Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2013, 07:21 PM   #5761
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
If your chain skipped a tooth you have bigger problems than it being out of time. Is your chain that worn or is your tensioner not working or perhaps the slides too worn?

It's been a long time but can you install the chain tenioner back onto the motor and watch your marks? Taking the tension off the chain can allow it to sit funny.
+1, it's pretty hard for the motor to jump time; chain has to be really stretched so bad the tensioner's travel is used up, or the tensioner is broke, or the motor was assembled wrong.

You could be looking at cc stretch there, its a common wear item. If it's off a tooth it should have run very poorly when you got it restarted, crappy power, slow to rev and won't want to idle. It'd be very obvious in the motor's running.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:15 PM   #5762
mvg2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Quote:
should have run very poorly
Here's a little vid of it. You'll hear it when the camera man makes it to the top. If you listen carefully (i.e. blast the speakers) you'll hear the "knock" and then the horrible sounding idle. Like a metallic wheezing sound.

Oddly, when I was waiting for a ride to get me, I kicked her over and she seemingly idled fine but I didn't want to risk it

Oh...and its a fairly new cam chain..

wvridgerider,

The spring on the inside must not have been working correctly. After removing it, I noticed that after turning the bolt the tensioner did not recoil. So a bolt, a nut, and some JB weld I made it a manual tension one :)

Really don't know how to proceed here. thinking, adjust cam one tooth and see if it index marks are more parallel. fire it up and wish for the best! Otherwise, if adjusting the timing does not put the marks closer to parallel, I may just fire the beast up and go from there; chalking it up as a crazy fluke.

Anyhow, thanks for the responses and let me know if there is anything else i should look for.
mvg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:16 AM   #5763
wvridgerider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvg2 View Post
Here's a little vid of it. You'll hear it when the camera man makes it to the top. If you listen carefully (i.e. blast the speakers) you'll hear the "knock" and then the horrible sounding idle. Like a metallic wheezing sound.

Oddly, when I was waiting for a ride to get me, I kicked her over and she seemingly idled fine but I didn't want to risk it

Oh...and its a fairly new cam chain..

wvridgerider,

The spring on the inside must not have been working correctly. After removing it, I noticed that after turning the bolt the tensioner did not recoil. So a bolt, a nut, and some JB weld I made it a manual tension one :)

Really don't know how to proceed here. thinking, adjust cam one tooth and see if it index marks are more parallel. fire it up and wish for the best! Otherwise, if adjusting the timing does not put the marks closer to parallel, I may just fire the beast up and go from there; chalking it up as a crazy fluke.

Anyhow, thanks for the responses and let me know if there is anything else i should look for.
It ran good for three about three years and not sure what would have happened. Did you check the gear on the bottom end? I hope you figure it out. That was a new chain.
wvridgerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:10 PM   #5764
mvg2
Gnarly Adventurer

Don't know I missed it the first time i was in there, but i'm pretty sure I found where the metallic grinding came from.

when i spin the clutch basket slowly by hand the gear on the back rubs against the red circle (idle gear?) for half a rotation. When it is not rubbing the idle gear has quite a bit of wiggle to it.

What's the verdict? Thinking the countershaft is bent/cracked?

Oh real quick, any tips on removing the clutch basket nut without the clutch basket holder tool dealeeo?
Old 04-08-2013, 07:14 PM   #5765
Captain115
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Oh real quick, any tips on removing the clutch basket nut without the clutch basket holder tool dealeeo?
I found that holding onto the primary drive nut (to the right of the clutch) allowed me to undo the clutch basket easily.

Haven't come up with a clever way to retighten both the nuts though...guess I'll need to find a friend with a air gun.

John
Captain115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:00 PM   #5766
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

Oddometer: 6,014
You can break loose (and re-torque) the big nut on the Primary Gear by using Honda Tool 07724-0010100, which is proudly proclaimed in the Honda XR4 manual as being not available in the USA.

However, there are cheap, plentiful tools available here in the USA that can be used to lock up the gears in order to put sufficient torque on the Primary Gear Nut...

Yep. Stack two pennies and jam them into the gear teeth so the Clutch Basket and Primary Gear can't turn.

XR400 Index
Stretch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:48 PM   #5767
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,947
Quote:
Don't know I missed it the first time i was in there, but i'm pretty sure I found where the metallic grinding came.

when i spin the clutch basket slowly by hand the gear on the back rubs against the red circle (idle gear?) for half a rotation. When it is not rubbing the idle gear has quite a bit of wiggle to it.

What's the verdict? Thinking the countershaft is bent/cracked?

If anything, it is more likely the clutch basket bushing is worn out.

Check that the kickstart assembly is installed and seated properly once you get the basket off..
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:06 PM   #5768
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

If ya got an airwrench and socket, shove a rag in the primary, the penny or small piece of alum works good also but I'd use a holder or rag if you're hitting it with air, leave the plates in since the center hub will spin on it's own, give some pressure to the outer clutch plate and that will usally hold it well enough to break the bolt loose.

I've seen the shafts get galled on the ks idler gears causing slop, sometimes you get lucky and it's just the gear. Replacing the shaft is allot more involved since it requires splitting the cases. You might be able to shim it up so it ckears ok.

I didn't think it jumped time (that's pretty rare) but looking at that other pic you cam chain is stretched pretty good. It'll make the motor sort of lazy running due to inprecise cam timing, probably should replace it while you're in there.

RideFreak screwed with this post 04-08-2013 at 10:15 PM
Old 04-09-2013, 07:36 AM   #5769
AMCJEEP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
I was able to break mine loose by putting it in gear, and putting a ratchet strap on the brake pedal to hold it. I may have also wedged the rear tire with a block of wood. Then I put the ratchet on the nut and hit it with a 5lb dead blow hammer to shock it loose.

Pennies sound much easier though
AMCJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:51 AM   #5770
mvg2
Gnarly Adventurer

thanks for the tips and suggestions guys. Totally appreciate it.

I guess i'll have to dig deep into the couch cushions and scrounge up the appropriate tools to get the nut off :)

the idle gear (when the clutch basket gear isn't rubbing it) has significant slop in it. Countershaft, bearing, both? guess i'll find out once I get the basket off.

i'm surprised that the cam chain has stretched that much already (relatively new). However, when put in the manual tensioner it looked like the tensioner plunger thing was ~1cm from fully extended. Is that a sign that the chain is at the end of its serviceable life?

In any case thanks again for the input and help!
Old 04-09-2013, 01:10 PM   #5771
mvg2
Gnarly Adventurer

That was bust. My blood is boiling, im bumbed out and frustrated with trying to get to something so simple...

Got a 27mm socket and some pennies to get the clutch basket off only to find its not going to happen. Even with the friction and clutch plates installed, only the inner basket spins. Because of this the gear does not rotate and the penny trick is useless. all i could try and do is prevent the real wheel from spinning but with a 3.5ft breaker bar it was impossible.

Pissed that something so simple is such a pain (and the fact that the weather broke up here doesnt help).

Any other ideas. I already tried extreme use of explecitives, kicking tires, and throwing stuff. didn't work.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:32 PM   #5772
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Quote:
That was bust. My blood is boiling, im bumbed out and frustrated with trying to get to something so simple...

Got a 27mm socket and some pennies to get the clutch basket off only to find its not going to happen. Even with the friction and clutch plates installed, only the inner basket spins. Because of this the gear does not rotate and the penny trick is useless. all i could try and do is prevent the real wheel from spinning but with a 3.5ft breaker bar it was impossible.

Pissed that something so simple is such a pain (and the fact that the weather broke up here doesnt help).

Any other ideas. I already tried extreme use of explecitives, kicking tires, and throwing stuff. didn't work.
You can always sacrifice a metel clutch plate, have a 6" x 1/4" bar welded to the outside edge, Basically you'd be making the removal tool. Make sure it's welded in a spot that lets it fit between the fingers of the basket though.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:43 PM   #5773
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,947
Put the bike in gear and either you or someone else needs to hold the rear brake down while you crank the nut loose.
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:35 PM   #5774
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,232
mike...

if you need a second hand (or foot) to hold the rear brake on or whatever, just let me know.

you need to get that thing running and get back out on the trails with us.

signed...

"the cameraman"

(seriously, i don't live that far from you. i can hop on the DRZ and come out and lend a hand some evening if it'll help. i can probably even drag jeff along...he's pretty much a moto mechanic whiz.)
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:48 PM   #5775
uranys
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Mike,

I've got a tusk cluch holder tool your welcome to borrow. It's a glorified pair of vice grips that clamps into the grooves on the inner hub.

I don't think you live too far from me, just drop me a pm if you need it.
uranys is offline   Reply With Quote