ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 09:43 AM   #5641
XR4EVER
919 excuses to ride!
 
XR4EVER's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Post Falls, ID
Oddometer: 986
The small piece was still in place with the bent pin attached when I stopped to fix it. I loosened the axle, removed the small piece and pinched the remaining section of the bracket in place just to ride back to the truck. Rocky Mountain ATV has that part on sale for $118. I guess I have no choice. I'm not paying $91 off ebay for a used one.

I'm still confused how it exactly happened. I was pounding on the bike, but nothing unusual. The old XR was hanging with a AA Pro racer on a new-to-him '12 KTM EXC 500, leaving his friends on a KXF 450 and XCW 300 in the dust. I love this bike.




__________________
"It's strange to have a creation out there - a deeply mutated version of yourself, running loose and screwing everything up. I wonder if this is how parents feel." -Dexter
XR4EVER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:15 AM   #5642
DrLewall
The Human GPS
 
DrLewall's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Drakes Creek, AR
Oddometer: 28,583


HDF did you do that? I aint never seen that before..will be keeping an eye out for mine tho..good luck!
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:16 AM   #5643
G600
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Iceland
Oddometer: 392
Weird. Was the rear axle nut tight?
G600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:50 AM   #5644
XR4EVER
919 excuses to ride!
 
XR4EVER's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Post Falls, ID
Oddometer: 986
It was plenty tight. I went down on that side a few times previous to that during failed hillclimb attempts , but there are no marks on the caliper or guard like it took a hard hit. The only thing I can think is that there was a reason that all the pressure of the axle nut was being placed on the part that stayed in after it broke, leaving all the vibrations to put leverage that one spot. If the entire "U" had even and equal clamping force on it, it wouldn't have been able to come out, or break in the first place for that matter. Either there was a proud spot in the rear of the casting, my inner swing arm surfaces aren't parallel, or my chain tightening cams aren't accurate and my axle was cocked to the left.

I am still trying to figure out how it got out after it broke. It would have had to slide forward rather than backward due to the remaining part of the "U", and how did that pin bend like that?!!! The bent pin makes me think it was a violent action rather than vibration.
__________________
"It's strange to have a creation out there - a deeply mutated version of yourself, running loose and screwing everything up. I wonder if this is how parents feel." -Dexter
XR4EVER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:53 PM   #5645
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Dearborn MI
Oddometer: 1,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR4EVER View Post
It was plenty tight. I went down on that side a few times previous to that during failed hillclimb attempts , but there are no marks on the caliper or guard like it took a hard hit. The only thing I can think is that there was a reason that all the pressure of the axle nut was being placed on the part that stayed in after it broke, leaving all the vibrations to put leverage that one spot. If the entire "U" had even and equal clamping force on it, it wouldn't have been able to come out, or break in the first place for that matter. Either there was a proud spot in the rear of the casting, my inner swing arm surfaces aren't parallel, or my chain tightening cams aren't accurate and my axle was cocked to the left.

I am still trying to figure out how it got out after it broke. It would have had to slide forward rather than backward due to the remaining part of the "U", and how did that pin bend like that?!!! The bent pin makes me think it was a violent action rather than vibration.
Are you still looking for a replacement? I might be able to help
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:54 PM   #5646
XR4EVER
919 excuses to ride!
 
XR4EVER's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Post Falls, ID
Oddometer: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
Are you still looking for a replacement? I might be able to help
I appreciate the offer, but I think I already found a freebee on Thumper Talk.

Thank you!
__________________
"It's strange to have a creation out there - a deeply mutated version of yourself, running loose and screwing everything up. I wonder if this is how parents feel." -Dexter
XR4EVER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:31 PM   #5647
DrLewall
The Human GPS
 
DrLewall's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Drakes Creek, AR
Oddometer: 28,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR4EVER View Post
I appreciate the offer, but I think I already found a freebee on Thumper Talk.

Thank you!
Awesome!
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:00 PM   #5648
KilLeR Kawasaki
Marky A
 
KilLeR Kawasaki's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Littleton, Colorado
Oddometer: 899
Quote:
Originally Posted by G600 View Post
It is repairable, don't be to bummed. XR4 frames are made of mild steel, easy to weld.

XR4 frame rust in not uncommon, do a search.
I've seen on TT that the XR400 frame is chromoly and takes special juju to weld correctly. What is the real answer?!
__________________
2008 Kawasaki KLR650
2001 Honda XR400R
Colorado Dual Sport Riders
http://motodelmundo.blogspot.com/
KilLeR Kawasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:14 PM   #5649
XR4EVER
919 excuses to ride!
 
XR4EVER's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Post Falls, ID
Oddometer: 986
From what I understand, these bikes were listed as having high tensile steel frames. Chromoly is high tensile steel, just a high-end grade alloy at the upper end of the "high tensile" grading system. I'm pretty sure they would have bragged about using chromoly rather than just HT steel. Having successfully welded parts of my frame without heat treating it (with no stress cracks over the years), I would vote against it being chromoly.
__________________
"It's strange to have a creation out there - a deeply mutated version of yourself, running loose and screwing everything up. I wonder if this is how parents feel." -Dexter
XR4EVER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:26 PM   #5650
XR4EVER
919 excuses to ride!
 
XR4EVER's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Post Falls, ID
Oddometer: 986
I just got an email from the pro-level rider I went out riding with on Saturday. I had to share part of his email here. Classic.

"Today I was heckling Chris (KX450 rider) about
playing his crashes on the big screen at work. He said "Ryan gets
around great on that XR400". He was probably thinking the same thing
as I was when I first rode with someone on a XR400, thinking it will
be a slow ride, then when they take off, OH CRAP, I hope I can keep up
with that Dinosaur. Funny how no matter how much bling someone puts
on their bike, it doesn't make you a better rider, just a rider with
less money."
__________________
"It's strange to have a creation out there - a deeply mutated version of yourself, running loose and screwing everything up. I wonder if this is how parents feel." -Dexter
XR4EVER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:06 AM   #5651
xr400r
Beastly Adventurer
 
xr400r's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: riding usa
Oddometer: 2,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR4EVER View Post
I just got an email from the pro-level rider I went out riding with on Saturday. I had to share part of his email here. Classic.

"Today I was heckling Chris (KX450 rider) about
playing his crashes on the big screen at work. He said "Ryan gets
around great on that XR400". He was probably thinking the same thing
as I was when I first rode with someone on a XR400, thinking it will
be a slow ride, then when they take off, OH CRAP, I hope I can keep up
with that Dinosaur. Funny how no matter how much bling someone puts
on their bike, it doesn't make you a better rider, just a rider with
less money."
I agree. Last i knew EVERYONE rides a dirt bike for pleasure/fun unless you are racing professionally.

Ride what you want to ride and have fun. I have three bikes one is a xr400. I like it and it is fun only thing i would change is better brakes and better suspension. Motor is fantastic for they type of riding i do.
xr400r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:40 AM   #5652
DrLewall
The Human GPS
 
DrLewall's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Drakes Creek, AR
Oddometer: 28,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR4EVER View Post
I just got an email from the pro-level rider I went out riding with on Saturday. I had to share part of his email here. Classic.

"Today I was heckling Chris (KX450 rider) about
playing his crashes on the big screen at work. He said "Ryan gets
around great on that XR400". He was probably thinking the same thing
as I was when I first rode with someone on a XR400, thinking it will
be a slow ride, then when they take off, OH CRAP, I hope I can keep up
with that Dinosaur. Funny how no matter how much bling someone puts
on their bike, it doesn't make you a better rider, just a rider with
less money."


I loves me little ole dinosaur!

Edit: Signature material.."Funny how no matter how much bling someone puts
on their bike, it doesn't make you a better rider, just a rider with
less money."

DrLewall screwed with this post 03-14-2013 at 03:55 PM
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:08 AM   #5653
Stretch67
Mad Scientist
 
Stretch67's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Bent, but not broken
Oddometer: 4,098
Dang right. I've been riding trail bikes for over thirty years, but none of them were bigger than 250cc, and they were decades-old four-strokes at that. I had to learn better throttle control on the XR4. You'd better have the bike pointed in a safe direction, 'cause when you snap the throttle open, this puppy moves.

You've got a bike the size and weight of a 250, but with half-again more cc's. Kinda like a sleeper hotrod with a big-block.
__________________
IBA # 33113
Alaska
Blue Ridge Parkway & Outer Banks
XR400 Index
Stretch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:11 PM   #5654
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Eastern Canada
Oddometer: 1,170
Electric Start

I finally got the short crank extension piece from Switzerland ($400) and was a little surprised. I had to purchase 3 new bearings at $20 each to use the new part. Than I had to machine out the ring gear to fit the new bearings with a lathe. The instructions were basically nonsense. I decided to pay a professional to do the install to give me a little peace of mind. My mechanic started on my bike late today, I should know how it went tomorrow and I'll post here.
__________________
JimmieA.
Atlantic Canada.
2008 Honda XL1000V Varadero
2004 Honda XR400R
JimmieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:18 PM   #5655
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Dearborn MI
Oddometer: 1,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmieA View Post
I finally got the short crank extension piece from Switzerland ($400) and was a little surprised. I had to purchase 3 new bearings at $20 each to use the new part. Than I had to machine out the ring gear to fit the new bearings with a lathe. The instructions were basically nonsense. I decided to pay a professional to do the install to give me a little peace of mind. My mechanic started on my bike late today, I should know how it went tomorrow and I'll post here.


holy crap...for that kinda $$ you coulda bought a whole newrebuilt 400 crank/rod assembly from wiseco and other suppliers....a few more $$ & you coulda got a stroker and made a 460 cc e-start XR!
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014