User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2007, 05:44 PM   #1
haggeo OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 877
baja designs electric start

i just bought a XR650R with a BD e-start. the previous owner had a pigtail installed to charge the battery because it is not being charged while riding for some reason. the bike starts fine all day but if it is not plugged in during the night it tries to start in the morning then nothing but a click. he had his local honda shop, who installed the e-start look it over and they could not find the problem, hence the charging pigtail. anybody have any pointers on where i could start looking? (he said the stator was rewound and thinks it's a 250w but did not seem 100% sure on the wattage.)

it kicks starts right up on the first kick so i don't really need the e-start but since the e-start is on the bike i may as well use it, right?

Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof." John Kenneth Galbraith

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. Marcus Aurelius

haggeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 06:12 PM   #2
cyclewizard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,811
You will have to get your stator rewound an make sure it's converted to DC current. I don't think he had it done.
Do you have three wires coming from the stator?

Start the bike an check the wires an see how many watts they are putting out.
start the bike an also check it at the battery to see what the volts are there.

Powered by CW-Pistons/cams
Wizard manufacturing....
cyclewizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 06:19 PM   #3
ncTRAILBOSS
A52 TOUR GUIDE

Oddometer: 2,536
Just guessing here,but the XR650R does'nt have a battery from the factory,[correct?].If that is true,there would have to be some sort of regulator installed to charge the battery without damaging it.It may be that the PO installed the leads to get around this.Some {all?} stators put out AC current,not DC.Most factory wired bikes have a regulator-rectifier.
ncTRAILBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 06:27 PM   #4
cyclewizard
Beastly Adventurer

take the cover off an see if it was rewound.
Check for current when the bike is running at the battery, then unhook the pos cable with the bike running an check for current. if current is low the stator is not putting out enough an needs to be wound.

Wizard manufacturing....

cyclewizard screwed with this post 12-02-2007 at 06:48 PM
Old 12-02-2007, 06:39 PM   #5
haggeo OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclewizard
You will have to get your stator rewound an make sure it's converted to DC current. I don't think he had it done.
Do you have three wires coming from the stator?

Start the bike an check the wires an see how many watts they are putting out.
start the bike an also check it at the battery to see what the volts are there.
the bundle of wires coming from the stator has at least three wires, it is in a sheath so i can't see each wire but it feels like more than 2. with the bike running it reads 13vdc at the battery. i had it on the charger for an hour and was able to e-start it. i found the pdf manual for the instal on BD's website so i'll look it over tomorrow, they do have a trouble shooting section for the does not charge problem.

Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof." John Kenneth Galbraith

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. Marcus Aurelius

Old 12-02-2007, 06:39 PM   #6
BDKW1
KL"X" not "R"

Oddometer: 896
Even with the rewound stator you will need a new regulator/rectifyer. The stock one puts out 12VAC which is great for running lights and such but not so good for the battery....... BD sells regulators get the #'s off yours and call them.
BDKW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 06:41 PM   #7
cyclewizard
Beastly Adventurer

Here's some key-points I encountered installing Baja-Designs electric start kit for those of you considering one yourselves.
First of all I've gotta say this kit's a beauty if some extra steps are taken before proceeding with the bolt up.
1.) A good sharp file and some patience were needed to match the not quite flat e-motor mating surface to the perfectly flat CNC machined side case surface.
2.) The e-motor Allen head mounting bolts need their head diameters turned down on a lathe (I used a bench grinder) to clear the side of the start-motor.
3.) The dull-grey top and bottom castings on the e-motor polish up beautifully using the old file, emery-cloth, and steel-wool routine.
4.) The e-motor "body",in my opinion, looks 1000% better on the side of a hot-pig if painted with low gloss black engine enamel.
5.) A little grease was used to prevent galling when pressing the slightly less than perfectly circular starter ring-gear onto the flywheel. De-greasing followed.
6.) The three cable clamp screws used inside the CNC case need flat and lock-washers (not included) to prevent bottoming before snug up.
7.) The large left foot-peg bolt had to be removed temporarily to get the new shift-lever onto the correct spline.
8.) My XR's only 15T case-saver had to be removed (the battery tray uses some of the same mount points)
9.) Care is needed to position the stock stator cable-stay out of the way below the clutch actuator levers path when torquing in the battery tray. Route the cable through this stay straight across to the right, under the front of the tray, then pull it rearward under the solenoid coming up at the carb. vent tube bundle. Also watch the crankcase breather hose, it contacts a sharp corner of the tray (file the corners smooth before tray install).
10.) If like me you have one of the "3-wire" voltage regulator / rectifiers sold for a short while some time ago by Baja-Designs you need to replace it with the "4-wire" one included with the e-start kit. The "3-wire" model (one red & two yellow wires sticking out of the epoxy with a separate black ground wire loose in its' harness) regulated voltage by limiting its' input current rather than by shunting output current to ground; good in principal but they drained batteries quickly when sitting creating insufficient turn-on voltage for its' own reg. / rectifier circuit at engine restart, further pushing your battery into oblivion ;-) I never experienced this directly as I always pulled my battery after every ride.

Wizard manufacturing....

cyclewizard screwed with this post 12-02-2007 at 06:49 PM
Old 12-02-2007, 06:51 PM   #8
haggeo OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMaggot
Just guessing here,but the XR650R does'nt have a battery from the factory,[correct?].If that is true,there would have to be some sort of regulator installed to charge the battery without damaging it.It may be that the PO installed the leads to get around this.Some {all?} stators put out AC current,not DC.Most factory wired bikes have a regulator-rectifier.
the PO did not install this it was installed by some cycle shop. i found a letter dated 1/29/06 in the maintenance folder the PO gave me, it read in part:

"...at this time you requested a baja designs electric start kit and oil sight tube . the electric start required having the stator rewound..."

it goes on to talk about having the battery tender pigtail installed

"...we noticed the battery was difficult to access for servicing purposes, so we went ahead and installed a battery tender pigtail..."

so i was wrong about the pigtail being installed because of e-start problems , must have started later. in any event i'll look it over tomorrow...

Old 12-02-2007, 06:58 PM   #9
haggeo OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclewizard
10.) If like me you have one of the "3-wire" voltage regulator / rectifiers sold for a short while some time ago by Baja-Designs you need to replace it with the "4-wire" one included with the e-start kit. The "3-wire" model (one red & two yellow wires sticking out of the epoxy with a separate black ground wire loose in its' harness) regulated voltage by limiting its' input current rather than by shunting output current to ground; good in principal but they drained batteries quickly when sitting creating insufficient turn-on voltage for its' own reg. / rectifier circuit at engine restart, further pushing your battery into oblivion ;-) I never experienced this directly as I always pulled my battery after every ride.
a-ha! this could be the deal with my bike. i'll check this out and the regulator/rectifier. thanks for the lead.

Old 12-02-2007, 07:04 PM   #10
cyclewizard
Beastly Adventurer

Let us know........