Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2013, 12:07 PM   #6226
XR4EVER
919 excuses to ride!

Oddometer: 1,057
When cold, I just lay mine over to the left till gas pours out, choke it, and it starts first kick every time! Try it!
Old 07-04-2013, 12:08 PM   #6227
XR4EVER
919 excuses to ride!

Happy XR4th of July, everybody!!!!!!

XR4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:22 PM   #6228
XR400R99
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR4EVER View Post

Thanks 4EVER, you too!
I'm goin ridin, see ya on the road.
XR400R99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:53 PM   #6229
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
When cold, I just lay mine over to the left till gas pours out, choke it, and it starts first kick every time! Try it!
It's gotten so bad this doesn't always work!
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:54 PM   #6230
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmieA View Post
I want to commend the origional poster of the pulse generator being weak and a new stator solving the issue. This is exactly my story. Now my XR400 starts great and I just installed a new 200 watt stator.
Ricky Stator...take my $$ please!! Thanks all!
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:36 PM   #6231
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,570
Quote:

Had me a damn fine ride early this morning on the ol' xr perfect weather for a perfect ride
Old 07-04-2013, 02:37 PM   #6232
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 30,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post
Had me a damn fine ride early this morning on the ol' xr perfect weather for a perfect ride
Wudda been a whole lot better if you had come over here and got me to go with ya!
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:24 PM   #6233
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
Wudda been a whole lot better if you had come over here and got me to go with ya!
You know me better, I'm a loner
Old 07-04-2013, 07:07 PM   #6234
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

Oddometer: 4,813
A few months ago I was getting a ton of valve train noise. The cam chain adjuster was at its last click, and the cam chain was still too loose. While I had the thing apart to replace the cam chain, I also removed the auto-decomp accouterment from the cam since it seemed to be rattling quite a bit as well. I then welded up the oil holes in the cam where the auto-decomp used to be, in order to retain proper oil flow and pressure within the camshaft itself (so as to send the proper oil flow and pressure to the cam lobes and rockers without prematurely dumping it through the auto-decomp oil holes).

It purrs along smoothly now, but my machine is manual de-compression only. I don't mind, since my engine is now quieter and more reliable without the auto-decomp rattling around in there, but I therefore must use the Starting Procedure (as originally posted by Eurobiker on Page 2) without skipping some of the steps that others can get away with.
XR400 Index

Stretch67 screwed with this post 07-04-2013 at 07:29 PM
Stretch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:58 AM   #6235
mvg2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
WTB front wheel

Any one have a straight and true front wheel for sale? The jackhammer effect on the road is too much anymore and half the nipples are seized so adjustment is limited...

Also may be interested in a stock exhaust as well. I have a fmf power max and would be willing to do some type of trade if there's interest.

Happy XR'ing!

mvg2 screwed with this post 07-07-2013 at 04:06 PM
mvg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:20 PM   #6236
AndyCap
Mineral Oil Anyone?

Oddometer: 1,425
Well, I may have solved my starting issues with the Pumper carb, but now I have an idling issue. With the choke on, the bike idles at high RPM as one would expect. It pops and sputters if i twist the throttle, again as expected. Once it is warm, I shut the idle off, and the bike will idle without issue if it is over Approx 1500 RPM, however, if I let it lower, it will start sputtering, and eventually stall.

This sounded like a vacuum issue to me, so when I had it idled low, I sprayed a bit of carb cleaner right where the front boot connects the carb to the cylinder. The idle went up, confirming that there is a leak there. I took the rubber boot off the cylinder head and gave it a close inspection, no holes or issues. I re-clamped it, and same thing.

I can only surmise the carb itself has a leak on the top where I was spraying it.

I plan to contact XRs Only tomorrow to see if they have any thoughts on the matter.
AndyCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:45 PM   #6237
thosforce
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Is the part you refer to as the "rubber boot" what is shown in the fiche as
#6 16211-KCY-670 Insulator, Carburetor

If so, what is the condition of the o-ring that fits into the insulator to seal to the cylinder head
#14 1491301-397-000 O-Ring (45x2.5)

I have had an air leak from this o-ring being pinched and/or broken
thosforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:44 AM   #6238
slideways
permanent ex-pat

Oddometer: 5,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCap View Post
Well, I may have solved my starting issues with the Pumper carb, but now I have an idling issue. With the choke on, the bike idles at high RPM as one would expect. It pops and sputters if i twist the throttle, again as expected. Once it is warm, I shut the idle off, and the bike will idle without issue if it is over Approx 1500 RPM, however, if I let it lower, it will start sputtering, and eventually stall.

This sounded like a vacuum issue to me, so when I had it idled low, I sprayed a bit of carb cleaner right where the front boot connects the carb to the cylinder. The idle went up, confirming that there is a leak there. I took the rubber boot off the cylinder head and gave it a close inspection, no holes or issues. I re-clamped it, and same thing.

I can only surmise the carb itself has a leak on the top where I was spraying it.

I plan to contact XRs Only tomorrow to see if they have any thoughts on the matter.
I have done their pumper carbs on a 400 and a 250. On both carbs I had to go much richer on the jetting. Also adjust the air screw and check the float height .

This is one of the best mods you can do to an XR. Once you get the jetting dialed in it will be a 1 kick affair to start your bike hot or cold.

Upper Italian Lakes report.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160841

South Africa, Swaziland, Botswana ride report
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454490

Great CanAm Tour
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476605
slideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:55 AM   #6239
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

Oddometer: 4,813
Quote:
My old XL250 used to need that. Turned out the bike had a wicked vacuum leak... the rubber carb boot had separated from the flat aluminum mounting plate.
XR400 Index
Stretch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:16 AM   #6240
XR4EVER
919 excuses to ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch67 View Post
My old XL250 used to need that. Turned out the bike had a wicked vacuum leak... the rubber carb boot had separated from the flat aluminum mounting plate.
Mine is just super lean at the valley floor (2400') so it will run right at the clouds where most of my riding takes place (6000'+). I can honestly say this bike has run exactly the same from the day I took it off the showroom floor till now.