Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2013, 03:12 PM   #5776
uranys
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
I watched the video a bunch of times, seems like the noise started after you kicked it in gear?

From the sounds it was making i'd be surprised if whatever was causing the noise didn't have some noticeable wear on it.

As far as the cam timing goes, it looks like your off a tooth although if the xr4s are like the xr6s that shouldn't have caused any problems.
uranys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:00 PM   #5777
mvg2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Hey uranys and spielberg aka "cameraman." pretty ubiquitous yinz two :)

Again, thanks for the continuing of tips. I'm sure one will inevitably result in the clutch basket coming off. Got a busy day tomorrow but thursday I'm going to borrow an impact gun to better my chances. I got to get to the bottom of this pronto.

Thanks for the offers for the help guys. If I cant get the impact gun to work (or obtain it) or welding some stock to a clutch plate (thanks ridefreak), then I'll send out a signal for the big guns to help :)

Jonesin to get back out there with you guys. Had a great (although short lived) time out there and can learn a ton from talking/riding with the collective.

oh, yeah Uranys there certainly is wear and subsequently little ferrous metal bits in the crankcase i've been tryin to get out. The wear if from the idle gear and gear behind the clutch basket rubbing

mvg2 screwed with this post 04-09-2013 at 07:07 PM
mvg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:43 PM   #5778
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

Oddometer: 5,768
While you're in there, be sure to check and clean both oil strainers... the one at the bottom of the down-tube of the frame, and the one in the right side of the case, under the clutch basket.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=850068
XR400 Index
Stretch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:01 AM   #5779
mvg2
Gnarly Adventurer

thanks for the heads up. The one at the bottom of the down tube ive made standard proceedure. Only had two changes (havent had the bike that long yet), the first one had some flakes and the second had less. Going to pull the screen in the crankcase for sure since im in there.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:44 PM   #5780
mvg2
Gnarly Adventurer

It's what I had a suspision it was but hoped it wasn't.

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B

Counter shaft apparently had one too many kicks. Case cracking time!

I'm not well versed in diagnosing pistons and valves, so other than it has been running rich, I dont see anything super abnormal. Your thoughts?

Piston: A ton of carbon build up. I'm planning on just cleaning it up a little and calling it a day.

Same with the valves.

Another quick question. Unless the piston ring gap exceeds service limits, is there any need to put new rings on?

List so far has countershaft, crf450 cam chain, and some gaskets. Assuming all is well inside the case, that should be it right?

Anyhow thanks for all the suggestions and assistance. Hope to be out in a week or so

mvg2 screwed with this post 04-11-2013 at 04:31 PM
Old 04-11-2013, 04:53 PM   #5781
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvg2 View Post
Another quick question. Unless the piston ring gap exceeds service limits, is there any need to put new rings on?
New rings + a hone/cylinder might reap benefits, but at least you will know that the motor was properly broken in.
Clem Kevin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:45 PM   #5782
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,722
Quote:
It's what I had a suspision it was but hoped it wasn't.

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B

Counter shaft apparently had one too many kicks. Case cracking time!

I'm not well versed in diagnosing pistons and valves, so other than it has been running rich, I dont see anything super abnormal. Your thoughts?

Piston: A ton of carbon build up. I'm planning on just cleaning it up a little and calling it a day.

Same with the valves.

List so far has countershaft, crf450 cam chain, and some gaskets. Assuming all is well inside the case, that should be it right?

Anyhow thanks for all the suggestions and assistance. Hope to be out in a week or so
Let me suggest valve guide seals while you're in there, it's a very cheap repair. I suspect at least some of that carbon build up is coming from oil getting past the those seals. I just went through what you're doing, I was going to buy some rings, gaskets and vg seals, priced them out and it was over $100 from Honda. I was able to get a piston kit (piston, rings, gaskets and VG seals) for a little less off fleabay. I went that route. Personally if I go to the trouble to pull the topend, I'm at least putting in rings, anotherwords freshen it up as much as is reasonable since you're in there.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:01 PM   #5783
mvg2
Gnarly Adventurer

I've been convinced

Cylinder is over at the machinists waiting to get a hone and he's got some new rings as well. When I purchased the bike, the previous owner included a gasket kit (totally forgot about this) that has valve seals included.

Next problem (AAhh!)

These cases will not separate. I have never had this happen and am clueless as to why. Any other time some light tapping and away they go. These cases are freakin glued. went around the engine, tapping it, and not a budge. As time went on my tapping slowly began to have a stronger intention and they still did not budge. so here comes the usual question,... Any tips on how to separate these!? or what the culprit could be? Clymer states a damaged crank is a possibility. I would be extremely surprised if it is.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:08 AM   #5784
uranys
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Quote:
I've been convinced

Cylinder is over at the machinists waiting to get a hone and he's got some new rings as well. When I purchased the bike, the previous owner included a gasket kit (totally forgot about this) that has valve seals included.

Next problem (AAhh!)

These cases will not separate. I have never had this happen and am clueless as to why. Any other time some light tapping and away they go. These cases are freakin glued. went around the engine, tapping it, and not a budge. As time went on my tapping slowly began to have a stronger intention and they still did not budge. so here comes the usual question,... Any tips on how to separate these!? or what the culprit could be? Clymer states a damaged crank is a possibility. I would be extremely surprised if it is.
Did you get it apart yet?

If it's sealed with something like three bond it can take a lot of persuasion to get them apart. Heat will often help. There are usually a few places where there is some overhang between the two halves. Use something that won't damage the cases (I usually use pvc with a rubber mallet) and wail away.

If you can't get it with that, I have a case splitting tool you could try.
uranys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:18 PM   #5785
mvg2
Gnarly Adventurer

Success!!

You got a tool for everything over there don't you? :) thanks for the offer, but I got 'em apart. I was just being a big puss and a bonehead. Together, not a good recipe for success.

Ordered the countershaft and the crf cam chain from bike bandit. Hope they gather that shit up quick and get it to my door!
Old 04-16-2013, 08:21 PM   #5786
TheHoff
Don't Hassle Him

Oddometer: 32
Revloc question

I have a line on an inexpensive used Revloc, but the owner says it may need new clutch plates soon. It's not the Dyna ring style- it's the replacement basket + pressure plate system. After researching I can't find any info on replacing the wear parts.

Does anyone know if the older style Revlocs used stock clutch parts?

Given that Revloc is now out of business I don't want to buy something I can't get replacement wear parts for...

Thanks!
TheHoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:55 PM   #5787
wvridgerider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
Quote:
Success!!

You got a tool for everything over there don't you? :) thanks for the offer, but I got 'em apart. I was just being a big puss and a bonehead. Together, not a good recipe for success.

Ordered the countershaft and the crf cam chain from bike bandit. Hope they gather that shit up quick and get it to my door!
How does everything else look? I hope all goes well for you, that is a pretty big stator.
wvridgerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:56 PM   #5788
mvg2
Gnarly Adventurer

Mostly all good. Just some trace pieces of ferrous metal in the case from the aftermath of the countershaft snapping.
Funny you brought the stator up. a couple of the coils actually look like they cooked? Carbon caked. Can't say I've ever seen that before
Old 04-19-2013, 12:16 PM   #5789
tjrockit
One day closer...

Oddometer: 1,210
Adding a Clarke Tank from a XR650L/XR600

Since the XR400R and XR250R are similar, I thought I'd post this info here as well.

Since I own a XR650L, I've noticed that there are several parts that are interchangeable or there are a few parts that are different but overall it's the same thing.

The Clarke tank for the XR650L/XR600 can be mounted to the XR250R but you need different brackets and a petcock for a XR650L/XR600. Same is true for the Acerbis tank.

Here is my install.

Custom fabbed brackets, uses the OEM rubber grommet and collar.

From the custom bracket I made, the measurements are:

1) 7.5 cm
2) 9.5 cm
3) 4.0 cm

I mounted a large piece of clear plastic on the tank and then marked off where I needed the hole that mounts to the frame. I didn't account for the thickness of the bracket, so my measurements are off just a little but with some wiggling and pressure, I was able to get it to bolt on.

Uses the same seat hook off the 250. I added a small washer under the collar to make it a little easier to get the seat hooked.

Here is a side view after it was mounted with the petcock. I added a fuel filter just to be safe.

And there you have it. You can buy a used XR650L/XR600 Clarke tank, fab some mounts, obtain a XR650L/XR600 petcock and away you go.

As a side note, I was a little bummed when I received the used tank. The PO painted the underside of the tank which I couldn't see in the pics. Oh well, small thing but still works.

All I need to do now is field test it.
*** The views or comments I express on this site and/or on any other site/forum/social media are strictly my own and do not reflect any past, current or future employer and/or any organization. They are solely my own personal opinions.***
tjrockit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:37 PM   #5790
tonusmaximus
maximus

Oddometer: 442
im also in midst of changing out xr400 to crf450 cam chain. thanks you guys on the buddy holding down the brake deal, etc. I'm almost at that point. Honda Service turned me away on doin it and I'm glad they did since all I need is here. Its times like this its really good to have more bikes and ADV. Cheers.
tonusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote