Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2013, 02:56 PM   #5731
MartiniUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
I just got done replacing the original clutch cable on the XR..not likely that Larry replaced it when he had it 15 yrs ago and I have never replaced it. That cable is 17 years old, not bad eh..got my monies worth out of it, anyway, MUCH BETTER! Clutch is very smooth and easy to pull..the friction point is different tho so I will have to get use to that..at first it kinda threw me off a bit. I almost launched the XR as the friction point came on real quick! I can adapt!

I am ready for the hillbilly run
The inline adjuster is probably set different. That is always the first place to start. But I am sure the Doc already knew that!
MartiniUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:51 AM   #5732
rheritage
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Plating In Georgia

All,

Anyone with experience plating an XR400 in Georgia? I'm considering a purchase but wanted to know what I might expect going through the registration process. I realize I will need to purchase one of the Dual Sport kits but wanted to find out if there are any specific problems plating one in Georgia.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Rich

R100RS Sold, R80RT Sold, 1150RT Traded, RC51 Sold, KLR685 Sold, W650 Sold, CB1100F Traded, 1100S BCR Traded
rheritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:39 AM   #5733
mvg2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Quote:
Good to see the bike where it belongs
Hey Chris

She's back up in PA getting dirty. How's the ktm compare to the xr btw? (always looking for my next bike)
mvg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:48 AM   #5734
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

Oddometer: 6,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by rheritage View Post
All,

Anyone with experience plating an XR400 in Georgia? I'm considering a purchase but wanted to know what I might expect going through the registration process. I realize I will need to purchase one of the Dual Sport kits but wanted to find out if there are any specific problems plating one in Georgia.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Rich
It's nearly impossible to get a Japanese dirt bike registered here in GA. KTM's aren't so hard because the intended use for KTM's is written quite vaguely, and there is no 'Off-Road Use Only' restriction on the Title. One of my buds has a 300EXC that he plated, and it took little more than proof of insurance and the title. The bike has no high beams, no horn, no turn signals, no brake light, etc. The tag office drones never even looked at the bike because the Title had no restrictions. Therefore it must be street-legal, right?

The rub lies in the Title. If the Title specifies 'For Off-Road Use Only', you can forget it. Nobody at any tag office in the state is going to touch that one.

With your experience with older BMW's, I presume you know that vehicles older than 15 years don't need a Title, merely a Bill Of Sale. Until recently, no XR400 was old enough to to ignore the Title and buy with merely a Bill Of Sale. Perhaps if you buy a '96 or '97 and have a Bill Of Sale, the tag office folks may accept it since there is no 'Off-road' restriction on the Bill Of Sale. It's possible that there is a list of off-road bikes in the Ga DMV database that would red-flag a dirt bike being registered, but I really don't think so. If there were, the lady at my tag office would have picked up on that, regardless of the Title.

If you absolutely must have a street-legal XR400, the least labor-intensive way to get it plated in Georgia is to buy one that's already plated in a state where it's not so difficult, and merely transfer the Title once you get it here.

I lucked out and found a Colorado-Titled street-legal frame here on ADV and snatched it up. I have one of the very few street-legal XR400's in Georgia, and I'm clinging to it.

I love Savannah, by the way. Lucky devil.
XR400 Index

Stretch67 screwed with this post 04-06-2013 at 08:58 AM
Stretch67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:21 AM   #5735
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

The Mad Scientist performs a back-alley eye transplant.

MUUUA-HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

So... a few days ago I played it a bit too fast and loose with Toxic Britney and got banned for a week.

Here's what I accomplished with no ADV to waste my valuable time...

Buell Lightning headlights on custom brackets, with a flyscreen cut and shaped from the original XR4 piece.

They're not wired yet, since the stock stator probably won't even make them flicker. But it'll come together before long.

She has a rather purposeful expression now.

XR400 Index

Stretch67 screwed with this post 04-06-2013 at 11:09 AM
Old 04-06-2013, 09:37 AM   #5736
KilLeR Kawasaki
Marky A

Oddometer: 954
Question I posed on Thumpertalk

Can an XR400 lose a quart or more of oil in 80 miles or 3 hours?
Colorado Dual Sport Riders
KilLeR Kawasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:43 AM   #5737
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilLeR Kawasaki View Post
Can an XR400 lose a quart or more of oil in 80 miles or 3 hours?

That is what seems to be happening. Put 2 quarts of oil in when I changed the oil a couple of weeks ago. Rode it a while and the oil seemed to be at the top of the mark on the stick. Had at least two checks that showed it at the top.

Fast forward to the other day when I take it out for a nice romp down some dirt roads. Quite a bit of riding at around 50 mph, toward the top of its range with a 13 front and 45 rear.

When I get home, there is no oil showing on the stick. Period. No billows of blue smoke. It seems the bike has a hollow leg. I experienced this before as well.

Can the rings be this messed up? The cylinder and piston were replaced by PO. That is all I know about that. I had a complete valve job done, valves, guides, springs.

Scratching my head. I don't know if there is any damage done at this point.
I replied on TT, but here it is again for our live studio audience...

You know you're supposed to check the stick within a couple minutes of shutting off the engine, right?

If there are no leaks and you weren't fogging the area with clouds of smoke, I believe your oil is still in the bike, merely down in the engine.

Take the bike for a five-minute ride around the neighborhood, then shut it down and check the stick (bike upright and level) after about a minute.
XR400 Index
Old 04-06-2013, 11:12 AM   #5738
rheritage
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch67 View Post
It's nearly impossible to get a Japanese dirt bike registered here in GA. KTM's aren't so hard because the intended use for KTM's is written quite vaguely, and there is no 'Off-Road Use Only' restriction on the Title. One of my buds has a 300EXC that he plated, and it took little more than proof of insurance and the title. The bike has no high beams, no horn, no turn signals, no brake light, etc. The tag office drones never even looked at the bike because the Title had no restrictions. Therefore it must be street-legal, right?

The rub lies in the Title. If the Title specifies 'For Off-Road Use Only', you can forget it. Nobody at any tag office in the state is going to touch that one.

With your experience with older BMW's, I presume you know that vehicles older than 15 years don't need a Title, merely a Bill Of Sale. Until recently, no XR400 was old enough to to ignore the Title and buy with merely a Bill Of Sale. Perhaps if you buy a '96 or '97 and have a Bill Of Sale, the tag office folks may accept it since there is no 'Off-road' restriction on the Bill Of Sale. It's possible that there is a list of off-road bikes in the Ga DMV database that would red-flag a dirt bike being registered, but I really don't think so. If there were, the lady at my tag office would have picked up on that, regardless of the Title.

If you absolutely must have a street-legal XR400, the least labor-intensive way to get it plated in Georgia is to buy one that's already plated in a state where it's not so difficult, and merely transfer the Title once you get it here.

I lucked out and found a Colorado-Titled street-legal frame here on ADV and snatched it up. I have one of the very few street-legal XR400's in Georgia, and I'm clinging to it.

I love Savannah, by the way. Lucky devil.
Thanks for the info, of the two bikes I'm considering none have titles, they would be bill of sale only, both built later than year 2000.

R100RS Sold, R80RT Sold, 1150RT Traded, RC51 Sold, KLR685 Sold, W650 Sold, CB1100F Traded, 1100S BCR Traded
rheritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:14 AM   #5739
Skought
Shadetree Mechanic

Oddometer: 85
Wicked Some before and afters

Picked up this 96 XR400R, needed some work, but got it cleaned up and back to and street legal.

Cleaned up the electrical, swapped out the Baja kit for a Tusk with LED lights, swapped out existing handguards for the tusk/led signals
Headlight, Front and Rear Fenders are by Polisport.
Replaced the rear hydraulic brake switch and added one to the front.
Throttle cables and assembly
Chain, front 15t and rear 435t sprockets replaced
Trail Tech Endurance II, removed existing speedo pickup as it was only being used as an odometer(one less cable)
Fender Pack, Seat, and some cammo black to finish it off.

While it was naked, I took care of what was luckily only minor rust.

I picked up a used 5.8 Gal Acerbis Fuel Tank, waiting to see if I really need that much fuel.

From XR400

From XR400

From XR400
Skought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:23 AM   #5740
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheritage View Post
Thanks for the info, of the two bikes I'm considering none have titles, they would be bill of sale only, both built later than year 2000.
Meh. They won't even consider registering your bike without a Title until it's over 15 years old.
XR400 Index
Old 04-06-2013, 11:56 AM   #5741
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skought View Post

I picked up a used 5.8 Gal Acerbis Fuel Tank, waiting to see if I really need that much fuel.
I'll take that off your hands if you decide you don't. Planning TAT and RTW trips and might enjoy owning that.
Clem Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:07 PM   #5742
mvg2
Gnarly Adventurer

Looking for some help from the xr guru's! Clueless

it looks like the free swingarm blessing was a facade...

I have no clue on where or how to start finding the problem. I would really appreciate some input!

Problem

When I went to kickstart the bike the kickstarter went through half the travel and then, suddenly, came to a stop. When it stopped, it produced a "knock" type of sound.

kicked again and she fired. Roughly. Can't quite describe the sound but the idle was inconsistent and the engine was very noisy.

While waiting for my ride home i started the bike up one more time to see and it fired, idled, and revved ok. not sure if i heard something from the bottom end though.

How do I proceed here? I took the right crankcase cover off and discovered that the last clutch plate was not in its individual groove.

Kickstarter looked in check. Not sure if the spring was seated correctly though...

Thanks for reading!
Old 04-06-2013, 04:13 PM   #5743
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 887
So I've been doing some serious maintenance on the XR to prep for the TAT this summer, and potentially a round the world trip; here is the work I've been doing so far.

Clem Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:39 PM   #5744
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvg2 View Post
it looks like the free swingarm blessing was a facade...

I have no clue on where or how to start finding the problem. I would really appreciate some input!

Problem

When I went to kickstart the bike the kickstarter went through half the travel and then, suddenly, came to a stop. When it stopped, it produced a "knock" type of sound.

kicked again and she fired. Roughly. Can't quite describe the sound but the idle was inconsistent and the engine was very noisy.

While waiting for my ride home i started the bike up one more time to see and it fired, idled, and revved ok. not sure if i heard something from the bottom end though.

How do I proceed here? I took the right crankcase cover off and discovered that the last clutch plate was not in its individual groove.

Kickstarter looked in check. Not sure if the spring was seated correctly though...

Thanks for reading!
If the spring wasn't seated correctly, the ks shouldn't return all the way. Unfortunately the clutch plate won't have anything to do with the symptom you describe. You've done what I'd do, pull the RH case cover off and inspect, that area is the most likely place for something to come loose and cause issues. Tough to diagnose from your description, esp since it seems to be working ok now. Heck, just ride it!
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:09 PM   #5745
mvg2
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Heck, just ride it!
That's what I wanted to do, but the idea of it locking up when I would be riding home just didn't sound like fun!

I'm going to pull the valve cover off and see how things are looking up there.

Since it froze up like that kicking, could the bottom end be on its way out? that's my real concern.