Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2010, 10:13 AM   #391
jetpoweredmonkey
Rider of the Lost Empire

Oddometer: 185
Thanks man. As far as I can tell looking at pictures, it should work. Worst case scenario - I will order the tank and racks and post up here if it DOESN'T work!
Old 12-12-2010, 09:21 AM   #392
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 3,779
I'm looking at modifying my KTM racks to gain clear access to the tank for fueling.
Does anybody remember a thread with pics about cutting and relocating the rack back tubes to do that? Something about cutting them off and flipping them left to right side.

I recall there being some issue with the turn signals.

BTW- I did attempt a search in OC. Seems like the search engine has issues since the site upgrade. At least for me.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:20 PM   #393
SocalCPA
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Tank Install Done, almost satisfied

After seeing the pics of other 2007 990 Adventure's with this mod I had to do it. I am tired of constantly wondering where the next fill up will be. I ordered my tank and the 2 in 1 one pipe from Advtank.com and also install the Remus single can. My order was sent with the wrong instructions and short a couple of important parts, so I got part way through and had to let it sit for a few days. I did get my parts by the end of the next week.

Next, after it was complete, I noticed that the gas cap was going to be hard to get too; actually it would not go on with the KTM racks so I had to cut out the back support, hopefully that won't be a problem in the future.
So here it is after the support was cut out

No harm done, after seeing how other racks are made, I don't think I will miss this, and I can have another support welded in a some point.

Today I took it out to see what type of mileage I would get from the tank. The only problem was when I hit the first good rutted out climb and really used the suspension the swingarm hit the mounting bracket. I knew it would be close but under flex (with a full tank) the room I measured was not enough. The tank functioned as promised and I ended up gettin gas at 240 miles, and filled my tanks with 5.11 gallons, and the aux tank with exactly 2 gallons, I think that was about the most I would want to push it. Here are the marks from the swingarm hitting the bracket, I am going to modify this bracket, or the tank is coming off.

SocalCPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:35 AM   #394
CHRIS_D
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 881
Mine was hitting too. I just bent the tank's bracket (by the petcock) out. So far it has seem to clear.

Question about that valve you're using to vent the tank. Have you had the tank in warm weather yet? If so any problems with it?
Old 12-13-2010, 08:02 AM   #395
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 3,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalCPA View Post
After seeing the pics of other 2007 990 Adventure's with this mod I had to do it. I am tired of constantly wondering where the next fill up will be. I ordered my tank and the 2 in 1 one pipe from Advtank.com and also install the Remus single can. My order was sent with the wrong instructions and short a couple of important parts, so I got part way through and had to let it sit for a few days. I did get my parts by the end of the next week.

Next, after it was complete, I noticed that the gas cap was going to be hard to get too; actually it would not go on with the KTM racks so I had to cut out the back support, hopefully that won't be a problem in the future.
Another mate found this link for me on the bracket subject.
It is what I'll be doing.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=605227
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:08 PM   #396
SocalCPA
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2bike View Post
Another mate found this link for me on the bracket subject.
It is what I'll be doing.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=605227

So that's what they were talking about. Oh well. Thanks for finding that.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:14 PM   #397
SocalCPA
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRIS_D View Post
Mine was hitting too. I just bent the tank's bracket (by the petcock) out. So far it has seem to clear.

Question about that valve you're using to vent the tank. Have you had the tank in warm weather yet? If so any problems with it?
Interestingly enough, it was around 90 here this weekend and I rode all day, on off road, some steep and rough. No problem with the motocross type vent, and I didn't like the long rubber hose that came with it.

BUT, one thing I forgot to mention about the 2 to 1, and I can't be positive since I have just done the install and this was my first ride; with the weather being very warm, and riding through stop and go traffic, some slow going off-road, I noticed that gas/vapor was coming from the right side tank.

I am wondering if the 2 to 1 is getting much hotter and heating up the tank back by the frame and the exhaust at the midpipe? Anyone experience this? Could it be an exhaust leak making things hot? Will wrapping with the exhaust wrap I see on race bikes help? Any advice appreciated.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:23 AM   #398
nevermind
sLOW Rider

Oddometer: 2,932
Quote:
BUT, one thing I forgot to mention about the 2 to 1, and I can't be positive since I have just done the install and this was my first ride; with the weather being very warm, and riding through stop and go traffic, some slow going off-road, I noticed that gas/vapor was coming from the right side tank.

I am wondering if the 2 to 1 is getting much hotter and heating up the tank back by the frame and the exhaust at the midpipe? Anyone experience this? Could it be an exhaust leak making things hot? Will wrapping with the exhaust wrap I see on race bikes help? Any advice appreciated.
I ride in temps above 90F quite a bit with the 2-1 setup and never had that issue. In fact, my bike runs a lot cooler with the Wings can I installed with the setup. Are you now running a single stock can? If you are, that could be your issue. My Wings was much lighter and much, much cooler. One other question, did you make sure the vent hoses on the tanks are connected properly? Especially the one across the top?
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:15 AM   #399
CHRIS_D
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 881
Quote:
Interestingly enough, it was around 90 here this weekend and I rode all day, on off road, some steep and rough. No problem with the motocross type vent, and I didn't like the long rubber hose that came with it.

I have read of many problems with wrapping the exhaust. Mainly the pipes rusting out quickly.

To help prevent the gas from boiling I placed self adhesive silver heat sheild on back side of tank by the exhaust. I purchased it from Summit Racing.

I also have an additional fan mounted on radiator which has made a world of difference with the overall cooling of the bike.

Here the thread for the fan:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=465977
Old 12-14-2010, 12:26 PM   #400
stickfigure
Fiendish Fluoridator

Oddometer: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRIS_D View Post
I noticed this rubbing problem and thought to myself "I need to bend that bracket" - unfortunately one big bounce later it caught and ripped the bracket out of the tank. I keep the tank bungeed to my racks now

Make this modification ASAP.

Jeff
Old 12-14-2010, 05:10 PM   #401
mookymoo
Mookish Mook

Oddometer: 4,387
Chaps, it takes 2 seconds to give that bracket a good pull out.
If you drop the bike (on either side), check it, give it a pull for good measure.
mookymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:31 PM   #402
SocalCPA
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermind View Post
I ride in temps above 90F quite a bit with the 2-1 setup and never had that issue. In fact, my bike runs a lot cooler with the Wings can I installed with the setup. Are you now running a single stock can? If you are, that could be your issue. My Wings was much lighter and much, much cooler. One other question, did you make sure the vent hoses on the tanks are connected properly? Especially the one across the top?
I would second the fact that my bike is running cooler, by a bar or so at most times, even in the heat this weekend. I am running the Remus single. Vents should be good, had a good look at things while upgrading the springs too.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:34 PM   #403
SocalCPA
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickfigure View Post
I noticed this rubbing problem and thought to myself "I need to bend that bracket" - unfortunately one big bounce later it caught and ripped the bracket out of the tank. I keep the tank bungeed to my racks now

Make this modification ASAP.

Jeff
I think I got lucky, once I realized what the clanking was, I stopped to see the marks, then had to ride like a sissy the rest of the day.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:18 PM   #404
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by mookymoo View Post
Chaps, it takes 2 seconds to give that bracket a good pull out.
If you drop the bike (on either side), check it, give it a pull for good measure.
MookyMoo is correct, this is also stated in the instructions. We didn't have much room to work with in there, but you should have a good half inch of clearance to the swingarm.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:21 PM   #405
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,852
When I started Adventure Tank, it was for a very simple and selfish reason- I wanted more fuel range for my SE, and did not care for the only available option. I took a risk on making a mold for the tank, because I thought that aluminum is the wrong material to make a tank from and you can't make a single plastic tank, and I crossed my fingers and toes that I wasn't going to wind up with the world's most expensive extra 100 miles of fuel.

The project turned out to be much more involved than I first imagined, but also much more fun. Hearing from people about how they loved the tank and 2 into 1, seeing pictures of my creations all over the world, and even coming out ahead on the project were all high points.

People started asking for tanks for other models, and I realized that I didn't have the time to get them done. I was at a crossroads, and when my longtime riding friend Scott Bright (FORE! on this site) asked if he could help take the next step, I knew it was time. So, I sold Adventure Tank to Scott, and now I'm excited to see where it goes. I'm helping him with some aspects of developing new products (so that the lessons I learned the hard way don't go to waste!) and in the near future, he'll be announcing a tank for the F800GS, as well as for the 2008-up KTM dirtbikes. No timing yet on either of those, but they are in the works.

Scott has been in the motorcycle business for a long time, and I've seen first hand that he knows his stuff and treats people right. I'm really excited to see where the business goes. If you have any questions, you can PM Scott, reach him via email at Scott@advtank.com, or even call him at (888) 403-2170.

And above all, thanks for making it a fun ride. Nothing is more rewarding than hearing from folks about the places they've gone with something you made, and that is the part of this I'll miss the most.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote