User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2013, 10:55 AM   #6511
osok
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
shifting issues?

picked up a fairly fresh 04' and took her on the maiden voyage yesterday. The ride was about 130 miles of mostly dirt roads and single track. I noticed it was very difficult to find nuetral while stopped with the engine running. Has anyone else experienced this? I have owned many Xr's over the years but dont remember it ever being this much of an issue with the other bikes. Nuetral is easily found while the bike is in motion, the problem is only when the bike is running and not in motion. The drive train is stock and the bike has around 500 miles on it. I have read this thread from the beginning and didnt see anything relating to this issue. I am hoping that maybe the bike is so new that it still needs time to "break in" but I doubt this is the case. Oil is clean and up to level. Maybe try new oil?

any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks
osok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:06 AM   #6512
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

Oddometer: 5,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by osok View Post
picked up a fairly fresh 04' and took her on the maiden voyage yesterday. The ride was about 130 miles of mostly dirt roads and single track. I noticed it was very difficult to find nuetral while stopped with the engine running. Has anyone else experienced this? I have owned many Xr's over the years but dont remember it ever being this much of an issue with the other bikes. Nuetral is easily found while the bike is in motion, the problem is only when the bike is running and not in motion. The drive train is stock and the bike has around 500 miles on it. I have read this thread from the beginning and didnt see anything relating to this issue. I am hoping that maybe the bike is so new that it still needs time to "break in" but I doubt this is the case. Oil is clean and up to level. Maybe try new oil?

thanks
Assuming your clutch cable is correctly adjusted, a previous owner may have installed the clutch discs incorrectly...

Link: http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=5515

Even so, mine can be difficult to ease into Neutral from time to time. I guess for the most part I've just gotten into the habit of moving the bike a bit while finessing the shift lever.
XR400 Index
Stretch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:35 PM   #6513
KilLeR Kawasaki
Marky A

Oddometer: 936
Mine can be difficult to find, running or not.
Colorado Dual Sport Riders
KilLeR Kawasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:46 PM   #6514
SpeedoJosh
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 778
Have the same issue on my 250. I just rock it a bit and it's easily found.
'Cause I like to party - Story of 2 XR650s conquering Florida
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=754094
SpeedoJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:52 PM   #6515
MartiniUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by osok View Post

thanks
With any used bike I buy I always change all oil and filters just for my peace of mind. Yours is probably ok, do what makes you comfortable. Grease EVERY PIVOT POINT and anti-sieze the chain adjuster bolts.
MartiniUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 03:29 PM   #6516
Gerd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Pissed Oil problem, maybe?

Hey guys, help me out with this...

Over in The Garage, I posted this
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...5#post22116905
regarding a problem with oil drainage in my Honda NX4, that engine-wise is very similar to the XR400...

Any of you XR experts can give me an idea if this is some error on my wrenching, an actual problem, or just unnecesary worrying?

Thanks!
Old 08-16-2013, 06:21 PM   #6517
spawn_x
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by KilLeR Kawasaki View Post
Mine can be difficult to find, running or not.
Mine's pretty much impossible to find while running, but easy otherwise

I know about the last clutch disk being installed in the different, but never was able to find an actual explanation as to why? I've thought over and over but can't figure it out

My belief is, these bikes have something funky with the shift forks / drums. I've had a 600r and 650r and neutral was never a problem. It sucks not finding neutral. Oh and because I have to hold my clutch in at red lights, the clutch plate bearing failed prematurely as well (heavy duty springs contributed)
Old 08-16-2013, 06:22 PM   #6518
Dexter2811
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerd View Post
Hey guys, help me out with this...

Over in The Garage, I posted this
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...5#post22116905
regarding a problem with oil drainage in my Honda NX4, that engine-wise is very similar to the XR400...

Any of you XR experts can give me an idea if this is some error on my wrenching, an actual problem, or just unnecesary worrying?

Thanks!
Check the garage and you have a pm...

Sent from my LG-E612g using Tapatalk 4
Old 08-17-2013, 10:35 AM   #6519
Baja Ho
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 752
Anybody know if the XR clutch will take full Syn. oil without slipping ?? Running a 50/50 blend now, but would like to switch to a full Syn. oil. Thanks for any info.
Baja Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:30 PM   #6520
kito
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
I find when i stop that if I pull the clutch and then give it a gentle little rev that it just pops in to neutral quite easy
kito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:15 PM   #6521
Gunslinger1
GIVE'R

Oddometer: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Ho View Post
Anybody know if the XR clutch will take full Syn. oil without slipping ?? Running a 50/50 blend now, but would like to switch to a full Syn. oil. Thanks for any info.

no problems for me
Gunslinger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:01 PM   #6522
G600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Ho View Post
I have no problems running full syn..
G600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:54 PM   #6523
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

Oddometer: 5,285
As long as the oil doesn't have 'Energy Conserving' in the bottom half of the "API Donut", it should be fine in wet-clutch engines...

The Energy Conserving additives make the oil so slippery that it could (and most likely will) cause the clutch to slip.
XR400 Index
Stretch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:02 PM   #6524
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300
finally did A couple shots at night of the new headlight and the LEDs. Pjone pole at end of shot is 150ft away.

Stock 35w headlight sucked and was barely visible in a pic but the BD 55w Halogen headlight is great comparatively. I have the LEs hooked hp as high beam or aux so can use them alone, headlight alone, or both.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:47 AM   #6525
G600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
finally did A couple shots at night of the new headlight and the LEDs. Pjone pole at end of shot is 150ft away....
Thanks for keeping us updated. This is very interesting. I probably will do something similar this winter, and I am sure lots of guys are considering the same.
G600 is offline   Reply With Quote