Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2013, 01:25 PM   #6616
mark1150
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphphoto View Post
Woohooo!.
Looked at it yesterday and Lo and Behold! Loose Screw. probably could have fixed this on the trail if i had a screwdriver with me. doh! Guess the loose screw is between my shoulders sometimes.

Lock tight is prescribed! "Thankfully the fix is easy," . Not so much with the wrong part bike bandit sent me. Linkage kit for the wrong years. Let's see if they can fix it quickly. Maybe its partially pivot works' fault since they label the '96-'97 parts ambiguously. I needed the 2000. But I paid BB. Major discount when it was on sale. It'll give me more time to clean the bike and see what I can uncover while I wait.

Thanks!
Jason
Glad it worked out for you mate, as it's a proper PITA when it all goes Pete Tong.
mark1150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:27 PM   #6617
mark1150
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
Here's a picture of me praying and giving thanks to the XR Gods fixt
I missed the edit when I first read it, bloody brilliant mate.
Thank you.
mark1150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:56 PM   #6618
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 30,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1150 View Post
I missed the edit when I first read it, bloody brilliant mate.
Thank you.
You are most Welcome!
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:22 AM   #6619
XR400R99
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
XR Transparent Tank Listed in the Swap Meet

Baja Designs Dual Sport LED Drop Down Tail Light and a 4 Gallon Gas Tank, transparent are listed in the Swap Meet Area. Thanks
XR440R Street Legal via Baja Designs Dual-Sport /
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
XR400R99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:44 AM   #6620
xr400r
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR4EVER View Post
On any internal engine parts, use Vaseline as a pre-lube. It is very oil-soluble, where grease is made to NOT wash away.
Thanks for the info! Anymore helpful advide on replace valve stem seals on the xr400?
xr400r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:27 PM   #6621
XR4EVER
919 excuses to ride!

Oddometer: 1,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by xr400r View Post
Thanks for the info! Anymore helpful advide on replace valve stem seals on the xr400?
Not from me. I'm mostly useless, with the occasional random burst of helpful info.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:17 PM   #6622
XR4EVER
919 excuses to ride!

Baja Designs DS kit brake light switch

Any of you with the Baja Designs DS kit on your bike ever run into this problem? I was out riding some nasty single track this past weekend when I realized I had no back brakes at the most inopportune time. I was pivot turning at a right-hand switchback on the edge of a cliff, tried hitting the back brake to keep from rolling backwards down off the edge, and....

We were riding through some thick brush earlier, so I just assumed I tore the rubber line when I looked down and saw fluid in the master cylinder area. I just now tore it apart and found the problem. The top of the banjo bolt blew out at the brake light switch. I have had this kit on since '02, and this is the first problem I've had with this. I no longer use it for road use, and the stock one is long gone, so I am just going to dig/drill out all of the switch components and weld the pig shut. If you have the same setup on yours, you may want to carry the stock banjo bolt with you in your tool bag or switch over to an external switch. I don't know if it was something that deteriorated with age, or if a foreign object got up in there and broke it.

And just for kicks, props to the XR for making trails like this look easy, even without brakes! It is hard to tell in the vid, but we gained 1300' elevation from the beginning to the end of the clip. One wrong move, and it is a loooong way down.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:55 PM   #6623
tonusmaximus
maximus

Oddometer: 413
so what are we using for extended fuel screw on the might xr4?. Aftermarket tank makes fiddling difficult. Also I have a stock white tank without hardware if anyone needs. Make offer by pm. Greater Cincy area.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2
tonusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:19 PM   #6624
jphphoto
jphphoto

Oddometer: 25
Swingarm mount and bolt cleaning

Hi,
Not sure if this has been discussed, but thought I'd ask.

I'm doing maintenance on the swing arm and shock of my 2000 XR400

The axle came out with some hammering (20 minutes) and pre-emptive squirts of liquid wrench penetrant each time I was in the garage over a 1 1/2 month period.

Clearly it was in there pretty tight. Before putting it all back together I want to clean up the bolt as well as the mounting hole on the engine cases. Thinking a brass brush for the mount point. Have any of you had luck with this? What do you recommend for cleaning up the swing arm bolt and the mounting hole?

Thanks,
Jason
Old 09-11-2013, 02:25 PM   #6625
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

Oddometer: 4,813
Quote:
Hi,
Not sure if this has been discussed, but thought I'd ask.

I'm doing maintenance on the swing arm and shock of my 2000 XR400

The axle came out with some hammering (20 minutes) and pre-emptive squirts of liquid wrench penetrant each time I was in the garage over a 1 1/2 month period.

Clearly it was in there pretty tight. Before putting it all back together I want to clean up the bolt as well as the mounting hole on the engine cases. Thinking a brass brush for the mount point. Have any of you had luck with this? What do you recommend for cleaning up the swing arm bolt and the mounting hole?

Thanks,
Jason
I sanded the rust off my bolt and then polished it using a wire brush wheel in a bench grinder. A cheap shotgun bore brush (Wal-Mart item) and WD-40 can be used to clean out the hole in the engine cases. Lots of high-quality waterproof grease (Mystik or Bel-Ray) all over the bolt upon reassembly. Do this maintenance once a year.
XR400 Index
Stretch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:20 PM   #6626
jphphoto
jphphoto

Oddometer: 25
[QUOTE=XR4EVER;22298284]Any of you with the Baja Designs DS kit on your bike ever run into this problem?

does anyone make a mechanical switch we can use?
glad you were able to continue.

And just for kicks, props to the XR for making trails like this look easy, even without brakes! It is hard to tell in the vid, but we gained 1300' elevation from the beginning to the end of the clip. One wrong move, and it is a loooong way down.OTE]

that ridge looks fun. is the path as narrow as it looks in the video?
Cause those switchbacks sure look scary from the wide angle lens.
Jason
Old 09-11-2013, 03:50 PM   #6627
XR4EVER
919 excuses to ride!

Quote:
does anyone make a mechanical switch we can use?
This one would probably work with some creative mounting, although Im not sure if it is a "pull to turn on" or "pull to turn off" switch:
https://www.denniskirk.com/210119.sk...FS_ZQgodyzUAQg

Quote:
that ridge looks fun. is the path as narrow as it looks in the video?
Cause those switchbacks sure look scary from the wide angle lens.
Jason
Yeah this one is pretty high on the pucker factor. I have been on ones that are a lot more dangerous, but the fact that this entire trail is a steep uphill climb, 8" wide, AND the trail itself has an off-camber, downhill pitch (and severely washed out in some spots); it is just relentless. It also doesn't help that you are blinded by tree branches every 10 feet. You learn really quickly not to look out at the scenery while moving -- your bike will follow where you look.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:33 PM   #6628
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 30,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch67 View Post
I sanded the rust off my bolt and then polished it using a wire brush wheel in a bench grinder. A cheap shotgun bore brush (Wal-Mart item) and WD-40 can be used to clean out the hole in the engine cases. Lots of high-quality waterproof grease (Mystik or Bel-Ray) all over the bolt upon reassembly. Do this maintenance once a year.
^^THIS!!! I learned the hard way!
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:16 PM   #6629
MCCOYBOY
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
I'm part of the group now ;)

I have been riding around my Dual Sported xr600 for about a year now and finally came across it's younger brother the xr400. Guy had it for sale for $400! It's a 2000 model and is mostly stock besides the stator and baja designs kit. Needs some TLC but I've got that handled.

I'm looking to turn her into a stealthy Dual Sporter with very few after market goodies. I did open the air box and found a spotless K&N air filter. Problem is I ride in some nasty conditions so that's got to go. Anyone have a UNI filter and cage they would want to trade for the K&N?

Pictures coming soon!
MCCOYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:45 PM   #6630
KilLeR Kawasaki
Marky A

Oddometer: 922
You stole that. Go out and do something nice for someone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCCOYBOY View Post
I have been riding around my Dual Sported xr600 for about a year now and finally came across it's younger brother the xr400. Guy had it for sale for $400! It's a 2000 model and is mostly stock besides the stator and baja designs kit. Needs some TLC but I've got that handled.

I'm looking to turn her into a stealthy Dual Sporter with very few after market goodies. I did open the air box and found a spotless K&N air filter. Problem is I ride in some nasty conditions so that's got to go. Anyone have a UNI filter and cage they would want to trade for the K&N?

Pictures coming soon!
http://motodelmundo.blogspot.com/
KilLeR Kawasaki is offline   Reply With Quote