User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2008, 09:27 AM   #1
Venture OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
BMW Xch - Tire Choice

OK, I am trying to decide which knobbies to put on my Xch...

TKC80 or D606/MT21

I would like to go with the D606/MT21 combo, a more aggressive set - better for off-road... But my miles will likely be more road biased - maybe 50/50 on/off asphalt.

Would the TKC80s be a better choice for 50/50 on/off road tire? Bigger knobs, means more rubber on the asphalt and better stopping power and traction, right?

Thanks
Old 01-18-2008, 09:47 AM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,251
Discussed at length in this thread:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288141

and other options.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:12 AM   #3
Venture OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Discussed at length in this thread:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288141

and other options.

Not really.... I've read that thread - it's more about which knobbies people are using or like on the Xch for dirt....

My question is more about a compromise between dirt and asphalt....

I am assuming that the TKC80 is a better choice for asphalt than the D606/MT21... I've used the TKC80s on my 1200gs for long tours on asphalt with destinations being off-road adventures (i.e. CA to UT to ride the White Rim Trail, and then back to CA). The TKCs did nicely on the asphalt - but were done after that trip...

My mix of riding includes a lot of asphalt - not as much on the Xch as it was on the 1200GS - I figure it would be 50/50....

So, are the TKCs much better for road use than the D606/MT21 combo, and don't give up too much in off-road performance? I ride in CA - Bay Area for weekend day rides (a little wet right now), and SoCal deserts for longer trips (which I trailer to)... and plan a trip to Baja this Spring.

Or, Maybe the D606/MT21 is so much better of an off-road combo and don't give up much to the TKCs on-road that it would be crazy to pick the TKCs over the D606/MT21....

Opinions?
Old 01-18-2008, 10:16 AM   #4
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,251
I wouldn't think the TKC is a 50/50 tire. It's good on asphalt but doesn't last long when ridden long distances on asphalt... I'm going with 2 sets of wheels, one set for knobbies.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:35 AM   #5
Venture OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The TKCs do fine on the road, actually quite sticky... and I got 3000+ miles out of them on my 1200GS.... I want knobbies for the dirt, and I am willing to sacrifice tire life for it.

So, without going the route of two sets of wheels for dirt and asphalt.... TKCs or D606?

BTW, just for curiosity sake... Is your second set from BMW or did you build an off-road wheelset - Talons and Excels? Does the drive side being on the right limit you to BMW hubs? How about the ABS? If you have to use BMW, what do these hubs or wheelsets go for?
Old 01-18-2008, 11:37 AM   #6
Navaho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venture

So, are the TKCs much better for road use than the D606/MT21 combo, and don't give up too much in off-road performance? I ride in CA - Bay Area for weekend day rides (a little wet right now), and SoCal deserts for longer trips (which I trailer to)... and plan a trip to Baja this Spring.

Or, Maybe the D606/MT21 is so much better of an off-road combo and don't give up much to the TKCs on-road that it would be crazy to pick the TKCs over the D606/MT21....

Opinions?
Front tire: I've never noticed that the Dunlop is any worse than the TKC on pavement. I find the TKC a bit squirrely, actually. However, the Dunlop is certainly better offroad. The TKC is fine as long as it's hard dry ground. It will put you on the ground quickly in the mud. The 606 isn't that great either. That's why I don't use either one. Big, flat knobs are no good in the mud.

Rear Tire: Not as important as the front for control. If I was doing 50/50, I would go with the TKC if a smooth ride is your priority, and the Dunlop if you want more grip and don't mind a little more vibration/noise.

Sorry, no experience with the Pirelli MT21. I do a lot of serious offroading, so I use a 606 rear and an MT18 front. This is an excellent 50/50 combo if you don't mind the vibration of a real knobby on the highway. I've never had any problem with these knobby tires gripping on the pavement.
Navaho is offline   Reply With Quote