User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2008, 06:51 PM   #1
wheatwhacker OP
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,855
Another TAT

I'm planning a cross country trip this summer, have considered the TAT but, with pressing time and a need to cover more ground on a loaded KTM, I figure dirt and gravel are more suited to me than gnarly single track.
Bit by bit, I'm piecing together a route across the country.
I have some good maps and experience of the western states and figure I can make it most of the way from SF to CO via yosemite Nevada and Utah.
From here I depend on you guys to find me some nice scenic dirt headed straight East, to NYC.
I have friends in Wichita KS where I'll stop for a few nights and then want to pick up dirt again ASAP. Dirt in KS are mainly farm roads and are a dime a dozen so this part will be easy. Missouri, Indiana, Ohio or neighbouring states is where I'm looking. I'll head back a more southern route after doing an epic tour of the east coast, along the Gulf of Mexico and back through TX, NM, The Grand Canyon and LA.
I'll be solo with CDMA (Sprint) phone and a ham radio, either of which I cannot depend on for help if needed so, dirt without technical is fine for me.

If your sending me routes along this route, please send me GPS coordinates instead of locations as I'll just download the way-points before I go.

As a side trip, I may head to Vermont and while there may visit a friend in Quebec, so I'm sure there must be some scenic cross border routes as well instead of slabbing up hwy 91.

WW
Old 01-18-2008, 09:26 PM   #2
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 3,967
There are a bunch of us in Vermont who would be more then willing to show you some good trails and other fun route. PM me and we can work it out.

As for the TAT....the majority of it is on good roads that can be done at a fairly high speed. I think if you were really pushing it you could get from tennessee to Colorado in about 10 days. It wouldnt be as much fun but you could probably do the whole trail in 3 weeks.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Husaberg tank for sale: HERE
Seth S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 11:10 AM   #3
wheatwhacker OP
It's raining here

[quote=Seth S]There are a bunch of us in Vermont who would be more then willing to show you some good trails and other fun route. PM me and we can work it out. [quote]

Hey, thats great. I'll try and work on a week or so in that area, including heading up into Canada. I'd be blacklisted if I was so close and didn't make the ride up to see my bud.

I feel this trip is going to take longer than a month. The whole TAT thing, or parts of it will be 200-300 miles/day max so, crossing the country in a week is not going to happen. I'll take as long as it takes to dirt it all the way from CA-VT and then down to NY.
Taking off work is not a problem as I have my life organized to work 10 months of the year, it's just that I like a long Xmas break too, so I may have to forego on that to make this trip work.
Old 01-19-2008, 05:19 PM   #4
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatwhacker
I'm planning a cross country trip this summer, have considered the TAT but, with pressing time and a need to cover more ground on a loaded KTM, I figure dirt and gravel are more suited to me than gnarly single track.
There is "NO" gnarly single track on the TAT----there is no single track at all--you were misinformed.
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 06:10 PM   #5
trampaslake
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com
There is "NO" gnarly single track on the TAT----there is no single track at all--you were misinformed.
Agreed. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but the last section of single track was the Rainbow Trail in Colorado. But it stopped being in Sam's maps several years ago, although I'm told it's still open.

To be honest, if you've never done the TAT, I'd seriously consider using it, instead of creating your own. The scenery is outstanding and you can travel quick on it if you really need to. At least, that's what I've found. Plus the work is already done for you.

Just my $0.02.
trampaslake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 07:17 PM   #6
wheatwhacker OP
It's raining here

Ok, sounds good, no single track.
My issue here is that I want to create a route across the country that can be done on heavily loaded ADV bikes in 10-14 days and can take in a lot of scenery at the same time.
From what I've read the TAT is a multi week trip on a sparsely loaded bike. I will have a packed schedule and cannot afford to doddle around on some farm land when I could be cruising over mountain passes, hitting 2 lane for a 100 miles and dirt again.
I am working on a route right now which so far has taken me as far as Wichita KS through some beautiful scenery, 50%dirt/gravel and the rest quiet 2 lane.
I'm now trying to figure a route from there to Vermont, across the border and beyond.