User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2008, 05:15 PM   #16
eyedragaknee
McGuyver

Oddometer: 2,318
Honda

Knee-dude, I've seen that picture before... it makes me feel- lust, pain, confused, envious... I'm limp. Do you have a story about the work done anywhere?

The first bike I ever rode on was a 150 Dream(white). I rode bitch to high school on the back, in the snow, uphill both directions. I decided I would get one someday and restore it. I came across this one on a trade for some junk in a garage. It was a POS as far as cosmetics but only 4600 miles on it. I have it all finished except the petcock leaked and I can't fix it, so am machining an adapter to use a modern one. It fired right up and purred like a kitten. Should have it running again maybe next week.
I have built and sold a lot of bikes, but this is a keeper.

JR

eyedragaknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 05:35 PM   #17
Cowboy OP
Ceteris non Paribus

Oddometer: 3,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyedragaknee
. . . I came across this one on a trade for some junk in a garage. It was a POS as far as cosmetics but only 4600 miles on it. . . . It fired right up and purred like a kitten. Should have it running again maybe next week.
I have built and sold a lot of bikes, but this is a keeper.

JR

Eyedragaknee,

That 150 looks really super! Definitely an inspiration! I hope I'm as fortunate. This CB160 only has a bit over 4000 miles, so I'm hopeful that it won't require any engine work.
Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 06:56 PM   #18
eyedragaknee
McGuyver

Cb160

It'll turn out fine, just takes a lot of time. You can do it.The small bikes are a blast to rice.

I'd like to do a CL77 sometime too.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:29 PM   #19
Bloodweiser
honestly

Oddometer: 2,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyedragaknee
The small bikes are a blast to rice.
intentional or not, thats worth a
Bloodweiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 10:32 PM   #20
305racer
Fossil Rocket Pilot

Oddometer: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1305
For parts sourcing and info you may be able to track down some of the roadracing clubs racing CB 160s as a racing class. I think they are all in the PNW, but not positive. I only remember reading about it over last year or the year before.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/F-160/
Old 01-20-2008, 11:50 AM   #21
Cowboy OP
Ceteris non Paribus

I diassembled the carbs and petcock on the CB160 last night, and found the anticipated dried fuel residue. As is typical, one carb was full of the stuff, and the other was much cleaner. I soaked everything in carburetor cleaner, and it all cleaned up nicely.

I reassembled everything with the original gaskets, which appear to be serviceable for now. I will replace them all in the long term, but I want to get the bike running first, and see how the existing jets work at this altitude. I live at 7200 feet and most of my riding is much higher, so I often have to use smaller fuel jets and larger air jets to deal with the altitude. I'll order new gaskets and o-rings when I order the new jets. (I might do things differently if the carbs were difficult to get on and off, like on the four cylinder Hondas. The Cb160 carbs come off in a jiffy, though. This whole engine is so simple and accessible, working on it should be a breeze.

I ordered new tires (trials type, since I plan to use this bike mostly on forest roads and in the Red Desert.) Also picked up new tubes yesterday, and a new chain. The old sprockets look like they were hardly used at all, (with only 4000 miles, I guess they WERE barely used) but the chain was horribly rusty. I'm surprised I didn't break the chain while rocking the bike back and forth around the garage.

I'll pull the back wheel when I replace the chain, and check out the brake and bearing conditions. If the back is like the front, I will be thrilled.

It amuses me that so many motortcycles wind up being used for such short distances, then parked for decades. I've done several car restorations, and the mechanical parts on old cars are nearly always worn out. On so many old bikes, the internal mechanical parts are basically unworn. This looks like another bike that will be back on the road with litle more than a new chain and new cables, and a bit of cleaning.

Why do people abandon motorcycles with so few miles on them?
Old 01-20-2008, 01:39 PM   #22
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 16,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy
Why do people abandon motorcycles with so few miles on them?
They come to their senses. Motorcycles are dangerous!

Keep it coming!

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.

~Augustine of Hippo
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 02:21 PM   #23
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,981
I remember from my CB 160, it doesn't have an oil filter as such, but rather a lube oil purifier (or LOP) as we called them onboard ship. It's a centrifugal oil purifier that IIRC is on the right side of the crankcase.

Digging deep into the memory banks, I want to say after you pull the cover, the centrifuge part has a lid held on by a central bolt. There are two tabs that I used to grab with pliers to pull the lid off and clean the sludge from the cannister walls. Don't break those tabs off. DAMHIK. But I can tell you that after one of them got broken off it was a bitch to get the lid off, and the motor had a little more vibration up around the redline of 10K rpm.

At the miles on that bike, it shouldn't have much in it unless it hasn't been cleaned following the break in period.... Uuhhh, you might want to add that to the list of things to check then.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 05:33 PM   #24
Cowboy OP
Ceteris non Paribus

Quote:
I remember from my CB 160, it doesn't have an oil filter as such, but rather a lube oil purifier (or LOP) as we called them onboard ship. . .

At the miles on that bike, it shouldn't have much in it unless it hasn't been cleaned following the break in period.... Uuhhh, you might want to add that to the list of things to check then.
Thanks for the heads-up Mark. I agree, the LOP should be on my list of things to clean before I try to fire up this bike. BTW, I'm a former U.S. Navy Engineman. I worked on engines with LOPs too!
Old 01-20-2008, 05:57 PM   #25
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,981
Quote:
Thanks for the heads-up Mark. I agree, the LOP should be on my list of things to clean before I try to fire up this bike. BTW, I'm a former U.S. Navy Engineman. I worked on engines with LOPs too!
Cool! Were you guys called "Snipes". That was the Coast Guard term for Engineers. Black greasy handprints were known as Snipe Prints. And since everything was painted white they show up better than on grey-hulls. But anyway, you'll know the routine then.

I made it as far as BM2 before getting kicked in the ass to go to OCS. Running boats at the world's busiest Search And Rescue (SAR) station at Miami Beach I earned the respect of the MKs that rode with me because in my knife holster I cut a slot for a 6" crescent wrench that came in real handy a time or two. And I wasn't afraid to use it when things went to shit.

My teenage daughter's boyfriend is looking seriously at a merchant marine career because his Dad is big into a ship repair company here. I did some online searches for some info to get him going in the right direction. All I could tell him was I wish I was a little younger to start another career

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 07:38 PM   #26
Cowboy OP
Ceteris non Paribus

Quote:
Cool! Were you guys called "Snipes". That was the Coast Guard term for Engineers. Black greasy handprints were known as Snipe Prints.
Yep, we were "snipes" in the Navy too. Never heard anyone refer to "snipe prints" but then, we were a rough lot. people may have made those jokes under their breath, for fear they might get a "snipe print" on their face!

I only made it to EN3, then got our and went to college. Now I'm a lawyer, and I only turn wrenches for fun.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:35 PM   #27
OffRoadCruiser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
This is what mine looked like in the 1960's

I owned 2 CB160s, the first one was probably a 1965 because it had the same front fork to front axle attachment as your bike Cowboy.

The other 160 I rode had a sturdier attachment system with two bolts holding a cap to the bottom of the fork so I assume it was a 1968 or so.

Since then I bought another CB160 but I have not started the restoration project, it is missing a few parts.

Have fun and keep posting your pictures.

Carl
OffRoadCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 09:31 PM   #28
Cowboy OP
Ceteris non Paribus

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffRoadCruiser
I owned 2 CB160s, the first one was probably a 1965 because it had the same front fork to front axle attachment as your bike Cowboy.

The other 160 I rode had a sturdier attachment system with two bolts holding a cap to the bottom of the fork so I assume it was a 1968 or so.
Carl,

I was surprised by the front axle attachment on this bike. Every other Honda I've owned has had the system you just described, with "caps" on the bottom of each fork leg that hold the axle on. The front axle on this one is much more difficult to remove.

It looks like the bike in your photo has a chrome fender on the front. Is that my imagination?
Old 01-20-2008, 10:14 PM   #29
OffRoadCruiser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
CB160 silver vs. chrome fender

Quote:
Carl,

I was surprised by the front axle attachment on this bike. Every other Honda I've owned has had the system you just described, with "caps" on the bottom of each fork leg that hold the axle on. The front axle on this one is much more difficult to remove.

It looks like the bike in your photo has a chrome fender on the front. Is that my imagination?
Yes my first CB160 had a chrome fender and I am quite sure it was a 1965 but it could have been a 1964. I am guessing; I bought it in 1966, used from somebody who could not pay his bike shop bill.

My first 160 had the same front fork attachemnt as yours, you can barely see it in the B&W picture I attached previously.

My friend owned a 150 Dream at the same time, the model with the stamped metal frame, the flared front fender, the funny little front suspension and also had square rear shocks.

After my friend sold his 150 he bought a newer CB160, that is the one with the 'Honda' front fork attachment the same as the CB160 I have in the basement now, I think mine is a a 1967; here is a picture:

I do not have any pictures of the 1968 that my friend owned and later sold to my brother. I rode it back and forth between Waterloo (University) and Toronto every weekend for 3 months (120 miles on the superslab round trip) we were getting our truck ready to drive to South America.

I think that the 1968 had a silver fender, the one I have in the basement certainly does:

I have many other bikes waiting for restoration, CB77, CL77, CB175, CB450, CL450, CB550 4 cyl, RM125. CR80, 125TNT and 250TNT CanAms, Husqvarna WR 125, I doubt I will get around to working on them soon, too much fun riding.

Also R90S, R1200C and DRZ400S in running condition.

Thank you for the memories,
Carl
OffRoadCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 04:40 PM   #30
eyedragaknee
McGuyver

Cl77

Might be looking for one of those now that the 150 is finished(previous post). I'd give it a good home.