Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2009, 07:10 PM   #106
Minnesota Driver
Head greenskeeper

Oddometer: 91
Boy am I glad I found this site! I just picked up a '66 cb160 from a co-worker for $200. It's been sitting in his barn for 25 years. He says the bike ran great when he parked it, but the starter went out and the kicker was stripped so he lost interest. The bike is all there and should be a good project.

This past week I went to work on the carbs and cleaned the points, changed oil & cleaned filter, new fuel lines & spark plugs and ground a keyway in the kicker shaft and lever & tapped in a key temporarily. (The tank is like new inside and didn't have to touch it!) A squirt of gas down each plug hole and 5 kicks & she was alive!

Now the fun begins...

Minnesota Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:15 PM   #107
prince_ruben
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,707
Congrats!
Old 04-01-2009, 08:12 AM   #108
kkenw
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy
I took the bike to get it registered, and because it came from out of state, I had to have the VIN # inspected. It turns out that the VIN did not match, and I couldn't get the bike titled. All the numbers matched the title, except the "C" at the beginning oc CB160 ####### was missing.

I decided to restore the bike anyway, and just ride it at home. (I live on an acreage where I could make use of it as a sort of "farm bike") I figured that I might be able to come across a basket case bike in the future with a good title, and then switch out frames. So I stripped the bike down to a nearly bare frame, and started sanding and sandblasting several layers of paint off the frame, tank, stand, fenders and sidecovers. In the course of sandblasting the steering stem, I found the missing "C" in the VIN #, hidden under a run in the paint from an earlier sloppy paint job.

Hey Cowboy,
Greetings from another lawyer turning wrenches for a hobby.
Did you find that "C" where you expected it to be? I recently acquired a '65 for which I am attempting to research the title/registration. The frame number starts with "B160". I scraped all the paint off with a knife and still no "C". I am aware that the engine numbers begin with B160 but it is my understanding that the frame stamping should include a "C".
kkenw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:21 AM   #109
stroming it softly
twins forever

Oddometer: 173
I just went through a bonded title ordeal last week to get my 160 on the road. What really helped me was a notarized bill of sale from the previous owner that had the vin and engine number listed on it. I also have a number of 160 frames and all the vin's begin with 'b', I don't recall ever seeing one with a c preceding it. Good luck.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:41 AM   #110
Cowboy OP
Ceteris non Paribus

Oddometer: 3,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkenw
Hey Cowboy,
Greetings from another lawyer turning wrenches for a hobby.
Did you find that "C" where you expected it to be? I recently acquired a '65 for which I am attempting to research the title/registration. The frame number starts with "B160". I scraped all the paint off with a knife and still no "C". I am aware that the engine numbers begin with B160 but it is my understanding that the frame stamping should include a "C".
I found the "C" where I expected it to be. This revelation that the C was not normally stamped on the 160s sheds a bit of light on something that made me curious: the "C" stamp is much shallower than the other letters and numbers on the VIN, almost as if it were stamped separately. (part of the reason that a run in the paint made it nearly invisible.) I'm guessing that someone may have stamped it later to make it match the title, which includes the "C" at the beginning of the VIN. Why the title would have included the "C" when the frame did not is a puzzle though.

I'm curious, how many of the other CB160 owners here have titles that include the "C" in the printed VIN?

Does anyone else have a CB160 that includes the "C" stamped on the steering head?
Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:45 AM   #111
Cowboy OP
Ceteris non Paribus

Intersting seat! I've never seen one like that on a CB160.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Driver

Old 04-03-2009, 05:20 PM   #112
Minnesota Driver
Head greenskeeper

Quote:
Intersting seat! I've never seen one like that on a CB160.
The guy I bought it from said the seat and handlebars are off an old Bridgestone. When he bought the bike in 69, the original owner had gutted the foam out of the original seat to look more like a racer(?!), and he had ape hangers on it! I will be making my own seat.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:22 PM   #113
Minnesota Driver
Head greenskeeper

Oh, and there is no "C" stamped at the beginning of my vin.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:10 PM   #114
Cowboy OP
Ceteris non Paribus

A request: Could one of you snap a photo showing how the ignition condenser is mounted to your CB160? Mine has a small rubber grommet on one of the wires, and I don't recall what the wire passed through, to require the grommet.

I made lots of progress on my bike this weekend, finished up the engine rebuild, installed the engine in the bike, and generally reassembled it. I even managed to get it fired up and running. Sadly, I also broke the kickstart lever. I guess my luck is good though: I learned that Honda Trail 90s used the same lever, and I happened to have a spare one in my pile of Trail 90 parts.

Now I'm ready to start painting the tin, and get this sweet little bike back on the road!
Old 04-06-2009, 04:33 AM   #115
GIJoeBob
Foolish and Inexperienced

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
A request: Could one of you snap a photo showing how the ignition condenser is mounted to your CB160? Mine has a small rubber grommet on one of the wires, and I don't recall what the wire passed through, to require the grommet.

I made lots of progress on my bike this weekend, finished up the engine rebuild, installed the engine in the bike, and generally reassembled it. I even managed to get it fired up and running. Sadly, I also broke the kickstart lever. I guess my luck is good though: I learned that Honda Trail 90s used the same lever, and I happened to have a spare one in my pile of Trail 90 parts.

Now I'm ready to start painting the tin, and get this sweet little bike back on the road!
I'll try to get a photo of mine when the sun comes up.
GIJoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 01:00 PM   #116
Minnesota Driver
Head greenskeeper

Here's a question for ya. I went to transfer the title and they said they need an engine serial number. I can't find it. Where would this be stamped??
2008 Roketa 50
Old 04-13-2009, 03:07 PM   #117
GIJoeBob
Foolish and Inexperienced

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Driver
Here's a question for ya. I went to transfer the title and they said they need an engine serial number. I can't find it. Where would this be stamped??
Mine has a number on top of the transmission case.
GIJoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 03:54 PM   #118
Cowboy OP
Ceteris non Paribus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIJoeBob
Mine has a number on top of the transmission case.
Mine too! Time to wipe off some of that thick oily sludge on top of your case, Minnesota!
Old 04-13-2009, 08:19 PM   #119
Minnesota Driver
Head greenskeeper

Is it in that raised rectangle on the left side? Cuz it looks like it would be there but there's nothing. Hmmm...
2008 Roketa 50
Old 04-13-2009, 09:22 PM   #120
SimpleSimon
Aspiring advrider

Oddometer: 3,388
I did a pertronix conversion on mine last weekend (CB175). I also ditched the stock coil for an aftermarket one I mounted in the horn location. The pertronix kit mounts on the points plate and removes the timing advance piece.

Still not running yet because i couldn't get it timed and my carbs still have problems. I'll post pics once I'm done.

"Assembled Spectator Scoring With Incriminating Photographic Evidence" or A.S.S.W.I.P.E. - Granparacer
SimpleSimon is offline   Reply With Quote