Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2013, 06:10 AM   #6301
marc11
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by krebsatm02 View Post
I could never get the temp ring over the spark plug and all the way down into the cylinder head. Trail tech said the xr400's are too deep and narrow and suggested putting it on a bolt on the cylinder head instead. This worked horribly on an air cooled engine as the temp would swing 100 degrees.
Ah thanks. You saved me from buying the temp ring. I have it all set up using a drz kit except for the temp. Wont bother now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-16-2013, 09:29 AM   #6302
XR400R99
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Shifting Woes

Hi Group,
I think I have a broken shift spindle spring. When downshifting, I have to lift the shift spindle up manually to continue downshifting, for each gear. Has anyone experienced this? Thanks in advance for your input.
XR400R99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:48 AM   #6303
XR4EVER
919 excuses to ride!

Oddometer: 1,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR400R99 View Post
I think I have a broken shift spindle spring....
Thumper Talk has been fairly worthless lately, but the XR250/400 section has a select few contributors who are very knowledgable and eager to help with the inner workings of these bikes. They might even send you free parts to help you fix it like they did for me! Try posting over there if no one knows here: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/18-xr250400/
XR4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:38 PM   #6304
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 31,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by krebsatm02 View Post
I could never get the temp ring over the spark plug and all the way down into the cylinder head. Trail tech said the xr400's are too deep and narrow and suggested putting it on a bolt on the cylinder head instead. This worked horribly on an air cooled engine as the temp would swing 100 degrees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc11 View Post
Ah thanks. You saved me from buying the temp ring. I have it all set up using a drz kit except for the temp. Wont bother now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
I think you guys are over thinking the oil temp..I mounted the sensor on the head/frame mount bolt..closer to the head...and then I took a meat thermometer and checked the temp. The head temp will be hotter than the oil temp and if you see here in the pix, there is abt a 40 deg difference..so what ever is read on the display, your oil is going to be abt 40 degs cooler..if it says 200, then figure your oil is at abt 160 etc

actual oil temp

DrLewall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:42 PM   #6305
XR4EVER
919 excuses to ride!

Oddometer: 1,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
[/URL]
If there is a Mrs. Lewall, I hope she didn't see that pic!
XR4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:51 PM   #6306
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,417
Quote:
I think you guys are over thinking the oil temp..
+1, You've got to be pretty hard on the XR4 to toast the oil, harder than most of us are capable of riding it.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:53 PM   #6307
81eagle
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartiniUp View Post
Stock? That's no fun, get in there and screw something up!
No way!!!! I rode it from 5000ft to 9900ft today and it ran great the entire time. I aint touchin' nothin'!!!! Except maybe a 440 kit and a pumper carb.
81eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:59 PM   #6308
KilLeR Kawasaki
Marky A

Oddometer: 927
Please show a pic of where you have the sensor attached. It does not want to go around the spark plug and in that inaccessible chasm.

Quote:
I think you guys are over thinking the oil temp..I mounted the sensor on the head/frame mount bolt..closer to the head...and then I took a meat thermometer and checked the temp. The head temp will be hotter than the oil temp and if you see here in the pix, there is abt a 40 deg difference..so what ever is read on the display, your oil is going to be abt 40 degs cooler..if it says 200, then figure your oil is at abt 160 etc

actual oil temp

Colorado Dual Sport Riders
KilLeR Kawasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:32 AM   #6309
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilLeR Kawasaki View Post
Please show a pic of where you have the sensor attached. It does not want to go around the spark plug and in that inaccessible chasm.
I will get a pic later today for ya...and you are correct, it will NOT go down into that spark plug chasm...I just woller'd out the hole a little to fit over the engine mount bolt on the head and put it there. And since I did not have it mounted where the instructions suggested, I wanted a better idea of what my oil temp would be, thus the meat thermometer test...it's not perfect, but I at least have an idea of just abt what the oil temp is, and so far, I have yet to exceed 200 degs on "actual" oil temp..I've come close to it, but haven't gone over 200.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:32 AM   #6310
krebsatm02
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Honestly, I'm just a dork and like to know things. Turns out I over analyzed the situation. What looked to be a small tube is actually the rectangular box steel that is the actual structural frame. I welded up the small hole in that and then patched the larger hole I used for exploratory surgery.
krebsatm02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:06 AM   #6311
KilLeR Kawasaki
Marky A

Oddometer: 927
How do you feel about adding it to the banjo bolt on the oil cooler or the oil reservoir down tube?

Quote:
I will get a pic later today for ya...and you are correct, it will NOT go down into that spark plug chasm...I just woller'd out the hole a little to fit over the engine mount bolt on the head and put it there. And since I did not have it mounted where the instructions suggested, I wanted a better idea of what my oil temp would be, thus the meat thermometer test...it's not perfect, but I at least have an idea of just abt what the oil temp is, and so far, I have yet to exceed 200 degs on "actual" oil temp..I've come close to it, but haven't gone over 200.
Colorado Dual Sport Riders
KilLeR Kawasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:32 AM   #6312
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilLeR Kawasaki View Post
How do you feel about adding it to the banjo bolt on the oil cooler or the oil reservoir down tube?
I suspect that would be fine, but in my book, right now my oil system is closed and not leaking and I know that if I open it up to insert a sensor, that SOB will leak or weep oil from now on..for me, I can live with the head bolt mount.

If you mount it up that way, take some pix and post up a report here for us all, pretty please?

tnx
Old 07-17-2013, 11:40 AM   #6313
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oil Temp Sensor, Trail Tec Display

As promised, here are some pix of how I mounted the sensor on the head.

This is for the Trail Tech Vapor

View of the motor's left side

Here you can see the sensor mounted to the engine mount bolt on the head

On the frame under the fuel tank is a cable clamp/support. Run the sensor wire thru it as shown

sorry for the fuzzy pic

Old 07-17-2013, 11:46 AM   #6314
DrLewall
The Human GPS

had the camera so took a pic..saddle bags and all

Old 07-17-2013, 12:07 PM   #6315
krebsatm02
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Here's my fubar...

Original hole is on the bottom left on the cut of the hole saw.

Inspection hole...

\

Patched with temp sensor bung, don't mind where the welder decided to start sputtering. I'll fix it when I tear everything down this winter and powder coat the frame.

krebsatm02 is offline   Reply With Quote