User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2013, 07:50 AM   #5881
Skought
Shadetree Mechanic

Oddometer: 85
Laugh Some ride pictures for last weekend

Family Off Road Adventures puts on a two day run twice a year around the Stanislaus National Forest and Yosemite National Park area. Lots of fire roads, plenty of dust, was a fun weekend.

Link to album
https://picasaweb.google.com/s/c/tra...background.gif) no-repeat left">
FORA-Spring-2013

From FORA-Spring-2013

My XR400 in black

From FORA-Spring-2013

From FORA-Spring-2013

About 90 bikes in all

From FORA-Spring-2013
Skought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:11 AM   #5882
SpeedoJosh
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsryder View Post

I want that...
'Cause I like to party - Story of 2 XR650s conquering Florida
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=754094
SpeedoJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:10 AM   #5883
DREAMADVENTURER
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
You are on the right track, drill out both ends of the bolt then take the engine and swing arm assy out of the frame.
Once on the ground you can put a socket under the pivot, block the swingarm and engine then swing a BIG hammer at that bolt, and I mean BIG.
You are aiming to move the bolt the width of a hacksaw blade, this will allow you to insert a hacksaw blade between the bush in the casing and the bearing bush. You will have to insert the blade then connect the tool frame at a 90 degree from normal angle. Turn over the assy and repeat, job almost done. Just the bit of bolt left in the casing which is easy, one of the bush's will probably come out with the bit of bolt, just split them in a vice.

If you get really, really stuck then cut up your swingarm but its probably not required.
Thats how this Mechanical Engineer did it [/QUOTE]

Well, it was Orthodox Easter here so nothing was done, tomorrow Im starting the operation and Im taking photos as well, so we will have to wait and see what happens
Also i want to say that when I said that I am a mechanical engineer, i never said it to make an impression or add value to my sayings, I said it for 2 reasons, 1. Because its true and 2 to empasize the fact that it is the first time i use my own hands to fix something. I also never considered anyone "lower" than me just because of his profession, i prefer to judge people for who they are after i meet them.
By the way Thanks Hughrk for the answer, i guess ill try to do what you told me, i had thought of that too but there is a limited space when the engine/swingarm assy is in place.
DREAMADVENTURER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:31 PM   #5884
G600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsryder View Post
Nice bike.

Do you have a write up somewhere on this ignition switch? Where you got it, how you wired it, etc...
G600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:50 PM   #5885
FSRIDER
This guy rides a lot

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by G600 View Post
Nice bike.

Do you have a write up somewhere on this ignition switch? Where you got it, how you wired it, etc...

No write up, sorry. But I got the switch with the DS kit I bought fro. Pro Cycle. The kit came with very easy to follow instructions.

Link to my 2010 OBCDR RR http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596782
FSRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:52 AM   #5886
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,833
The procycle switch has 2 circuits, one is normally off (key switch off) that's for a battery powered circuit to cut power when not running. The other circuit is a normally on (key switch off) and is used to ground a connection into the kill circuit shutting off the motor, same effect as pressing the kill switch.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:55 AM   #5887
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughrk View Post
So would I but if you dont have that sort of a workshop available to you then BFH it is.
Take it down to a place that has one. BFHs cause as much damage as they fix, it's your bike though.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:16 AM   #5888
FSRIDER
This guy rides a lot

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
Take it down to a place that has one. BFHs cause as much damage as they fix, it's your bike though.

I have to disagree, I got mine out with a BFH. The right technique and a good punch set goes a long way. A BFG is not always the answer, but it can come in handy sometimes. A little KRIOL works almost as good as heat sometimes too.

Link to my 2010 OBCDR RR http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596782
FSRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:50 PM   #5889
aaron2a
supermoto hooligan

Oddometer: 674
Just got asked If my XR was a drz... That about as bad as asking if a CBR is a gsxr
aaron2a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:36 PM   #5890
G600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
Quote:
The procycle switch has 2 circuits, one is normally off (key switch off) that's for a battery powered circuit to cut power when not running. The other circuit is a normally on (key switch off) and is used to ground a connection into the kill circuit shutting off the motor, same effect as pressing the kill switch.

Thanks. It makes sense to have a ignition switch, at least for plated bikes.
G600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:25 AM   #5891
marc11
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Hey guys just chiming in as a soon to be (picking it up next week) 2002 XR400r owner. I'm sure I will have lots of questions so appreciate in advance the help....now to read through this 300 plus page thread...

The bike is pretty well sorted, pretty clean and AFAIK has low hours (and it is street plated, big reason why I jumped on it), it does not have a dual sport light kit on it at the moment, however I just ordered a Baja Designs one complete with keyed ignition, turns, horn, etc so I can ride legally to the trails. If anyone has any suggesitons on things I should look into right away please feel free to post up.

Two quick questions, what is the opinion regarding needing a case saver and crank case breather? Needless crap or useful crap? Considering the bike is a 2002 and never had these, I am thinking needless...

marc11 screwed with this post 05-09-2013 at 08:09 AM
marc11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:32 PM   #5892
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc11 View Post

Two quick questions, what is the opinion regarding needing a case saver and crank case breather? Needless crap or useful crap? Considering the bike is a 2002 and never had these, I am thinking needless...
All XR400s came stock with a breather and a case saver which is needed to protect that $300 case half. As for the breather, almost every internal combustion motor comes with a crankcase breather of some type. It has at least 2 functions that I can think of off the top of my head. Relieves the pressure in the crankcase, and it removes combustion fumes that adversly contiminate the oil. I'd leave both on the bike.

Good luck with the new ride.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:41 PM   #5893
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 32,465
Quote:
All XR400s came stock with a breather and a case saver which is needed to protect that $300 case half. As for the breather, almost every internal combustion motor comes with a crankcase breather of some type. It has at least 2 functions that I can think of off the top of my head. Relieves the pressure in the crankcase, and it removes combustion fumes that adversly contiminate the oil. I'd leave both on the bike.

^^This
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:30 PM   #5894
marc11
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Quote:

Thanks for the reply sorry my question wasn't clear...is there any reason to change the stock set ups for an after market breather or case saver?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-10-2013, 03:42 AM   #5895
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 32,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc11 View Post
Thanks for the reply sorry my question wasn't clear...is there any reason to change the stock set ups for an after market breather or case saver?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
if they are no longer "functional", beat up or plugged up, then yes, replace them..I have replaced my case saver twice as it got beat up pretty good..worth every penny in my book...I have never replace the breather..it seems to work all the time...so if you have the funds and just want to change out the stock set up, then by all means, go for it..no reason not to I reckon.
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote