Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2013, 09:17 AM   #5851
SpeedoJosh
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 783
So pretty much, there would be no difference in a 98 to an 04 minus the red plastics?
Seems like the pre-2000s just look older.

Been scanning online, what's a good price for a tagged XR400?
'Cause I like to party - Story of 2 XR650s conquering Florida
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=754094
SpeedoJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:21 AM   #5852
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

Oddometer: 5,533
Pretty much, but there were a few subtle changes...

Clicky: http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/152...6#entry1128656
XR400 Index
Stretch67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:20 PM   #5853
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch67 View Post
This is incorrect. All XR400's share the same frame and subframe, which is detachable.
Dunno why I thought that, maybe I've seen too many pictures of xr600 frames?
Clem Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:57 PM   #5854
hughrk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Kevin View Post
Dunno why I thought that, maybe I've seen too many pictures of xr600 frames?
Or early xr250's? Later 250's share subframes with the 400.
hughrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:31 PM   #5855
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughrk View Post
Later 250's share subframes with the 400.
And many other things. The two are so similar that ThumperTalk lumps them both together...

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/18-xr250400/
XR400 Index
Old 05-05-2013, 02:40 PM   #5856
DREAMADVENTURER
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Laugh Swingarm bolt from hell

Well i was hoping that my first post here would be about showing you my new to me XR400 1996 model but luck was never on my side..............
anyway i bought it 1 month ago and my purpose was to bring back to mint condition (plus the fact that im a mechanical engineer but i always told people how to fix staff but never layed a hand and i thought it was time to change that)
Anyway while checking it i realised that the front and back suspension was sugged (forgive my english) so i decided to take the bike apart fix and grease everything and while i was at it, paint the frame etc
so the nightmare began, i couldn take off the swingarm pivot bolt, i read everything on the net, i saw images i didnt want to see ( I still see nightmares about cutting the swingarm) I tried every possible solution, i loosened the engine supports, i raised the bike, i took off the rear suspension, i used heat, i used locktight freeze, wd40, penetrating oil
i used raw force..................nothing
i decided to drill it hopping it would break free or get loose but..............NOTHING
what i managed to do is break the head of the bolt loose but i still cant get any drill bigger than 10mm inside (I think its a matter of tools to be honest)
anyway in a moment of brilliance i decided to use a hacksaw (im not sure if this is how its called) and cut the bolt right next to the frame.....you know...right next to the dust cups.....which i did
Now what? i dont want to cut the swingarm and i dont have a room to use a circular saw, i tried with a dremel but the bushing is very hard the room is very tight and nothing
so here is my big idea and i want your opinion guys on that
As i said the bolt is free from the frame at both sides, so provided that the rear wheel is off and i remove the carburator and all the electrics from the frame if i remove the engine will i free also the swinarm with it?
i mean there is a pivot, if i take the engine off the right side of the frame and tilt it on its side, i think that the swingarm will clear the frame and because there is a pivot point i will be able to get it free
after that i will take the engine and swingarm to a machine shop and hopefully the will manage to release the engine and swingarm
so what do you think?
will it work?
anybody else has done something similar?
any opinions, experiences or ideas on the subject are welcome

DREAMADVENTURER screwed with this post 05-05-2013 at 03:40 PM
DREAMADVENTURER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:25 PM   #5857
MartiniUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,702
Mechanical engineer? This is going to be interesting. Good luck.
MartiniUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:42 PM   #5858
RSP
HappyLivin'

Oddometer: 1
XR Turn Signal Kit

Anyone have any suggestions on turn signal kits for an 88 XR250?
i.e. places to buy, best deals, and is it worth the trouble/money?
RSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:43 PM   #5859
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 31,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by DREAMADVENTURER View Post
so the nightmare began, i couldn take off the swingarm pivot bolt, i read everything on the net, i saw images i didnt want to see ( I still see nightmares about cutting the swingarm)
Meh....been there and done that!

it's tough enough to get the motor out of the frame as it is, let alone with the swing arm still attached. I believe you will be in for a major wrestling match and you will probably make up some new cuss words..BUT, it is worth a try anyway.

Give it a go, take some pictures, and post back here on how it's going..worst case scenerio, you can always cut the swing arm off...
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:31 PM   #5860
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSP View Post

Anyone have any suggestions on turn signal kits for an 88 XR250?
i.e. places to buy, best deals, and is it worth the trouble/money?
It's not impossible, just may take a bit of fabricating to make it all fit... a flasher, the turn signals themselves and fabricating mounts for them, running the wires.

http://www.procycle.us/dskits/dskit.htm#turnsignals

Check your PMs, by the way.
XR400 Index
Old 05-05-2013, 06:10 PM   #5861
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,452
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by DREAMADVENTURER View Post
Well i was hoping that my first post here would be about showing you my new to me XR400 1996 model but luck was never on my side..............
anyway i bought it 1 month ago and my purpose was to bring back to mint condition (plus the fact that im a mechanical engineer but i always told people how to fix staff but never layed a hand and i thought it was time to change that)
Anyway while checking it i realised that the front and back suspension was sugged (forgive my english) so i decided to take the bike apart fix and grease everything and while i was at it, paint the frame etc
so the nightmare began, i couldn take off the swingarm pivot bolt, i read everything on the net, i saw images i didnt want to see ( I still see nightmares about cutting the swingarm) I tried every possible solution, i loosened the engine supports, i raised the bike, i took off the rear suspension, i used heat, i used locktight freeze, wd40, penetrating oil
i used raw force..................nothing
i decided to drill it hopping it would break free or get loose but..............NOTHING
what i managed to do is break the head of the bolt loose but i still cant get any drill bigger than 10mm inside (I think its a matter of tools to be honest)
anyway in a moment of brilliance i decided to use a hacksaw (im not sure if this is how its called) and cut the bolt right next to the frame.....you know...right next to the dust cups.....which i did
Now what? i dont want to cut the swingarm and i dont have a room to use a circular saw, i tried with a dremel but the bushing is very hard the room is very tight and nothing
so here is my big idea and i want your opinion guys on that
As i said the bolt is free from the frame at both sides, so provided that the rear wheel is off and i remove the carburator and all the electrics from the frame if i remove the engine will i free also the swinarm with it?
i mean there is a pivot, if i take the engine off the right side of the frame and tilt it on its side, i think that the swingarm will clear the frame and because there is a pivot point i will be able to get it free
after that i will take the engine and swingarm to a machine shop and hopefully the will manage to release the engine and swingarm
so what do you think?
will it work?
anybody else has done something similar?
any opinions, experiences or ideas on the subject are welcome
Dr. Lewall has a link dedicated to how he solved the exact problem you have. It's listed somewhere in this XR400 posting...start searching.

I solved mine differently by drilling out the swing arm bolt in very tiny steps to free the engine + swing arm from the frame. The swing arm bolt is soft....the bushings in the swing arm are EXTREMELY hard....and are not drillable. It is possible to get the engine+swing arm out of the frame...but is very tricky. Then the swing arm must be cut to bits to get all that off the engine. Then the hardened bushings can be split with a die grinder...this will leave the reminants of the swing arm bolt rusted into the steel bushing in the rear of the engine....at least that's how mine was. Then with lotsa heat, penetrating oil, twisting and pounding I got the swing arm bolt loosened up and was able to pound it out. I spent several days at it.
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:37 PM   #5862
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
Dr. Lewall has a link dedicated to how he solved the exact problem you have.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=532835
XR400 Index
Old 05-06-2013, 12:08 AM   #5863
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 31,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch67 View Post
Oh thanks alot for making me re-live that night mare!

DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:54 AM   #5864
FSRIDER
This guy rides a lot

Oddometer: 66
My new 2003 XR400

I bought this bike in October to replace my 2008 DR650. I fitted it with a dual sport kit last month and have been enjoying it ever since. I always like to brows pictures of all the bikes on this forum so I thought I would share mine as well.

Its been a great bike so far, I put some new plastics and a 4gal IMS tank recently as you can see from the last couple pics. I'm looking forward to some serious dual sporting this summer!
FSRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:14 AM   #5865
KilLeR Kawasaki
Marky A

Oddometer: 939
Your pics aren't showing, but congrats anyways!
Colorado Dual Sport Riders
KilLeR Kawasaki is offline   Reply With Quote