Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2013, 08:54 AM   #6196
STFU
Found

Oddometer: 390
just thought I would pimp my parts in this thread in case you guys dont wander down to the fleamarket section often... I listed a set of XR4 wheels with tires and front and rear fenders today.
XR250R
TR200 FATCAT!
STFU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:58 PM   #6197
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,290
45 minutes to do the top clamp and bars...

Old 07-02-2013, 04:49 AM   #6198
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 30,277
Gawd that top clamp is sure clean!
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:51 AM   #6199
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
Gawd that top clamp is sure clean!
It is a little beat up but nothing major. I got it used. Plus I got brand new ProTaper mounts for the top clamp which will drastically clean it up.

Sniper X screwed with this post 07-02-2013 at 10:38 AM
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:09 PM   #6200
AndyCap
Mineral Oil Anyone?

Oddometer: 1,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCap View Post
I'll let you know what I think once I get it installed. I know that my carb is probably ok, and just needs the pilot jet cleaned, but the starting bit is a huge pain, and needs to be resolved. I have an XR250R that I loved as a kid, except it could get very temperamental about starting. I am still scarred from that. Let's hope the new carb resolves the issue.

Quite some time later, but I have since installed the new pumper carb I bought, and finally had a chance to try it out.

I put the carb in, and didn't adjust anything. I figured the bike wouldn't start, and prepared my wife for the inevitable swearing. However, I gave the bike one priming kick, and then kicked it. It started right up!! It idles as it should, and runs great. I took the stock carb apart and found that it is gummed with many years of shellac and poor storage. (Previous Owner)

So, now I am a very happy XR400 owner. My one and only gripe with XR's has been hard starting. If this beast starts with one or two kicks moving forward, I can only say great things about it.
AndyCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:45 PM   #6201
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCap View Post
Quite some time later, but I have since installed the new pumper carb I bought, and finally had a chance to try it out.

I put the carb in, and didn't adjust anything. I figured the bike wouldn't start, and prepared my wife for the inevitable swearing. However, I gave the bike one priming kick, and then kicked it. It started right up!! It idles as it should, and runs great. I took the stock carb apart and found that it is gummed with many years of shellac and poor storage. (Previous Owner)

So, now I am a very happy XR400 owner. My one and only gripe with XR's has been hard starting. If this beast starts with one or two kicks moving forward, I can only say great things about it.
Supposedly after an FCR carby swap, they do start in one kick. And the other benifit from an FCR pumper is they are far less prone to jetting changes with altitude changes as well.

I may do one especially if I ever find one for sale used when someone parts an Xr400R! I am trying (and so far succeeding) to NOT recreate my WAY too expensive DR350 project.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:57 PM   #6202
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

Oddometer: 4,660
Regardless of what is posted around the interwebz, XR4's are not inherently hard to start, presuming the ignition is working, and there are no vacuum leaks.

Keep the valves adjusted, use only fresh fuel, jet the carb properly and keep it clean*, and use the 'XR4 Starting Procedure', and they'll fire right up...

1) Gas 'On'. Let it sit for a minute.
2) Full choke.
3) Turn Idle Adjustment up (clockwise) a half-turn or so.
4) Pull the de-comp lever and work the engine over for ten easy kicks to get everything primed. Don't touch the throttle.
5) Release the de-comp lever and work the engine over to the next Compression stroke.
6) Pull the de-comp again, and press the kick-starter down about two inches to get the engine just past the Compression stroke. Don't touch the throttle.
7) Release the de-comp lever, let the Kick-Starter back up, and then kick it like you mean it. Don't touch the throttle.

Repeat 5, 6 & 7 as necessary.

I can start my Gordon's Modded '98, stone cold, standing beside the bike on the right side, first kick, wearing flip-flops. I'm not bullshitting. I've done it, just to see.

Whenever an XR gets hard to start, the very first thing you ought to do is adjust the valves. You could have a perfectly tuned carburetor, but if the valves are too tight, the bike...
Will.
Not.
Start.

Once the valves are perfect, then start fiddling elsewhere.

AndyCap, congrats on making her happy.

*Before I put the bike away after a ride, I turn the gas 'Off' with the engine running and let the carb run dry. (Once the engine's dead, this is the perfect opportunity to check the oil). Run a quality in-line filter between the tank and the carb... http://www.jetsrus.com/parts/fuel_filters.html
XR400 Index

Stretch67 screwed with this post 07-02-2013 at 10:33 PM
Stretch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:46 PM   #6203
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Worlds better,

Old 07-03-2013, 03:52 AM   #6204
Michaeb
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch67 View Post
Regardless of what is posted around the interwebz, XR4's are not inherently hard to start, presuming the ignition is working, and there are no vacuum leaks.

Keep the valves adjusted, use only fresh fuel, jet the carb properly and keep it clean*, and use the 'XR4 Starting Procedure', and they'll fire right up...

2) Full choke.
4) Pull the de-comp lever and work the engine over for ten easy kicks to get everything primed. Don't touch the throttle.
5) Release the de-comp lever and work the engine over to the next Compression stroke.
6) Pull the de-comp again, and press the kick-starter down about two inches to get the engine just past the Compression stroke. Don't touch the throttle.
7) Release the de-comp lever, let the Kick-Starter back up, and then kick it like you mean it. Don't touch the throttle.

I can start my Gordon's Modded '98, stone cold, standing beside the bike on the right side, first kick, wearing flip-flops. I'm not bullshitting. I've done it, just to see.

Whenever an XR gets hard to start, the very first thing you ought to do is adjust the valves. You could have a perfectly tuned carburetor, but if the valves are too tight, the bike...
Will.
Not.
Start.

*Before I put the bike away after a ride, I turn the gas 'Off' with the engine running and let the carb run dry. (Once the engine's dead, this is the perfect opportunity to check the oil). Run a quality in-line filter between the tank and the carb... http://www.jetsrus.com/parts/fuel_filters.html
Thanks for the link - which of these filters are you using?
Michaeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:53 AM   #6205
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,186
Just an update of info here. I changed my drive sprocket from stock 15T to 16T to get better highway performance. My chain is stock and like new. What ended up happening is the adjustment gear, with the chain correct slack is like 4/40 slots. This means the rear wheel is so far ahead that at highway speeds and loaded the new tire is rubbing on the swing arm. It actually started to wear on the swing arm. I changed the drive chain from 108 links to 110 links and now the adjuster is at 27/40 slots. If I go back to 15T I may have to change back to the original chain. Also with the 16T sprocket you cannot install the case saver part under the guard.

The tire I have on the bike is a Metlzer Karoo and it is actually smaller around than a stock tire. This tire expands enough at highway speeds to rub on the swing arm. The tire ended up wearing about 1/3 wear in about 250 miles. I had about 25# air in the tire. As far as I'm concerned this is my last Karoo, side wall is too soft allowing expansion at 60 MPH of about 1/2 inch.
2004 Honda XR400R
JimmieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:36 AM   #6206
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

[QUOTE=JimmieA;21780626]Just an update of info here. I changed my drive sprocket from stock 15T to 16T to get better highway performance. My chain is stock and like new. What ended up happening is the adjustment gear, with the chain correct slack is like 4/40 slots. This means the rear wheel is so far ahead that at highway speeds and loaded the new tire is rubbing on the swing arm. It actually started to wear on the swing arm. I changed the drive chain from 108 links to 110 links and now the adjuster is at 27/40 slots. If I go back to 15T I may have to change back to the original chain. Also with the 16T sprocket you cannot install the case saver part under the guard.

You can reuse the case saver, some elongate the holes so it moves forward enough to fit, some do other things. It is best to have a case saver. I have even heard that if you slip the case saver, chanin and sprocket on at the same time it will fit.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:33 AM   #6207
KilLeR Kawasaki
Marky A

Oddometer: 921
I have read on this forum that if you install the sprocket, chain, and case saver at the same time- in the same move, it will work.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
http://motodelmundo.blogspot.com/
KilLeR Kawasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:51 AM   #6208
thosforce
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
Supposedly after an FCR carby swap, they do start in one kick. And the other benifit from an FCR pumper is they are far less prone to jetting changes with altitude changes as well.

I may do one especially if I ever find one for sale used when someone parts an Xr400R! I am trying (and so far succeeding) to NOT recreate my WAY too expensive DR350 project.

there is an FCR listed on ebay
says it came off an XR4
1998 XR400 XR 400 FCR Performance Carburetor Carb Engine Motor | eBay
I do not know enough about these carbs to be able to say whether or not there is an accelerator pump on it
thosforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:13 AM   #6209
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by thosforce View Post
there is an FCR listed on ebay
says it came off an XR4
1998 XR400 XR 400 FCR Performance Carburetor Carb Engine Motor | eBay
I do not know enough about these carbs to be able to say whether or not there is an accelerator pump on it
Not only does he want too much for it, he doesn't even KNOW what it is. Plus from the pics I can't tell if it is one with the pump or not. he wants more than 2/3rds what they sell for new, but without the appropriate adapters, cables, and extra jets. But thanks for the heads up!
Old 07-03-2013, 11:46 AM   #6210
AndyCap
Mineral Oil Anyone?

Oddometer: 1,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch67 View Post

2) Full choke.

Will.
Not.
Start.

Not inherently hard to start? Based on the amount of foreplay you just described, I would have to guess your woman is very lucky.

I just want to turn on my fuel, and kick start my bike. I am not big on going through some OCD like routine everytime I want to have fun.
AndyCap is offline   Reply With Quote