Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2013, 12:48 PM   #6166
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,290
Some great XR400R information here for anyone up-grading their electrical, or just wanting to DS an XR400R.

There are numerous aftermarket high output stators available for the Honda XR400R. I opted for a brand new 200w unit. The stock stator is capable of putting out 80-100w from the lighting coils. I wanted more because I was installing dual headlights, and possibly other electrical accessories in the future, like maybe a 12" subwoofer and amplifier!

Stator connectors on wiring harness

Stock stator harness connectors

Crankcase cover and stator removed

Stock stator with unwound poles

New stator with all poles wound

New stator installed in crankcase cover

Crankcase cover and wire harness installed

Close-up of installed wire harness

My installation went as follows:
  1. Drain the oil out of the engine or find a way to support the bike while it lays on its side, to avoid oil draining into the stator/flywheel area.
  2. Disconnect the electrical wires coming from the stator to the wiring harness, which is a plug (green and yellow/blue) and four single wires (brown, pink/black, pink and yellow. Remove the wire harness from the two clamps holding it onto the frame and above the sprocket cover.
  3. Removing the gear shifter. Then loosen and remove the nine bolts and one nut holding the left crankcase cover. If it is stuck after the hardware is removed, use a rubber mallet and gently tap around the outside to loosen. Do not pry the cover off, as this will damage the mating surfaces.
  4. Remove bolts holding the wiring harness clamps. There are three bolts total; one holding the grommet clamp and two holding the ignition pulse generator. Next loosen and remove the three stator bolts.
  5. Before installing the new stator, completely clean the mating surfaces of the engine and cover. I like to use gasket cleaner or carb cleaner and a good scraper, found at any local hardware or auto parts store. Note: removing the dowel pins will help when scraping the mating surfaces.
  6. Put thread-lock on the three stator bolts and install the stator into the cover. Install and tighten the remaining three bolts with their respective covers, again with thread-lock. Make sure when routing the wire harness to keep in under the stator so the flywheel doesn't rub against it.
  7. Next clean the mating surfaces of the engine case and cover. With a new gasket (Honda P/N: 11395-KCY-671) and thread-lock, install the cover on the engine and torque all nine bolts and the one nut to 7ft-lbs.
  8. Route the stator wire harness the same way as the stock one, along through the sprocket cover clamp and the side frame clamp. Don't forget to put thread-lock on the nuts and bolts.
  9. Here is the most confusing part, connecting the old to the new. I have devised a chart with a dual sport kit that should help:
    Stator Wire Harness
    Green & Yellow/Blue
    Brown
    Red/Black
    Green
    White

Stock Wire Harness
    Green & Yellow/Blue
    Brown
    Pink/Black
    (a) Pink
    (a) Yellow

DS Wire Harness

(b) Yellow
    (b) Yellow

10. If you followed the dual sport kit wiring, you will have two open wires (a). I suggest taping them up because the new rectifier is part of the dual sport kit, which the two yellow wires (b) connect to.
  11. Recheck that everything is in its proper place, and all fasteners are tight. Put oil back into the engine, if drained. Now the fun part, fire it up and see the difference in light output. I put in new bulbs, and wow! You now have 200-watts of power to play with! Bring on the sound system!
Old 06-26-2013, 02:45 PM   #6167
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,186
Looking for a little feedback here.
I have the CDI from a XR400R or a XR650R on on my XR400R but this will not allow the electric start to work due to a feature in these CDIs(starter does not turn over the motor fast enough for the CDI). I need a CDI from the EX400 quad or a XL650 bike and it has a different plug setup. What I can gather is that the stator for the CDI that I need has a internal grounded coil at least for the black/red wire(hot for the coil). The XR400 has two wires coming out the EX400 has only one wire for the coil/spark circuit. I have both stators. I have a CDI with wiring harness sitting at the border to pick up from a EX400 quad. I'm thinking I should change back to the EX400 stator and wire in the new wiring harness I have bought into the XR400. This should allow the electric start to work. This has been a long process.

The bike works so well now with the high watt XR400 stator/battery I'm tempted to leave it kick start and remove all the EX400 stuff/electric start stuff. I have read that the crank extension piece isn't reliable long term.

Looking for input from people who have done this please.
2004 Honda XR400R
JimmieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:18 PM   #6168
XR400R99
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Hey Now,
I've been lurking behind the scenes for a few weeks absorbing the usual XR400 upgrades and maintenance procedures. Thanks to all who post their experiences, it really comes in handy to a relative XR4 newbie. See ya on the roads and trails!
XR400R99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:51 AM   #6169
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 30,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR400R99 View Post
Hey Now,
I've been lurking behind the scenes for a few weeks absorbing the usual XR400 upgrades and maintenance procedures. Thanks to all who post their experiences, it really comes in handy to a relative XR4 newbie. See ya on the roads and trails!
or on the shop floor!

DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:55 AM   #6170
cirell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmieA View Post
I have the CDI from a XR400R or a XR650R on on my XR400R but this will not allow the electric start to work due to a feature in these CDIs(starter does not turn over the motor fast enough for the CDI). I need a CDI from the EX400 quad or a XL650 bike and it has a different plug setup. What I can gather is that the stator for the CDI that I need has a internal grounded coil at least for the black/red wire(hot for the coil). The XR400 has two wires coming out the EX400 has only one wire for the coil/spark circuit. I have both stators. I have a CDI with wiring harness sitting at the border to pick up from a EX400 quad. I'm thinking I should change back to the EX400 stator and wire in the new wiring harness I have bought into the XR400. This should allow the electric start to work. This has been a long process.

The bike works so well now with the high watt XR400 stator/battery I'm tempted to leave it kick start and remove all the EX400 stuff/electric start stuff. I have read that the crank extension piece isn't reliable long term.

I have heard something also about the crank extension for elec start.............what have you heard, is there any maintenance that may avoid problems
cirell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:17 AM   #6171
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmieA View Post

The solution is install the EX stuff and sell me the high output XR400R stator for a really really good deal.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:23 AM   #6172
jungleplant
Motorcyle Stuff

Oddometer: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
The solution is install the EX stuff and sell me the high output XR400R stator for a really really good deal.
run the starter on a different circuit
Old 06-28-2013, 09:28 AM   #6173
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleplant View Post
run the starter on a different circuit
He says it wont start with the e start since it has the wrong CDI and stator in it....
Old 06-28-2013, 09:41 AM   #6174
kito
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
hi I have lost the nut of the swing arm bolt ... does anyone know the thread size so I can go the hardware store and buy a new nut ?
thanks
kito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:31 AM   #6175
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by kito View Post
hi I have lost the nut of the swing arm bolt ... does anyone know the thread size so I can go the hardware store and buy a new nut ?
thanks
I really miss the days when I could look that up on the parts fische. You use to see a dia, length and pitch on every single fastener on a parts fische on motorcycles.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:55 AM   #6176
KilLeR Kawasaki
Marky A

Oddometer: 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by kito View Post
thanks
Bring the fastener to an Ace hardware near you. That will guarantee the fit.
http://motodelmundo.blogspot.com/
KilLeR Kawasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:32 AM   #6177
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 30,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by KilLeR Kawasaki View Post
only if he can get the bolt out without cutting the swing arm off
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:36 PM   #6178
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilLeR Kawasaki View Post
Or a Lowes they also have a good assortment of metric fasteners.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:25 PM   #6179
GoUglyEarly
Boots Still Clean

Oddometer: 73
Hello to my XR400 compatriots.

I bought a plated 97 with a Baja designs kit last spring. I got it for a song so I took it for granted until now and I am going to reassess our relationship.

The bike has primarily been used to make the 1.5 hr trip down to Wharton State Forest in NJ, flail in the sand like an incompetent for a few hours, and then hump back to civilization. Oil changes are done about every 12-16 hrs of riding but otherwise I let the bike fall into relative disarray. Despite riding sand all the time, I only cleaned and oiled the filter once after developing consistent deceleration backfire. The chain was never even cleaned once until the last time I rode it.

Despite my best efforts to show Darwin who is boss, the XR sucked up all this abuse and never let me down. My last ride was cut short due to horrendous chain slap and a lack of road tools.

I recently had a hitch installed on my car and plan on giving the XR some TLC as my trips to the park will increase now that I can trailer the bike down. That maintenance plan may seem backwards to you, but I assure you this only seems to be the case because it IS backwards.

On the docket we have:

-weld a new kickstand on (old one rotted off leaving a hole in the frame)
-install flush mount rear blinkers (managed to knock those off too)
-replace chain and sprockets
-replace chain slider and chain roller
-adjust valves
-replace rear tire
-launch assault on tiny electrical gremlins in lighting system

-resume stupidity

I found a creative TiG welder for the kickstand, will go with the same Pirelli rear I was running before, and can do the blinkers w/o drama.

My questions to the group are as follows:

-swingarm bolt is seized like the fist of a Black Panther....can I remove and install a new chain slider without removing the bolt?
-I never counted teeth but the bike was screaming at 60 mph highway before. I am assuming it has non-standard sprocket sizes. Any input on your highway cruising speed vs your absolute bottom end performance in relation to stock or alternate sprocket sizing is appreciated. On the one hand I may simply replace with the same sizes already on the bike, since I was happy with it's ability to tractor in sand from a dead stop, but on the other hand taking some strain off the bike at speed will assuage my anxiety about using the bike to explore locally.
-new chain suggestions/maintenance: dirt is new to me.
-are tubes of unknown vintage/construction due for swapping?
-brake light: i had to fidget with dielectric grease and bend tabs in order to make the tail light more reliable but sometimes it still needs a tap at startup. is there a more permanent, reliable solution?
-headlight: running light and high beams are fine....no low beam....bulb was replaced and no joy....any idea where those damn gremlins like to congregate?

If that was TLDR or you are just waiting for me to shut up so you can flame me, please commence with the razzing as I totally deserve it. I would only like to add that I wanted the XR400 since I was a teen and despite buying it as a 'disposable', I can't let it go now because I learned to love it. I am excited about getting myself and the bike on the right path and have a new respect for shaggy old dogs and shaggy old bikes. Thanks for keeping these things alive for a new generation of owners.
GoUglyEarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:07 PM   #6180
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

I'll start, First I would say to go to a 16t counter. This usually allows 60~65 pretty easily with the stock rear sprocket, and makes it easy to go back to the stock 15t counter. IF you want more speed with lower RPM drop a few teeth off the back sprocket as well.

Electrical things can be annoying because even if it IS a socket connection problem, nothing you do is permanent. You really should replace all the sockets on the headlight and tail light to be sure they are in good nick. Or replace the tail light with an LEED tail from Baja or Acerbis. BTW the stock tail on the XR4 is a good one and if you add a wire to the other hole in the socket, it becomes a brake light too.