Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2013, 08:23 AM   #6241
AndyCap
Mineral Oil Anyone?

Oddometer: 1,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by slideways View Post
I have done their pumper carbs on a 400 and a 250. On both carbs I had to go much richer on the jetting. Also adjust the air screw and check the float height .

This is one of the best mods you can do to an XR. Once you get the jetting dialed in it will be a 1 kick affair to start your bike hot or cold.
Yeah, mine starts fine now. It just won't idle properly. I tried the mixture screw and idle screw, but there is a leak so it won't hold proper vacuum.
AndyCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:25 AM   #6242
XR4EVER
919 excuses to ride!

Oddometer: 1,057
We took the kids up in the mountains to play in the snow in July on Saturday!

The little one fell asleep on the XR on the way back down the mountain. I swear that kid will fall asleep anywhere!

Old 07-08-2013, 09:29 AM   #6243
XR4EVER
919 excuses to ride!

Oddometer: 1,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR4EVER View Post
Now if you want me to post a pic of what that '01 will look like after years of hard abuse, just let me know!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
Id love to see that!

Old 07-08-2013, 11:08 AM   #6244
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR4EVER View Post

yeah, that is kinda beat up! I have a good few years in mine before it looks like that. In fact, I love the bike so much, I might buy another one JUST to ride off road. and keep the cherry one for dual sporting/supermotoing only.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:06 AM   #6245
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
Quote:
yeah, that is kinda beat up! I have a good few years in mine before it looks like that. In fact, I love the bike so much, I might buy another one JUST to ride off road. and keep the cherry one for dual sporting/supermotoing only.

I just used 2 sets of plastics.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:23 AM   #6246
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Hard starting XR400

http://www.justxr.com/jaw/stator.html

A while back there was some discussion on poor XR4 starting being attributed to the pulser in the stator and $200 to Ricky Stator is a fix. Seems that closing down the gap may work also. This article was interesting in that the resistance of the XR600 pulser should be 230 to 320 ohms. The XR400 manual gives voltages...not resistances....SOOOOO...question is, is the pulser resistance of a GOOD STARTING XR400 the 230 to 250 that was accomplished in the XR600 story?....if so...and I find the resistance on mine is on the high side, my guilt in spending $200 on a 18 year old XR400 EVAPORATES!!
Ed@Ford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:48 PM   #6247
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 30,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
http://www.justxr.com/jaw/stator.html

A while back there was some discussion on poor XR4 starting being attributed to the pulser in the stator and $200 to Ricky Stator is a fix. Seems that closing down the gap may work also. This article was interesting in that the resistance of the XR600 pulser should be 230 to 320 ohms. The XR400 manual gives voltages...not resistances....SOOOOO...question is, is the pulser resistance of a GOOD STARTING XR400 the 230 to 250 that was accomplished in the XR600 story?....if so...and I find the resistance on mine is on the high side, my guilt in spending $200 on a 18 year old XR400 EVAPORATES!!
but on the bright side..think how sexy your right leg will look from the workout you get from kickin the bejeezus out of that XR4

DrLewall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:28 PM   #6248
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
but on the bright side..think how sexy your right leg will look from the workout you get from kickin the bejeezus out of that XR4

DOC: Thanks but no thanks. That sumbitch really messed up my right foot's arch late last fall when it tried real hard to strand my ass in the woods in a snow storm....no frikkin thanks at all for fixing it's swing arm bolt etc. Bought something with electric start...yeah, nice, starts good....but it ain't a pimple on the ass of my 18 year old XR4....so I'm gonna take a swing at fixing the starting...again....
Old 07-09-2013, 02:32 PM   #6249
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

XR4EVER:

Yup...my oldest boy would fall asleep on my XL600, and my turbo Yamaha....about 25 years ago...good times
Old 07-10-2013, 08:13 AM   #6250
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
XR4EVER:

Yup...my oldest boy would fall asleep on my XL600, and my turbo Yamaha....about 25 years ago...good times
I had a Yamaha Secca 650 Turbo, everyone thought I was nuts, did they you? It sure was an esoteric bike. Even in it's day.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:14 AM   #6251
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

ANYONE here done an HID conversion in their stock XR400R headlight?
Old 07-10-2013, 08:45 AM   #6252
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I had a Yamaha Secca 650 Turbo, everyone thought I was nuts, did they you? It sure was an esoteric bike. Even in it's day.
Yup...bought it as a 2 year old leftover. With the boost trick in place, it was a real arm stretcher, but NOONE had a clue what a seca turbo was. Did a high speed track day on it...found out how stupid fast it was (how slow I was)...and I parked it. 25 years later sold it at a decent price to a restorer...it now is pristeen in a collection somewhere.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:52 AM   #6253
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Yup...bought it as a 2 year old leftover. With the boost trick in place, it was a real arm stretcher, but NOONE had a clue what a seca turbo was. Did a high speed track day on it...found out how stupid fast it was (how slow I was)...and I parked it. 25 years later sold it at a decent price to a restorer...it now is pristeen in a collection somewhere.
Mine had the "Yamaha Power Up Kit " too. It was fast, after a bit of turbo lag, and I also tried to go fast on it till it tried to do a Bull Rider imitation and tried to kill me a few times. Then I started to ride it as it should be ridden, as in like a old world street bike. I only had it about a year. It wasn't really mine in a sence. I had it as a shop bike from the Yamaha dealer I worked for the she just let me have it for like a year or so.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:31 PM   #6254
KilLeR Kawasaki
Marky A

Oddometer: 922
At Rampart Today

With my 17 year old kid(?). I can almost keep up with him now. His and his XR400's.

http://motodelmundo.blogspot.com/
KilLeR Kawasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:21 PM   #6255
MartiniUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by KilLeR Kawasaki View Post
With my 17 year old kid(?). I can almost keep up with him now. His and his XR400's.

Son looks relatively tall, that usually means big feet. I am size 12 and can't keep my feet out of the shifter when hustling, do y'all have the same problem? Solution? Thanks.
MartiniUp is offline   Reply With Quote