Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2008, 10:53 PM   #61
adrenaline
Valentino Rossi Fanatic

Oddometer: 10
I just picked up this 160. I want to restore it. I have only been able to find new spark plugs and carb kits. Outside of that I could use some help tracking down sources for parts. Here are some pics of my project.

Any advice would be appreciated.
adrenaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 10:56 PM   #62
adrenaline
Valentino Rossi Fanatic

Oops the third pic was supposed to be this one.

Old 10-27-2008, 06:45 AM   #63
Putts
Gettin' there.

Oddometer: 11,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenaline
I

Any advice would be appreciated.
Welcome n00b! Lessee, posted some pix----check. Profile filled out? Check. Got a junker awaiting wrenching? Check.

All that's left is to start your own thread. Don't be shy, go ahead, use the pix above.

Hmm, maybe we need a ...

CB160 Forum Now!
Old 10-27-2008, 07:00 AM   #64
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyedragaknee
A year later

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:18 AM   #65
crewboy555
n00b

Oddometer: 1
well, since we're on the subject...

I just got myself a CB160 that I'll be restoring this winter. I got it off ebay without a title (of course), so I don't know what year it is. Do you guys know if I can find out the model year from just the VIN?
crewboy555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 09:53 AM   #66
Cowboy OP
Ceteris non Paribus

Oddometer: 3,131
Progress!

So I was working with my wife over the weekend, building a door for a shed we built. One of the boards in the door frame was a bit warped, so I used lap joints, and glued and screwed them, figuring it would flatten out when the glue dried. I needed some weight to work against the warp. AS I looked around the garage, I found the perfect weight: a CB160 engine and gearbox!

Which got me to feeling sad, using that engine as a paperweight instead of blasting up and down the mountains.

SO I decided a little forced progress was needed, to get me back into the restoration mood. Since we had the woodstove going in the garage, I went back out after dinner, and decided to strip and paint t couple minor parts, so I could feel some progress. So I got out the wire wheel and stripped the swingarm and the footpeg bracket, and blew some flat black frame paint on them. That feels better! Progress! (pics to come!)

I plan to go out and finish stripping the frame tonight! The wheels are already cleaned up, and mounted with fresh tires and tubes. Once the frame has a fresh coat of paint, I can re-assemble the swingarm, mount the back wheel, and by the end of the week, it will start looking like a bike again! That should give me the motivation I lacked when the weather was good for riding. Temps are hovering around zero today, so I'm not even slightly tempted to ride!
Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 12:31 PM   #67
jake28
Riding to the horizon.

Oddometer: 390
Good on you, we're all waiting to see the creation.
jake28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 05:19 PM   #68
adrenaline
Valentino Rossi Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy
So I was working with my wife over the weekend, building a door for a shed we built. One of the boards in the door frame was a bit warped, so I used lap joints, and glued and screwed them, figuring it would flatten out when the glue dried. I needed some weight to work against the warp. AS I looked around the garage, I found the perfect weight: a CB160 engine and gearbox!

Which got me to feeling sad, using that engine as a paperweight instead of blasting up and down the mountains.

SO I decided a little forced progress was needed, to get me back into the restoration mood. Since we had the woodstove going in the garage, I went back out after dinner, and decided to strip and paint t couple minor parts, so I could feel some progress. So I got out the wire wheel and stripped the swingarm and the footpeg bracket, and blew some flat black frame paint on them. That feels better! Progress! (pics to come!)

I plan to go out and finish stripping the frame tonight! The wheels are already cleaned up, and mounted with fresh tires and tubes. Once the frame has a fresh coat of paint, I can re-assemble the swingarm, mount the back wheel, and by the end of the week, it will start looking like a bike again! That should give me the motivation I lacked when the weather was good for riding. Temps are hovering around zero today, so I'm not even slightly tempted to ride!
My restore has been going really slow. I have not found any good sources for parts yet. I really need a tank. I think like you I might just start tearing it apart so I will be more diligent searching for parts.

Send us some pics. For the very least to motivate us to get moving.

Also if you have any restore tips please share them.

Good for you getting back at it.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:02 PM   #69
Cowboy OP
Ceteris non Paribus

The "forced progress" I put myself through last night has worked wonders for my motivation. Here are pics of some of the parts I've cleaned up, refreshed, or renewed, including: new tires, cleaned up wheels, tank side panels, speedometer glass, bezel and face, chain guard, swing arm, and footpeg brackets (with new rubbers).

This is progress, and it feels good to get all these parts in one place, instead of hiding in the cabinet where they don't motivate me!

The tank and frame are mostly stripped of old paint now. The rear wheel looks as good as the front. I've done little to the engine except clean it up at the car wash, and it looks great now. Most of the small sheet metal parts have been sanded, and are ready for new primer/paint. I've got lots of work to do on the fenders. The front, in particular, has lots of dings, but a hammer and dolly will fix most of it. I still have a big box full of parts that I haven't touched, though!

Cowboy screwed with this post 12-15-2008 at 10:11 PM
Old 12-15-2008, 10:14 PM   #70
Cowboy OP
Ceteris non Paribus

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenaline
My restore has been going really slow. I have not found any good sources for parts yet. I really need a tank.
What's wrong with your tank? I have a spare you could have for the cost of shiping, but it has its own problems. It appears to have been abused at the scrap yard. I bought it because it had good rubber pads, and one good chrome panel. The tank itself is pretty beat up, but it does not appear to be rusted at all. you could cut it apart at the seams, hammer out the dents, then weld it back together, if you are inclined.

What other parts are you looking for? Between ebay, Bill Silver, and Honda, I've been able to find most of what I need.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:53 AM   #71
adrenaline
Valentino Rossi Fanatic

sweet I may take you up on the tank. Mine is dented too and I think the Petcock doesn't work. It seems the flow of fuel is not right. I mean when I fire up the bike it revs super high for about a minute then it comes back to a normal idle then when you ride it it quits idling. I am sure it is something with the tank and the petcock. I have been through the carbs and they are clean as a whistle.

You have inspired me to get off of my ass this weekend and take mine apart. Thanks for the pictures. Nice work.
Old 12-21-2008, 04:55 PM   #72
Cowboy OP
Ceteris non Paribus

More progress! The CB160 is starting to look like a motorcycle again, instead of just a pile of parts. Over the weekend I cleaned up the fork clamps, forks, and rear shocks. I finished stripping the old paint off the frame & fork lowers. I had not intended to do a bare-metal respray on this bike, as I intend it as a daily rider, but I was forced. When I started sanding, I found that there were three layers of paint on most of the bike: original white, later green, then black. The black was very poorly done rattle-can work. I envisioned riding the bike, and finding small rock chips all over that exposed the green or white paint below. I can't stomach the look of obvious poor paintwork, or many layers exposed in a paint chip, so I've been taking most parts down to bare metal.

After some re-assembly work today, here's the current state of the bike:

Darn camera is too good. Now I'm wishing I had dusted off the frame before I took the photos!
Old 12-21-2008, 08:11 PM   #73
Doug Matson
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,415
Very cool! I bought a new CB160 in 1964 and rode it all through High School. I have always wanted to find a nice one to restore and watching this gets me thinking about that again. Here is a pic of a adventure ride with a buddy on his 305 Scrambler, we rode the last "Death Valley Tour". Got home late and tired after about 375 miles that day.
93' XR 200
72' SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
70' CB 350
65' CB 160
Doug Matson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:07 PM   #74
adrenaline
Valentino Rossi Fanatic

Cowboy that is really really cool. You have inspired me to get to work. I have steel wooled the front rim. It is pretty far gone, but it looks soo much better. I will probably pull the motor this weekend. And I may pull it clear down to the frame. Did you spray your own frame? I don't have the place to spray so I will probably have to send mine out.

I would like to make mine a daily driver also. It would be fun to go on a road trip as the previous poster stated he did. I am getting really stoked now. Once I do something outstanding I will post pictures. Please keep updating me on your progress.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 12-23-2008, 08:36 AM   #75
stroming it softly
twins forever

Oddometer: 173
Here are some sites that have parts--www.westernhillshondayamaha.com and www.ohiocycle.com. Petcocks are no longer available new but you can find plenty of rebuild kits. www.groupwracing.com has a lot of resources and links to 160/175's.