User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2014, 08:58 AM   #1
Creeker747 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Phoenix to Santa Barbara & The Good People of Phelan, CA

I have to first start off and admit that I had not planned on this being my first ride report. I am only writing this report to bring attention to an incident that happened to me. My trip was solely intended to get over to Santa Barbara for a very important meeting and take a route that has alluded me for years - CA2 or better known as Angeles Crest Hiway.

So, for the purpose of photos, I apologize and will be using a lot of web based shots since I didn't take hardly any photos. However, it's very important for me to get this story out to our ADV community for the reasons that you will soon see.................

The bike: 2005 Honda VFR800

The route:

Map Link: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...E.k4Yl4vIsJr3U
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"

Creeker747 screwed with this post 10-25-2014 at 09:03 AM
Creeker747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 09:10 AM   #2
JettPilot
ADV Fanatic !!!

Oddometer: 410
I cant wait to hear your story !!! Bring it on
JettPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 09:59 AM   #3
strat10
2014 KTM 690R

Oddometer: 19
If your gonna ride Angeles Crest, make sure and hit 9 mile road. The best 9 miles you will ever ride. Its an off shoot of the crest, ask around, you will find it. (upper big tajunga canyon road)
strat10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 10:01 AM   #4
strat10
2014 KTM 690R

Oddometer: 19
Wink

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.299695,-118.0711287,14z
strat10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 10:32 AM   #5
Creeker747 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 1 - The Accident

I had a few things I needed to get done the day I was planning to leave. I wanted to leave by a decent hour so I had day light most of the way to 29 Palms. Not too long of a leg, about 300 miles or so.

The day started with the usual Monday morning marketing meeting and reviewing the standard reports. We're planning for a big trade show in January, the International Builders Show, and it requires a fair amount logistics coordination along with campaign launches and such. I would be lying to say, that during most of the meeting my mind wasn't drifting to riding twisties on my bike in California where I grew up.

After the meeting, I set out back home to pack for my ride (one tank bag & a back pack). I was sitting at a stop light in my truck about four cars back, and I heard a loud CRASH! I then saw a truck flying past some cars in front of me. It continued to clip a post of a sign at at gas station's front yard, and a women's head came out of the side window and abrubdly stopped.

Her head was lodged in the front corner of the front passenger's window showing no signs of life. People began running to the scene, and I began dialing 911. I looked at some of the other cars that got hit, then a man came out of his van. His arm was still attached, but very broken and hanging in place with blood coming down his other arm. He was aimlessly walking about in shock.

Three other cars got hit and were all part of the carnage in the front row, They were so turned around, I still don't know how and/or what happened. Meanwhile the women's head began to shake up and down showing some signs of life.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"

Creeker747 screwed with this post 10-26-2014 at 12:55 PM
Old 10-26-2014, 07:25 PM   #6
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,387
Well?

Well, is this it for the ride report?
Old 10-26-2014, 07:54 PM   #7
Creeker747 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by refokus View Post
Well, is this it for the ride report?
Nope, just the beginning of a story of people helping people.......
Old 10-27-2014, 08:16 AM   #8
Creeker747 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I am always amazed how fast people will come to the rescue in an emergency. At the accident people began to come out from everywhere to help with the victims. And hats off to the professionals who deal with these types of situations everyday. I don't know how they can see such horrific scenes and keep their heads straight.

I headed home to pack after this, and I am usually not a very superstitious person, but I couldn't help but think if this isn't some kind of omen about the trip over to California?

Getting the images out of my head was also going to be a challenge. However, what better way to clear the mind than to hit the road.

I got my backpack packed with all the essentials: tooth brush, t-shirt, shorts, and flip/flops. I think if I were to barely have a pot to piss in, and I lost it all, I could actually be very happy with "just the essentials" - another story for another day......

The day's route was pretty simple - Wickenberg to Parker to 29 Palms

Wickenburg is a quiet little town outside of the Phoenix metro area and is known for retirement living, ranching, and the Western lifestyle.

Getting to 29 Palms will essentially involve about 3 turns (I'm exaggerating here), if you can keep your bike going in a straight line, then you too can drive from the Phoenix area to 29 Palms, California.

Once you go through such megalopolis towns of Aguila and Salome, just take a right on Hwy 72 then a left on Hwy 62 and presto!

The roads are dreadfully straight, but it beats the heck out of the I10 to L.A.

Parker is a town that sits right on the Colorado river which divides the states of California and Arizona. This place comes alive in the winters with the Snow Birds coming from the east to get out of the snow, and in the summers with boaters on the river.

After getting gas in Parker, it's pretty much a beeline on Hwy 62 to 29 Palms. This route takes you through the Joshua Tree forest, so it's best to be listening to U2 while riding.

Creeker747 screwed with this post 10-31-2014 at 12:33 PM
Old 10-27-2014, 04:48 PM   #9
Creeker747 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

An hour or so, I was heading dead straight into the sun as it was setting. However, as it was setting, it caused a sea of orange and yellow colors to explode across the desert floor.

Finally arriving in 29 Palms.

Creeker747 screwed with this post 11-10-2014 at 06:01 AM
Old 10-28-2014, 06:57 AM   #10
Creeker747 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 2 - The Breakdown

The day started well, with a gourmet breakfast at the Best Western Motel on the main drag in Twenty Nine Palms. Your typical crowd of passer-byers was at the hotel - tourists, workers, and motorcyclists.

I parked my bike outside of my room so I could have a view of someone stealing it during the night since I was on the second floor. Fortunately, no one seemed to want to steal a 2005 Honda VFR that night. I used the fork lock, but I question what that would really do? Maybe just piss a thief off while they're stealing the bike because they would have to raise the front tire every few feet as they rolled it away.

After getting my gear on, I headed down to get the bike started and warmed up. One push of the magic button, and voila! The red machine comes to life. She purred like a kitten, almost knowing that today would be the day we take on the Angeles Crest Hiway, that starts just outside of Phelan, CA.

Old 10-28-2014, 07:29 AM   #11
Creeker747 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat10 View Post
If your gonna ride Angeles Crest, make sure and hit 9 mile road. The best 9 miles you will ever ride. Its an off shoot of the crest, ask around, you will find it. (upper big tajunga canyon road)
Looks bitch'n! Next time 😜
Old 10-28-2014, 09:40 AM   #12
docwyte
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,076
Looking forward to more posts
Old 10-28-2014, 10:53 AM   #13
Creeker747 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

History about Twenty Nine Palms:

Twentynine Palms was named for the palm trees found there in 1852 by Col. Henry Washington while surveying the San Bernardino base line.[7]

There's a small Indian reservation belonging to the Twentynine Palms Band of Mission Indians. The nearby Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center Twentynine Palms was founded in 1952.

Sadly, since 2007, more Marines from the TwentyNine Palms Marine Base have died back home than in the war-torn middle east due the accidents on such hiways as CA62.

(http://www.desertsun.com/longform/ne...ashes/6697817/
Old 10-29-2014, 08:02 AM   #14
Creeker747 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I started heading out Hwy 62 to Hwy 274 via Lucerne Valley and I was going to go up thru Big Bear up Hwy 18.

From there, I would take Hwy 138 to Hwy CA2 to the 210. And then, it's clear sailing to to Santa Clarita, Santa Paula, Ojai, and finally end up in Santa Barbara.

This should be a piece a cake. Right?

This whole area is very surreal, and brings back memories of LA B to V rides, and a trip I did back in 2007. Some friends and I took a trip via dirt from Tecate Mexico to Canada. Quite the great trip, that was put on by Jerry Counts (http://www.mex2can.com/).

There's this one town called Darwin, California (population 36), and I tell you, it's one spooky place. I did not get a good vibe when we rode through there while en route to Canada.

Did I tell you I'm a little ADD? Sorry, back to the actual RR. So, I finally have got my first set of twisties in front of me going up the hill to Big Bear. It only took 350+ miles to get here!

I love this section of road, I did it back in July with the fam in a car going up to Big Bear to see the fireworks show. If you haven't seen the fireworks show at Big Bear, do it. One of the best shows I've ever seen.

Finally got up to Big Bear, and the views, smells, and colors were fantastic - Life was good!

I was turning off of Hwy38 back onto Hwy18, and came upon a California Hiway Patrol parked in the middle of the road. Not only was he in the middle of the road, but there was a gate going across the road with signage stating that the road was closed until 3pm. Really?

Hmmmm, after looking at the maps, I decided that the best way to continue would be to back track down CA18 to the Lucerne Valley - Uhgggg!!!
Old 10-30-2014, 08:20 AM   #15
adventurebound9517
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
I'm liking your RR, keep it up.
adventurebound9517 is offline   Reply With Quote