Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2013, 10:33 AM   #6001
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 32,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch67 View Post
Nothing to say, I just wanted to post on Page 400.

G' night!
I'm halfway there..page 201 for me
DrLewall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:35 AM   #6002
XR4EVER
919 excuses to ride!

Oddometer: 1,083
It's page 400 of the xr400 thread. (page 401 now)
Old 05-29-2013, 05:59 PM   #6003
spawn_x
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn_x View Post
Its a 440, suspect that's why previous owner upgraded. Luckily ebay is full of parted out bikes, so parts are very affordable

ARGH

old 7/8 clutch pack = 34mm
OEM clutch pack = 29mm

won't go back together with the OEM plates, too loose. I did get replacement bearing in..

I'm emailing Hinson to find out exactly what the right way to run this is.

Week long FAIL. :(
Old 05-29-2013, 07:01 PM   #6004
hughrk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn_x View Post
ARGH

old 7/8 clutch pack = 34mm
OEM clutch pack = 29mm

won't go back together with the OEM plates, too loose. I did get replacement bearing in..

I'm emailing Hinson to find out exactly what the right way to run this is.

Week long FAIL. :(
Did you ignore my post about the clutch center being machined to allow the extra plates to be fitted????

Two independent mods I said, basket and extra plates Phone gt thunder not hinson if you must phone someone!

Hope you get a functional clutch but you might get more up to date info from the trx folks with your issue.

Cheers
hughrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:18 PM   #6005
spawn_x
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Must have missed your post, thanks! I'll shoot them an email. I sent Hinson one as well earlier

I did put the OEM clutch pack back in, plus one disc/plate from mine, to make up for the space, and put the bike back together.

From the 12 foot test ride though I didn't have luck finding neutral, so it must be the shift fork/drum/etc. stuff inside.

The OEM springs were also bit shorter than these, I may put them back and see if it feels any different. The current pressure plate bearing lasted a while, but I still was surprised to see it let go. I guess down the road I can just do a motor swap, when mine is old and tired, instead of splitting the case now.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:57 PM   #6006
RRP13
Kinda superbikey

Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRP13 View Post
I have only had my XR400 a short time and trying to get up to speed on the potential weak links. I picked up a spare subframe along with some other parts I wanted. I do not need the spare subframe, it is clean and unbent. I was going to sell it, but have considered keeping it if it my prove handy to have later.

Input greatly appreciated.
Upon further investigation, the spare subframe I have is an AC Racing aluminum racing model and it is for sale in the flea market.

SV650 (and then there was one.) - road racer
GSXR750 - oiler project
RRP13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:14 PM   #6007
STFU
Found

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR400R99 View Post
That's a nice lookin bike man. I want one of those stainless steel headers, maybe when all of the little problems are off my mind, like greasing my swing arm bolt. Enjoy!
Thanks, but I have to say Im not impressed with the FMF Powercore 4 muffler. Way too loud! Im going to try the quiet insert for it, but may end up ditching it for something else real quick.

Also considering selling the SM wheels, as I really wanted the bike for a dual sport and they were just a bonus with the buy. If there is any interest here shoot me a PM.
XR250R
TR200 FATCAT!
STFU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:08 PM   #6008
RRP13
Kinda superbikey

Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by STFU View Post
Thanks, but I have to say Im not impressed with the FMF Powercore 4 muffler. Way too loud! Im going to try the quiet insert for it, but may end up ditching it for something else real quick.

Also considering selling the SM wheels, as I really wanted the bike for a dual sport and they were just a bonus with the buy. If there is any interest here shoot me a PM.
PM'd
SV650 (and then there was one.) - road racer
GSXR750 - oiler project
RRP13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:56 AM   #6009
Wallrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by STFU View Post

I got that insert for the Powercore 4 on my KTM. It changes the pitch a bit - mine had a pretty annoying drone when cruising at 60mph that's gone now. I tested the dB with an iPhone app immediately before and after swapping it out and I lost 2dB at idle dropping me down to 94dB - the legal limit. So yeah it helps, but its still a pretty loud pipe. I did all the testing as per AMA guidelines in an open field with no obstructions nearby.

In regards to the SM wheels. Keep in mind that if you use the bike around town much you're DS tires are going to fade fast. Keeping those wheels might be a very sound investment. Before I switched to a trials tire, I was lucky if I got 800 miles on a rear.
12 Kuberg Start
13 Kuberg Cross
Wallrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:11 PM   #6010
Diravi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
You are right, using the FMF for any kind of street riding is a bad idea. With the quiet core it's a bit better, but for longer periods it's still too loud.

But for pure offroad, singletrack and climbs, WHOAA!
Diravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:50 PM   #6011
Wallrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diravi View Post
You are right, using the FMF for any kind of street riding is a bad idea. With the quiet core it's a bit better, but for longer periods it's still too loud.

But for pure offroad, singletrack and climbs, WHOAA!

I had a Q4 on my XR400. Came in at 92dB which wasn't too terrible.
12 Kuberg Start
13 Kuberg Cross
Wallrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:23 PM   #6012
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 886
If you have a kart track anywhere near you, I would suggest keeping those SM wheels for more fun than you could imagine.
Clem Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:53 PM   #6013
STFU
Found

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallrat View Post
I got that insert for the Powercore 4 on my KTM. It changes the pitch a bit - mine had a pretty annoying drone when cruising at 60mph that's gone now. I tested the dB with an iPhone app immediately before and after swapping it out and I lost 2dB at idle dropping me down to 94dB - the legal limit. So yeah it helps, but its still a pretty loud pipe. I did all the testing as per AMA guidelines in an open field with no obstructions nearby.

In regards to the SM wheels. Keep in mind that if you use the bike around town much you're DS tires are going to fade fast. Keeping those wheels might be a very sound investment. Before I switched to a trials tire, I was lucky if I got 800 miles on a rear.

Thanks for the exhaust advice, will try the insert before ditching the pipe all together.

As for the SM stuff, this isnt my only bike and will be mostly for off road and light dualsporting. Ive owned several SMs in the past and while they are fun, this one doesnt really do it for me on the road (last was an Aprilia SXV550...)

Ill save the commuting for my ZRX
XR250R
TR200 FATCAT!
STFU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:55 PM   #6014
mark1150
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
The XR oil on the dipstick again?

Re my post 5959:-
I've cut and pasted the following from the original post.
Please help as this problem is driving me insane!
Hi Guy's,
My XR400 seems to be smoking a fair bit from the exhaust.
Now here's the story I was riding out with my son last weekend, and she started up OK hot or cold with no issues.
After about 35 miles I stopped for a cigarette break and decided to quickly check the oil level, and found none on the dip stick, so I stuck in a litre of oil, but still not regestering.
25 miles later still no smoke, but still no oil regestering on the dip stick, so another litre and still no oil regestering but them she starts smoking like a train on the over run, it's only supposed to have 1.7 litres right? and there must have been oil in there from the get go or it would have seized or rumbled etc.
Now I am as sure as anyone can be that there was oil in it to start with, and no oil leaks, so could it be that the oil is so clean that we cant see it and have over filled it?
Also the choke started to play up on the trails, i.e. switching it's self on while riding, which in it's self is sort of counter intuative because in effect it's working it's way upwards, so I zip tyed it in the off position.
Could it have overfueled?

The bike has about 8000 Km's = 6000 or so, I had it in a garage and compression is spot on , and she is down about 2 bhp (with enduro tyres) from the standard output on the dyno.

Air filter clean and oiled, I even concidered running without it but didn't want to suck in trail dirt.

Can I dye the oil to be sure of oil levels, I was thinking food dye? or just measure 1.7 litres and refill her from empty and see what happens?

I can't afford to blow her up, and the problem is getting to be the equivalent of a tooth ache, allways there and allways nagging.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Well guys I drained the oil out of the bike and refilled it with 1.7 litres of new oil, ran the bike up to temperature stopped and checked the oil level immediatley to find nothing what so ever regestered on the dipstick.
I even tried dipping it at 1 min increments incase it was too hot to no avail.
I wonder if I have the correct dipstick for the bike? (which I bought second hand as is)
Here are a couple of pictures of it.

Can someone confirm the type by the lettering and overall length please?

Also there is no smoke on start up or idle, just when it gets hot and then mostly on the over run, any ideas are greatly appreciated.

mark1150 screwed with this post 05-31-2013 at 06:09 PM
mark1150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:19 PM   #6015
aaron2a
supermoto hooligan

Oddometer: 674
No clue what the problem is but the dipstick is exactly like my 97... Even the letters on top
aaron2a is offline   Reply With Quote