Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2013, 09:43 AM   #5641
XR4EVER
919 excuses to ride!

Oddometer: 986
The small piece was still in place with the bent pin attached when I stopped to fix it. I loosened the axle, removed the small piece and pinched the remaining section of the bracket in place just to ride back to the truck. Rocky Mountain ATV has that part on sale for $118. I guess I have no choice. I'm not paying $91 off ebay for a used one.

I'm still confused how it exactly happened. I was pounding on the bike, but nothing unusual. The old XR was hanging with a AA Pro racer on a new-to-him '12 KTM EXC 500, leaving his friends on a KXF 450 and XCW 300 in the dust. I love this bike.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:15 AM   #5642
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 28,583

HDF did you do that? I aint never seen that before..will be keeping an eye out for mine tho..good luck!
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:16 AM   #5643
G600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Weird. Was the rear axle nut tight?
G600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:50 AM   #5644
XR4EVER
919 excuses to ride!

It was plenty tight. I went down on that side a few times previous to that during failed hillclimb attempts , but there are no marks on the caliper or guard like it took a hard hit. The only thing I can think is that there was a reason that all the pressure of the axle nut was being placed on the part that stayed in after it broke, leaving all the vibrations to put leverage that one spot. If the entire "U" had even and equal clamping force on it, it wouldn't have been able to come out, or break in the first place for that matter. Either there was a proud spot in the rear of the casting, my inner swing arm surfaces aren't parallel, or my chain tightening cams aren't accurate and my axle was cocked to the left.

I am still trying to figure out how it got out after it broke. It would have had to slide forward rather than backward due to the remaining part of the "U", and how did that pin bend like that?!!! The bent pin makes me think it was a violent action rather than vibration.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:53 PM   #5645
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR4EVER View Post
It was plenty tight. I went down on that side a few times previous to that during failed hillclimb attempts , but there are no marks on the caliper or guard like it took a hard hit. The only thing I can think is that there was a reason that all the pressure of the axle nut was being placed on the part that stayed in after it broke, leaving all the vibrations to put leverage that one spot. If the entire "U" had even and equal clamping force on it, it wouldn't have been able to come out, or break in the first place for that matter. Either there was a proud spot in the rear of the casting, my inner swing arm surfaces aren't parallel, or my chain tightening cams aren't accurate and my axle was cocked to the left.

I am still trying to figure out how it got out after it broke. It would have had to slide forward rather than backward due to the remaining part of the "U", and how did that pin bend like that?!!! The bent pin makes me think it was a violent action rather than vibration.
Are you still looking for a replacement? I might be able to help
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:54 PM   #5646
XR4EVER
919 excuses to ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
Are you still looking for a replacement? I might be able to help
I appreciate the offer, but I think I already found a freebee on Thumper Talk.

Thank you!
Old 03-12-2013, 03:31 PM   #5647
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Quote:
I appreciate the offer, but I think I already found a freebee on Thumper Talk.

Thank you!
Awesome!
Old 03-12-2013, 05:00 PM   #5648
KilLeR Kawasaki
Marky A

Oddometer: 899
Quote:
Originally Posted by G600 View Post
It is repairable, don't be to bummed. XR4 frames are made of mild steel, easy to weld.

XR4 frame rust in not uncommon, do a search.
I've seen on TT that the XR400 frame is chromoly and takes special juju to weld correctly. What is the real answer?!
http://motodelmundo.blogspot.com/
KilLeR Kawasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:14 PM   #5649
XR4EVER
919 excuses to ride!

From what I understand, these bikes were listed as having high tensile steel frames. Chromoly is high tensile steel, just a high-end grade alloy at the upper end of the "high tensile" grading system. I'm pretty sure they would have bragged about using chromoly rather than just HT steel. Having successfully welded parts of my frame without heat treating it (with no stress cracks over the years), I would vote against it being chromoly.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:26 PM   #5650
XR4EVER
919 excuses to ride!

I just got an email from the pro-level rider I went out riding with on Saturday. I had to share part of his email here. Classic.

"Today I was heckling Chris (KX450 rider) about
playing his crashes on the big screen at work. He said "Ryan gets
around great on that XR400". He was probably thinking the same thing
as I was when I first rode with someone on a XR400, thinking it will
be a slow ride, then when they take off, OH CRAP, I hope I can keep up
with that Dinosaur. Funny how no matter how much bling someone puts
on their bike, it doesn't make you a better rider, just a rider with
less money."
Old 03-14-2013, 04:06 AM   #5651
xr400r
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,947
Quote:
I just got an email from the pro-level rider I went out riding with on Saturday. I had to share part of his email here. Classic.

less money."
I agree. Last i knew EVERYONE rides a dirt bike for pleasure/fun unless you are racing professionally.

Ride what you want to ride and have fun. I have three bikes one is a xr400. I like it and it is fun only thing i would change is better brakes and better suspension. Motor is fantastic for they type of riding i do.
xr400r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:40 AM   #5652
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Quote:

less money."

I loves me little ole dinosaur!

Edit: Signature material.."Funny how no matter how much bling someone puts
less money."

DrLewall screwed with this post 03-14-2013 at 03:55 PM
Old 03-14-2013, 11:08 AM   #5653
Stretch67
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 4,098
Dang right. I've been riding trail bikes for over thirty years, but none of them were bigger than 250cc, and they were decades-old four-strokes at that. I had to learn better throttle control on the XR4. You'd better have the bike pointed in a safe direction, 'cause when you snap the throttle open, this puppy moves.

You've got a bike the size and weight of a 250, but with half-again more cc's. Kinda like a sleeper hotrod with a big-block.
XR400 Index
Stretch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:11 PM   #5654
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,170
Electric Start

I finally got the short crank extension piece from Switzerland ($400) and was a little surprised. I had to purchase 3 new bearings at $20 each to use the new part. Than I had to machine out the ring gear to fit the new bearings with a lathe. The instructions were basically nonsense. I decided to pay a professional to do the install to give me a little peace of mind. My mechanic started on my bike late today, I should know how it went tomorrow and I'll post here.
2004 Honda XR400R
JimmieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:18 PM   #5655
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmieA View Post
I finally got the short crank extension piece from Switzerland ($400) and was a little surprised. I had to purchase 3 new bearings at $20 each to use the new part. Than I had to machine out the ring gear to fit the new bearings with a lathe. The instructions were basically nonsense. I decided to pay a professional to do the install to give me a little peace of mind. My mechanic started on my bike late today, I should know how it went tomorrow and I'll post here.

holy crap...for that kinda $$ you coulda bought a whole newrebuilt 400 crank/rod assembly from wiseco and other suppliers....a few more $$ & you coulda got a stroker and made a 460 cc e-start XR!
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote