PM   #5067
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Yeah I'm not sure tbh. I've had electricians tell me both cases were true (need a batt/cap and don't need a batt or cap). The guy that said that you need one made the better argument - bunch of mumbo-jumbo about floating voltage and other stuff I didn't really understand but it sounded like the zombie apocalypse would ensue if I chose not to run one or the other.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:48 PM   #5068
jason922
n00b

Quote:
Yeah I'm not sure tbh. I've had electricians tell me both cases were true (need a batt/cap and don't need a batt or cap). The guy that said that you need one made the better argument - bunch of mumbo-jumbo about floating voltage and other stuff I didn't really understand but it sounded like the zombie apocalypse would ensue if I chose not to run one or the other.
Well looks like its trial and error time! Just hope the error doesn't happen out in the middle of the desert! Thanks for all your help!
Old 10-22-2012, 09:06 PM   #5069
jason922
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Trick View Post
Did the search so if it’s been covered my apologies.

Has anyone installed a Scotts damper using the BRP sub-mount upper triple clamp and forward-mounted tower? I like this setup because there is no welding and it doesn’t block the oil fill location.

http://www.brpmoto.com/products?page...tegory_id=1471

I’m still in love with my 14 year old XR even though I ride with a bunch of orange “button pushers”.

I installed a Scotts damper on my 97, couple of things I liked and a couple I didn't. The thing I liked is it raised my handle bars a lot, if you like where your stock bars are now you my not like it. The things I didn't like was it is still hard to get to your dipstick, the damper is in the way. But the biggest pain is the damper arm up front. You have to re-route your cables and it isn't easy! I am vary picky about my controls and no matter how I routed them it made everything stiffer. The damper worked great after I got all the details ironed out tho. But I still struggle with the way it makes my throttle and clutch feel
Old 10-22-2012, 10:05 PM   #5070
Rman237
Ride Rural Texas

Oddometer: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
you might wanna rethink the fender bag in front of the oil cooler..I had to

Did you have cooling problems? I bought the fender bag for the KDX as it has zero storage space but put it on the fender of the 440 on the last ride just for kicks. Oil temps stayed in the trusty 200* range even with the bag obstructing the airflow. This topic was on my mind but it never materialized into anything.
Rman237 is online now   Reply With Quote