Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2013, 08:04 AM   #5896
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,947
I think he's asking if he should install a crankcase breather filter.

I always do, I don't like leaving the ends open on the stock set up. I ride through water alot and get into very dusty situations, so the filter helps with peace of mind. I've installed it on all of my XRs and recently put one on my WRF. Sure, it may not be a necessity but I have heard stories of people sucking in sand, and water in some situations.
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:12 AM   #5897
marc11
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olas View Post

I always do, I don't like leaving the ends open on the stock set up. I ride through water alot and get into very dusty situations, so the filter helps with peace of mind. I've installed it on all of my XRs and recently put one on my WRF. Sure, it may not be a necessity but I have heard stories of people sucking in sand, and water in some situations.

Right that is what I was asking thanks for your insight. I think I'll throw one on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-10-2013, 05:58 PM   #5898
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc11 View Post
Right that is what I was asking thanks for your insight. I think I'll throw one on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
Instead of a filter I'd use a check valve on the breather system, much more effective since the filters will get oil soaked frequently when the bike falls over. A PCV valve sized to fit the breather hoses works pretty well. It will let pressure bleed out when needed and close when the bike shuts off. If it get's contiminated with oil it won't affect it's function like with a filter and it keeps the system vented to the stock airbox loc.

Excessive crankcase pressure robs hp.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:53 AM   #5899
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 32,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olas View Post

YES, I get it now..okay...some kind of filter would be okay..but as RF stated, a filter will get wet with oil so periodic service will be a must..I too like using the PCV valve, not near as much maintenance as a filter, but after abt a yr or so, you should check to make sure it's still working properly
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:35 AM   #5900
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
Instead of a filter I'd use a check valve on the breather system, much more effective since the filters will get oil soaked frequently when the bike falls over. A PCV valve sized to fit the breather hoses works pretty well. It will let pressure bleed out when needed and close when the bike shuts off. If it get's contiminated with oil it won't affect it's function like with a filter and it keeps the system vented to the stock airbox loc.

Excessive crankcase pressure robs hp.
This is probably a better solution, the filters are usually bulky and difficult to stash away and they do get soaked with oil after a while, and your bike stinks too .. I'm going to go get a PCV valve today, thanks!
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:24 AM   #5901
FSRIDER
This guy rides a lot

Oddometer: 66
Case saver

I had to take my case saver off. I run a 16T countershaft sprocket for freeway riding and would have had to grind it way down to keep it. Its probably a good idea to keep it if you can but its my understanding that if you maintain your chain and keep it adjusted properly you wont need the case saver.

Link to my 2010 OBCDR RR http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596782
FSRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:12 AM   #5902
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,720
So is it true to say that the highest CS sprocket you can run when using with a factory case saver is a 15toother
Old 05-12-2013, 02:51 PM   #5903
DREAMADVENTURER
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Well today was a relatively good day
I managed to strip the bike down and finally remove the engine/swingarm assembly off the frame

it was a 5 minute job to get the engine and swinarm out
no struggling nothing

DREAMADVENTURER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:58 PM   #5904
DREAMADVENTURER
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Now i ll have to try and get the bolt out without damaging the rest of the swingarm because while trying to cut the endcups i did this

DREAMADVENTURER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:05 PM   #5905
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post
So is it true to say that the highest CS sprocket you can run when using with a factory case saver is a 15toother
CORRECT! A 16 tooth is no problem if you leave the case saver out...Makes a nice road gear...use the same chain...no problems. I bought an aftermarket case saver....modified it to run the 16 tooth....but it was so flimsy, I didn't trust it....when I do run 16/45 gearing it's 80% on road anyway...and the only time I've ever had a chain problem was on this XR400 when it sucked a stick into it and broke the chain...requiring a long tow outa the woods....and nothing jammed around the c/s sprocket....maybe just lucky it was not a big mess....only chain problem on this bike since 1997
Ed@Ford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:15 PM   #5906
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DREAMADVENTURER View Post
Now i ll have to try and get the bolt out without damaging the rest of the swingarm because while trying to cut the endcups i did this

I cut up the swingarm so there was onlyaluminum parts on either side of the engine...I used a sawzall for that. Then used a die grinder with a big carbide disc to split those two aluminum bits on either side...this will leave the hardened bushing on either side that are over the remaining swing arm bolt....use the die grinder to split the hardened steel bushing....try to not cut into the bolt....then the bushings should split into 2 halves.....to get the remaining bolt out of the engine, heat is required to get it to free up....make sure one end of the bolt is not cut or bent or deformed...cause it has to be pounded THRU the back of the engine. I found it was possible to hold one end of the bolt with vice grips and when the rear of the engine and the bolt got hot, with twisting and pounding back and forth, it quickly let go and was free in the engine
Old 05-12-2013, 03:17 PM   #5907
FSRIDER
This guy rides a lot

Bluhduh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post

I would say so. I thought it was free and clear when I put it together but at some point while riding it rubs. I learned the hard way, had to replace my first chain after a few hundred mikes with the 16T and case guard.

Old 05-12-2013, 03:24 PM   #5908
FSRIDER
This guy rides a lot

Thumb Latest pictures of my bike, with Cyra hand guards and new stickers.

Old 05-12-2013, 03:25 PM   #5909
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSRIDER View Post
I would say so. I thought it was free and clear when I put it together but at some point while riding it rubs. I learned the hard way, had to replace my first chain after a few hundred mikes with the 16T and case guard.
Yes....I had to make special spacers to hold the countershaft sprocket cover in the proper location....the case protector acted as a spacer to hold the cover away from the chain.....I always use the cover to insure the wires coming out of the alternator are not snagged by any crap or sticks or anything are pulled up in there by the chain...break those wires....and you are DEAD!
Old 05-12-2013, 03:43 PM   #5910
FSRIDER
This guy rides a lot

I actually just cut the spacer peices off the original guard.