Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2008, 08:26 PM   #61
sbruton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Good thread!

Hi guys,

It's nice to see this thread. I've been over at TT lurking around, but I'm really interested to see how you guys have outfitted your XR400 for "touring"...

I acquired my '00 XR400R this summer in a trade for an '01 DR650. The reason I went for the trade was that it was in great shape and was already Dualsported, so I didn't have to go through the hassle. I'm a big fan of the simplicity and reliability of the XR's - as was the case with the DR. I also like the off-road tendency and reasonably light weight of the XR vs. the DR.

At the moment my bike is apart awaiting the 440 kit (cylinder is at the machine shop) and the 200W stator the just arrived in the mail . I also have a black SDG seat on the way to replace the stocker that the PO cut
way down...

Here's a pic from last summer:

sbruton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 11:35 PM   #62
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbruton
Hi guys,

It's nice to see this thread. I've been over at TT lurking around, but I'm really interested to see how you guys have outfitted your XR400 for "touring"...

I acquired my '00 XR400R this summer in a trade for an '01 DR650. The reason I went for the trade was that it was in great shape and was already Dualsported, so I didn't have to go through the hassle. I'm a big fan of the simplicity and reliability of the XR's - as was the case with the DR. I also like the off-road tendency and reasonably light weight of the XR vs. the DR.

At the moment my bike is apart awaiting the 440 kit (cylinder is at the machine shop) and the 200W stator the just arrived in the mail . I also have a black SDG seat on the way to replace the stocker that the PO cut
way down...

Here's a pic from last summer:

go with some of tom's products:
http://www.turbocity.com/default.php?cPath=69_83
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 07:41 AM   #63
Hayduke OP
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,393
Nice bike, sbruton. I'm still torn- I like the Acerbis tank, but I don't want it's size to interfere with riding singletrack. What are your thoughts? Also, coming off of the DR650, how would you compare the two on road and off....

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:11 AM   #64
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke
....Also, coming off of the DR650, how would you compare the two on road and off....
Good question.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:04 AM   #65
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider
Good question.
offroad,
xr does much better as it more agile and the xr motor can be lugged while the dr motor is not happy when lugged. xr is a single track king. dr is better at fire roads and such.

onroad,
dr is happier. i've geared my xr down (14 tooth CS) to work optimally off road so that has an affect on road. still gets me down the hiway just fine, just not as fast or comfy as the dr.

as for the tank i'd say go with a clear ims if you need maximum fuel but i would not go any larger. any more and you're carrying too much weight up too high. a 200 mile day of single track would be mega epic and there are places in the ark valley/taylor park to plan and peel off for gas if need be. you're proabably think longer rides out to the advanced stuff in taylor park aren't you? just gas up at the taylor park store.

like i said you can throw 2 large msr bottles with gas in a pack if need be or get a rear rack and strap a gallon on the back or mount a small koplin tank on the rear.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350

eakins screwed with this post 01-21-2008 at 10:18 AM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:22 AM   #66
playzNmud
I love pedal derby

Oddometer: 4,080

the cameo "salutes"

```_o
`_-\<,_
(_)/_(_)
playzNmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:27 AM   #67
playzNmud
I love pedal derby

Oddometer: 4,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurobiker
Here, my kicker N00b..... from our friends at 4Strokes.com. Pay particular attention to "DON'T TOUCH THAT THROTTLE!"

General Four-Stroke Starting Procedures
  • If the engine is cold, it may help to turn up the idle screw slightly to aid in warm-up and give the engine a little extra fuel.
  • Turn the choke to full on.
  • Pull in the compression release lever, if so equipped, and push the kick-starter through 3 or 4 times. This will prime the engine with fuel.
  • Without the compression release lever pulled in, slowly push the kick-starter around to get the piston to top dead center. You'll know this when the kick-starter becomes hard to push down (indicating compression stroke).
  • Allow the kick-starter to return to the top.
  • Pull the compression release lever in and push the kick-starter down just a little (around an inch and a half or two). This gets the piston just past top dead center.
  • Let the compression release lever back out and bring the kick-starter back up to the top.
  • Now push the kick-starter down with as much force as you can and it should fire up. If it doesn't, wait a few seconds and try the procedure again.
Honda XR650R - Ken A. Moore Cold engine (cool outside)
  • Do not twist the throttle, no matter what you think or feel, or you will flood it.
  • Choke full on, ignition off.
  • Pull in compression release and kick the engine 4 kicks. This primes the engine.
  • Ignition switch on, choke on. Slowly kick the engine until TDC (the hard spot), then stop.
  • Pull in the compression release and gently push the kick leaver so the engine is just past TDC, then stop. Release the compression release leaver.
  • Now give her a nice firm kick of the kick starter. DON'T TOUCH THAT THROTTLE! She should fire up. If not, go back to #4.
  • Move choke to 1/2 position. DON'T TOUCH THAT THROTTLE!
  • After about 60 seconds turn off the choke. DON'T TOUCH THAT THROTTLE!
  • After about 2 minutes and the engine is getting warm, you may now slowly twist the throttle but go easy until fully warmed up.
then.. when those don't work.. cuss.. kick the bike.. cuss some more... take a dirt nap.. throw a temper tantrum.. and finally someobody will take pity...

oh ya... dirt nap again from exhaustion from kicking it!!!!

```_o
`_-\<,_
(_)/_(_)
playzNmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:32 AM   #68
sbruton
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke
Nice bike, sbruton. I'm still torn- I like the Acerbis tank, but I don't want it's size to interfere with riding singletrack. What are your thoughts? Also, coming off of the DR650, how would you compare the two on road and off....
Thanks!

The Acebis tank is BIG and I would only recommend it for back country type DS rides where it's not too aggressive. As eakins eluded to - it adds a lot of weight up high if the tank is full. I am running the stock tank now and will continue to do so unless I really need the extra range on long back country trips. The good thing is that they are super easy to change out and isn't a big deal to keep both tanks around!

I was trying to make my DR more capable off-road with various mods and now I'm trying to make the XR a bit more capable on-road (taller gearing, big bore etc). The suspension in the DR is very soft and more suited to true dualsport and back roads, however very comfortable on-road. You can ride single track with the DR, but much slower pace than the XR. There is no question the XR is a true dirt bike and the DR is not. If I can get the XR to run along the highway at 100 kph without ringing the sh!t out if and still have low enough gears to ride single track - I'll have the best of both worlds! I find the XR quite comfortable on the road, provided I can keep the RPM's down....
Old 01-21-2008, 10:43 AM   #69
Lone Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins
offroad,......
I've been thinking about a light DS bike that can carry some gear and had looked at the XR400 a couple of times. Now leaning towards the 223lb dry wt KDX220.

It's all a compromise and mind set thing.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:47 AM   #70
2old2race
I wana ride

Oddometer: 1,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by playzNmud
then.. when those don't work.. cuss.. kick the bike.. cuss some more... take a dirt nap.. throw a temper tantrum.. and finally someobody will take pity...

oh ya... dirt nap again from exhaustion from kicking it!!!!
And ajust the valves

Bob
'08 KLR650
'07 Tiger 1050 - Gone
'98 XR440 - Getting a frame up rebuild
'89 XR250 - Needs a Lic Plate
2old2race is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:51 AM   #71
sbruton
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider
I've been thinking about a light DS bike that can carry some gear and had looked at the XR400 a couple of times. Now leaning towards the 223lb dry wt KDX220.

It's all a compromise and mind set thing.
You're absolutely right...

I had a '97 KDX 220 that was "plated" for the road. It was a great bike, but the buzzy road manners were not pleasant. I found that I had to blip the throttle all the time when I was droning at a constant speed, even on a gravel road. Short blasts down roads to connect trail heads is fine, but I can't imagine riding for much distance on it....

Also keep in mind you'll need to carry oil to mix with your gas if you have to stop at a gas station to fill 'er up!
Old 01-21-2008, 10:57 AM   #72
Hayduke OP
///SAFETY THIRD///

Thanks guys. I'm just hoping the XR will keep up with the wifes XT225 on the road.

Eakins- Taylor park etc is what I was thinking for the big tank (and some other even longer "secret" routes). I've been over there when the Taylor Park store didn't have gas, though Luckily I was on the KLR supertanker.

Also I dream of some long rides in Utah and Baja...

Old 01-21-2008, 11:01 AM   #73
Lone Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbruton
...the buzzy road manners were not pleasant........................I can't imagine riding for much distance on it....
I did a short CO Rockies trip on the DR last summer and really enjoyed it, especially going solo and camping. To save the knobblies (and to get me to CA) I only rode 45-50mph on the pavement sections (4th gear) and I didn't go insane, was actually OK, hence the mindset reference.

No intent to hijack. I wanna see all the good XR400 info that spills out here.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:06 AM   #74
Hayduke OP
///SAFETY THIRD///

Just found the ride report Dazzer did awhile back. Proof of how versatile this bike can be- Yorkshire to southern Morrocco!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224760

Old 01-21-2008, 11:36 AM   #75
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 22,424
I'm really beginning to like this little bike. Just before this thread popped up, one appeared on my local CL. A 2001 for $1650. Alas it sold quickly to some other lucky bastid.

RallyRaidReview - @RallyRaidReview
doyle is online now   Reply With Quote