Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 07:10 PM   #5266
XR4EVER
919 excuses to ride!

Oddometer: 1,083
Don't know if anyone is watching, but I figured I'd share some more XR footage from over the summer. Shaky footage, but you get the idea....

Old 12-12-2012, 07:40 PM   #5267
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR4EVER View Post
Don't know if anyone is watching, but I figured I'd share some more XR footage from over the summer. Shaky footage, but you get the idea....
That trail looks perfect for the XR. Hope I get to ride it sometime. How big is the trail network around that area?
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:52 PM   #5268
XR4EVER
919 excuses to ride!

Oddometer: 1,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olas View Post
That trail looks perfect for the XR. Hope I get to ride it sometime. How big is the trail network around that area?
PM sent.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:28 PM   #5269
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,205
electric start?

I know this topic has been around awhile. I have most of the stuff needed to do this. I am missing the one way bearing and the crank shaft extension. I have to drill a new bolt hole in the tranny for the starter, there is a tab there for this. The one way bearing can be purchased new from Honda. I may need a different shifter or bend it out a ton. I need to build something to mount the battery. Does anyone sell the extension for the crank seperate?

I wonder if people who have done this could contact me using e mail
stillrn at gmail dot com to tell me the ups and downs of this, their experience. The biggest issue I have is the bike is a bitch to start, maybe I should just purchase the Edelbrock carb and be happy!

Thanks people. Love my XR400R but it doesn't get much use.
2004 Honda XR400R
JimmieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:52 PM   #5270
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmieA View Post
I know this topic has been around awhile. I have most of the stuff needed to do this. I am missing the one way bearing and the crank shaft extension. I have to drill a new bolt hole in the tranny for the starter, there is a tab there for this. The one way bearing can be purchased new from Honda. I may need a different shifter or bend it out a ton. I need to build something to mount the battery. Does anyone sell the extension for the crank seperate?

I wonder if people who have done this could contact me using e mail
stillrn at gmail dot com to tell me the ups and downs of this, their experience. The biggest issue I have is the bike is a bitch to start, maybe I should just purchase the Edelbrock carb and be happy!

Thanks people. Love my XR400R but it doesn't get much use.
It's been a LOONG time since I looked into e-start for the XR....but I recall the crankshaft extension was to eliminate the need for a crankshaft change from the XR400 bike to the ATV crank...then along came the crankshaft extension, which was a double taper cone doodad to somehow allow the XR bike crank to be used....and in fact, this bit was the only totally NON honda part...except of course for the battery box and cables etc...

Am I all wet here...or just an old fart with a bad memory...............????
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:25 PM   #5271
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,239
You are correct, and the company in the UK that makes them has one left in stock. It was priced at about 50% of what I bought my XR for.
tbarstow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:30 PM   #5272
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 32,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch67 View Post
C'mon in, m' brother!

Stretch is pretty "industrious"..maybe we can get him to make us some crank extensions!
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:04 PM   #5273
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow View Post
You are correct, and the company in the UK that makes them has one left in stock. It was priced at about 50% of what I bought my XR for.
Do you have the link? What is the price?
Does anyone know what material this piece is made of? Does it have to be hardend steel like a crank or can it be softer material? Anyone know a CNC machinest that would make one of these for me? I looked at the transmission casting, I would have to drill a hole in the tab for the second starter bolt, any one know about this, like how deep is too deep?
2004 Honda XR400R
JimmieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:14 PM   #5274
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Does anyone know what material this piece is made of? Does it have to be hardend steel like a crank or can it be softer material? Anyone know a CNC machinest that would make one of these for me? I looked at the transmission casting, I would have to drill a hole in the tab for the second starter bolt, any one know about this, like how deep is too deep?
I'm willing to bet this little devil will be $$$$.....a precision conical taper on one end....the other end a precision INTERNAL conical taper....precision in that it needs to extend the crank that has a flywheel/alternator magnets that spin 10,000 RPM...with NO runout whatsoever
Old 12-15-2012, 03:18 AM   #5275
Wilson9068
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
I think the supplier you are after was a company called XR Stuff. Last time I looked they had gone out of business. I bit the bullet and bought a starter kit from them about two years ago. I still have the instruction manual somewhere I think. The phone number was 0161 4278887. www.xrstuff.co.uk. The crank adapter really is a piece of work.
Wilson9068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:37 AM   #5276
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,239
Quote:
If you really want an electric start XR400, go find a TRX400EX motor, like the blown up one in my garage, and rebuild it.
tbarstow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:29 PM   #5277
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,116
It's probably easier to replace the crank than make an adapter. There are a couple of used cranks on ebay now for under $100, and new weisco kits for under $300.
Luke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:38 PM   #5278
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
It's probably easier to replace the crank than make an adapter. There are a couple of used cranks on ebay now for under $100, and new weisco kits for under $300.
All XR & TRX cranks are pressed together...right?...assuming one has a 100% good XR engine, wouldn't it make sense to press off the alternator end of the XR crank, and press on the "long starter end" of the used TRX crank?

But also, aren't there some extra little mods to the XR frame to get the wider "starter motor equipped" engine into it?

I've had an XR since 1997...wanted an e-start on it since 1998....and, as some would say, putting e-start on an XR is like putting a silk dress on a pig....but I still like the idea.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:49 PM   #5279
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR4EVER View Post

ooooh...my aching ass made it thru something like that in 1997 in CO on an XR250....only to end up hitting a pimple in the road, by comparison, and getting a nasty tib-fib fracture near Steamboat springs
Old 12-15-2012, 07:16 PM   #5280
Tachedoutoffroad
Mr. Parrish

Oddometer: 632
I sold my 400 and have a built to the hilt xr250/300....

I miss my 400 though the 250 is 20% better in the woods-woods, but the 400 was more fun on any trail wider than my handlebars.

Am I crazy/ stupid?

I didn't grow up riding dirt bikes and I just simply like the power

Buy it back??? I find myself trying to take the 600 out on the power lines because the power is so fun on the hills. It's a big ole bitch in the trees though still 20lbs lighter than a DRZ
Support your local know-it-all gear guy and give your money to Brian at https://www.atomic-moto.com/
Tachedoutoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote