Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2013, 12:09 PM   #6211
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 835
I NEVER need to use the decomp lever or idle adjustment to start my XR. Gordon's Mod's with 155/58 jetting.
Clem Kevin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:12 PM   #6212
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,290
I get on mine, turn on the gas, bring it to tdc and slightly past, then kick hard and is usually fires up first kick. If it doesn't then full choke and it fires right up.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:52 PM   #6213
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
I get on mine, turn on the gas, bring it to tdc and slightly past, then kick hard and is usually fires up first kick. If it doesn't then full choke and it fires right up.
Exactly.
Clem Kevin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:55 PM   #6214
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Motor mods on mine, snorkel removed, 96 open end cap, and a step leaner from stock on the pilot and main. I live at 7600ft.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:00 PM   #6215
RRP13
Kinda superbikey

Oddometer: 117
3 kicks with decomp lever in, then full choke, no throttle.

Starts on 2-3 kicks, every time.
SV650 (and then there was one.) -road racer
RRP13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:51 PM   #6216
tuscan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Hard Starting XR400

Hi

I must have read a hundred posts about hard starting XR's - here's my 2c....

I have two XR 400's and one starts first kick every time and the other didn't. After much messing around with no success, a mechanic friend suggested I look at the clearance between the flywheel and the timing sender inside the LH engine case. His theory was that the gap has to be correct in order for a pulse to be generated correctly.

To cut a long story short, I adjusted the gap by lightly bending the mount for the sender so that it was closer to the flywheel and hey presto it now starts as well as my other XR 400.

He did advise what the gap measurement should be...but I've forgotten.......! If anyone is interested I can find out.

Measuring the gap involved putting some BluTak on the flywheel, reinstalling the LH engine case, rotating the crank a little so that the BluTak was "skimmed" through the gap, removing the cover again and measuring the residual thickness of BluTak left on the flywheel - fiddly to say the least....

I've not seen this cure mentioned anywhere before, but an earlier post had a guy who replaced his stator and suddenly the bike started easily ..... maybe this can be attributed to him accidentally improving the gap between the flywheel and sender....

For anyone who is at their wits end (as i was) with a hard starting XR - I would recommend checking this.

Now I have 2 dream machines.- oh yeah

My 2c worth...

Cheers

If you aren't riding what ARE you doing?
tuscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:11 PM   #6217
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscan View Post
Hi

I must have read a hundred posts about hard starting XR's - here's my 2c....

I have two XR 400's and one starts first kick every time and the other didn't. After much messing around with no success, a mechanic friend suggested I look at the clearance between the flywheel and the timing sender inside the LH engine case. His theory was that the gap has to be correct in order for a pulse to be generated correctly.

To cut a long story short, I adjusted the gap by lightly bending the mount for the sender so that it was closer to the flywheel and hey presto it now starts as well as my other XR 400.

He did advise what the gap measurement should be...but I've forgotten.......! If anyone is interested I can find out.

Measuring the gap involved putting some BluTak on the flywheel, reinstalling the LH engine case, rotating the crank a little so that the BluTak was "skimmed" through the gap, removing the cover again and measuring the residual thickness of BluTak left on the flywheel - fiddly to say the least....

I've not seen this cure mentioned anywhere before, but an earlier post had a guy who replaced his stator and suddenly the bike started easily ..... maybe this can be attributed to him accidentally improving the gap between the flywheel and sender....

For anyone who is at their wits end (as i was) with a hard starting XR - I would recommend checking this.

Now I have 2 dream machines.- oh yeah

My 2c worth...

Cheers
Can anyone confirm this? I own a poor starter that has had "all the tricks" and still starts poorly
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:16 PM   #6218
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
Can anyone confirm this? I own a poor starter that has had "all the tricks" and still starts poorly
All I can do is add that many who have a porr starting XXXR4 and install a new stator from RS that comes with a new pulser they magically have an easy starting XR4. I think it might be the stock pulsers are a tad hit and miss and a new one always makes them start easier.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:25 PM   #6219
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
All I can do is add that many who have a porr starting XXXR4 and install a new stator from RS that comes with a new pulser they magically have an easy starting XR4. I think it might be the stock pulsers are a tad hit and miss and a new one always makes them start easier.
RS = Ricky Stator?
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:42 PM   #6220
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

Oddometer: 4,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCap View Post
Not inherently hard to start? Based on the amount of foreplay you just described, I would have to guess your woman is very lucky.

I just want to turn on my fuel, and kick start my bike. I am not big on going through some OCD like routine everytime I want to have fun.
I wrote the analytical version of it for the benefit of those here who may be going about it incorrectly. I know my bike, and can go through the cold-start routine without even thinking about it.
XR400 Index
Stretch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:51 PM   #6221
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

Oddometer: 4,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaeb View Post
Thanks for the link - which of these filters are you using?
This 'un heah, the 5/16 line size with the stainless screen filter.

http://www.jetsrus.com/individual_parts/009_212_su.html

I have it plumbed with their transparent fuel line so I can see fuel flowing (or not) into the empty carb.
XR400 Index
Stretch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:21 PM   #6222
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
RS = Ricky Stator?
yep, comes with a new pulser on it. it is a 200w stator, with the new pulser and $150.00
Old 07-04-2013, 03:18 AM   #6223
Michaeb
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch67 View Post
This 'un heah, the 5/16 line size with the stainless screen filter.

http://www.jetsrus.com/individual_parts/009_212_su.html

I have it plumbed with their transparent fuel line so I can see fuel flowing (or not) into the empty carb.
Cheers.
Michaeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:18 AM   #6224
MartiniUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by KilLeR Kawasaki View Post
I have read on this forum that if you install the sprocket, chain, and case saver at the same time- in the same move, it will work.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
This. No alterations needed. I am on my fourth XR4 and I use a 16 for 93.764% of my D/S rides. Stock chain and no problems ever. Stock carbs on all also, never a problem with correct jetting. I remove the decomp lever at purchase to free up the bars, never needed.
MartiniUp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:48 AM   #6225
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,186
Quote:
I want to commend the origional poster of the pulse generator being weak and a new stator solving the issue. This is exactly my story. Now my XR400 starts great and I just installed a new 200 watt stator.
2004 Honda XR400R
JimmieA is offline   Reply With Quote