ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-27-2013, 12:19 PM   #5986
MartiniUp
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: TX
Oddometer: 1,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
I suspect that you might wanna replace that basket with an OEM one too..don't know why folks wanna replace what works fine with some tricked out aftermarket item...unless they are drag racing an XR400, and frankly I aint never heard of anyone professionally drag racing a XR

Seriously though, go back to OEM and you will be grinnin ear to ear at a stop light, and it will hook up just fine for any rabbit start you throw at it and your little ole bearing will last forever.
This +68!
MartiniUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:05 PM   #5987
coffman300
Adventurer
 
coffman300's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: stagecoach Nevada
Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch67 View Post
Incandescent bulbs aren't picky, but you'll have to wire the lighting circuit through a Rectifier in order to run LED's. Rectifier = converts AC to DC by running the current through a bank of diodes. Diodes function like one-way valves, allowing current to flow one way, but not the other.

http://www.procycle.us/dskits/dskit.htm#batteries
thank you for the info this helps.
coffman300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:29 PM   #5988
coffman300
Adventurer
 
coffman300's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: stagecoach Nevada
Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch67 View Post
thank you for the info i think this is what i was looking for .
coffman300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:28 PM   #5989
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken
 
Stretch67's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: My Mad Scientist Laboratory
Oddometer: 4,913
Nothing to say, I just wanted to post on Page 400.

G' night!
__________________
IBA # 33113
Alaska
Blue Ridge Parkway & Outer Banks
XR400 Index
Stretch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:40 PM   #5990
65SlashTwo
Da Pigu
 
65SlashTwo's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Tucson, AZ
Oddometer: 95
Woohoo! First big ride on the new-to-me XR400 and took it to Charleau Gap!
Awesome ride and I'm going to be sore for a couple of days. The 400 Rocked! Perfect bike for me and this ride.
Saw some other riders at the creek and asked if they were ADVers.
They wouldn't have had a clue what an 'inmate' was.
They asked if we were there for the internet 'meetup' (meatup?)
They can't be worth much if they're not inmates....
What the...?
Then....took my boys out and introduced them to their XR250s and got them started with the clutchy and the brakey. Gonna start gettin'
some good family rides in!
__________________
Slash, 09 R1200 GSA, 65 R60/2, 01 XR400, 00 XR250R, 01 XR250R
"No trilogy should have more than four volumes"- Arthur C. Clarke
"People in ecstasy look ridiculous"- David Byrne
65SlashTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:41 AM   #5991
DrLewall
The Human GPS
 
DrLewall's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Drakes Creek, AR
Oddometer: 30,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65SlashTwo View Post
Woohoo! First big ride on the new-to-me XR400 and took it to Charleau Gap!
Awesome ride and I'm going to be sore for a couple of days. The 400 Rocked! Perfect bike for me and this ride.
Saw some other riders at the creek and asked if they were ADVers.
They wouldn't have had a clue what an 'inmate' was.
They asked if we were there for the internet 'meetup' (meatup?)
They can't be worth much if they're not inmates....
What the...?
Then....took my boys out and introduced them to.....
(taken out of context)....
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:53 AM   #5992
marc11
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: New York
Oddometer: 137
Hey question about the valves...are they a bit noisy? Being new to me I'm not sure on this bike, but getting close to the engine I can here then clicking and clanking away. I can't hear them a bit away from the engine but am not sure what is normal. Seems they were checked by the PO not that long ago.


Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
__________________
2007 BMW R1200RT
2002 Honda XR400r
marc11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:54 AM   #5993
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater
 
RideFreak's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: County Lockup, NM
Oddometer: 5,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc11 View Post
Hey question about the valves...are they a bit noisy? Being new to me I'm not sure on this bike, but getting close to the engine I can here then clicking and clanking away. I can't hear them a bit away from the engine but am not sure what is normal. Seems they were checked by the PO not that long ago.


Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
Unless I know them personally I never trust what a PO tells me or his/her abilities when it comes to MC maint. You really shouldn't be hearing them clatter at all, a 400 top end is pretty quiet when it's adjusted correctly. Noisy usally equals loose which is much better than tight, doesn't guarantee that the PO doesn't have on or 2 of them too tight but if it starts ok cold you're probably allright.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:43 AM   #5994
marc11
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: New York
Oddometer: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
Unless I know them personally I never trust what a PO tells me or his/her abilities when it comes to MC maint. You really shouldn't be hearing them clatter at all, a 400 top end is pretty quiet when it's adjusted correctly. Noisy usally equals loose which is much better than tight, doesn't guarantee that the PO doesn't have on or 2 of them too tight but if it starts ok cold you're probably allright.
Thanks. I'll give them a check this weekend then just to be sure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
__________________
2007 BMW R1200RT
2002 Honda XR400r
marc11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:00 AM   #5995
DrLewall
The Human GPS
 
DrLewall's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Drakes Creek, AR
Oddometer: 30,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc11 View Post
Thanks. I'll give them a check this weekend then just to be sure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
and if after you do the adjustment and you still hear the clanking, good probability that your cam chain is stretched beyond limits
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:12 AM   #5996
marc11
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: New York
Oddometer: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
and if after you do the adjustment and you still hear the clanking, good probability that your cam chain is stretched beyond limits

Thanks. Let's hope not

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
__________________
2007 BMW R1200RT
2002 Honda XR400r
marc11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:57 AM   #5997
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots
 
Clem Kevin's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: San Clemente, CA
Oddometer: 854
Would a cam chain be noisier at warmup? I'm not sure if I have a knock or what, valves adjusted, at warmup. It usually goes away after 3-4 minutes of riding.
Clem Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:01 AM   #5998
DrLewall
The Human GPS
 
DrLewall's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Drakes Creek, AR
Oddometer: 30,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Kevin View Post
Would a cam chain be noisier at warmup? I'm not sure if I have a knock or what, valves adjusted, at warmup. It usually goes away after 3-4 minutes of riding.
I would be suspect of a worn out oil pump..

further inspection of said pump should be looked into
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:36 AM   #5999
XR4EVER
919 excuses to ride!
 
XR4EVER's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Post Falls, ID
Oddometer: 1,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch67 View Post
Nothing to say, I just wanted to post on Page 400.

G' night!
__________________
"It's strange to have a creation out there - a deeply mutated version of yourself, running loose and screwing everything up. I wonder if this is how parents feel." -Dexter
XR4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:30 AM   #6000
XR400R99
Adventurer
 
XR400R99's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2013
Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by STFU View Post
Just joined the XR4 family! I gave up on my 88 XR600 project and just bought a running, complete bike. Came with many upgrades and two sets of wheels (SM and Dirt) full dual sport electronics kit installed and ready to ride!
That's a nice lookin bike man. I want one of those stainless steel headers, maybe when all of the little problems are off my mind, like greasing my swing arm bolt. Enjoy!
XR400R99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014