Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2010, 02:36 PM   #406
FORE!
pretender

Oddometer: 46
This is where I chime in. I've handled the logistics on the previous run of tanks and I'm confortable leading AdvTank.com into the future with some COOL new products, as well as support for items already on customer's bikes.
A little bit about me - I used to work for KTM for a 4 year stint, so I know the in's and out's of how that company works and thinks. I raced the ISDE in Slovakia 05 and Chile 07. I've been riding with Ned for about 8 years now racing and exploring. Dawn to Dusk this past Spring was an absolute HOOT, and I'm planning on being a regular on that ride. A couple weeks ago I got to ride with a bunch of guys on this forum outside of Pahrumph, which was a stellar trip. And I'm jealous of those of you who get to Rally on continents I've only read about, but someday.......
If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to PM me as I am on ADVrider.net daily.

Scott
FORE! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:25 PM   #407
SocalCPA
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
MookyMoo is correct, this is also stated in the instructions. We didn't have much room to work with in there, but you should have a good half inch of clearance to the swingarm.
Look, I am not complaining about the product, I think it is a great idea and it got me up to 240 miles. I am just sharing my install experience, and if bending is my last resort then I will do it, but I didn't want to damage the threaded inserts. I think that the $1000 I spent on this mod gives me the right to ask some questions, like "why is my gas tank boiling?", that was not in the instructions.

Anyway, this is my bracket mod:

SocalCPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:05 PM   #408
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by FORE! View Post
This is where I chime in. I've handled the logistics on the previous run of tanks and I'm comfortable leading AdvTank.com into the future with some COOL new products, as well as support for items already on customer's bikes.
Scott
Scott, I wish AdvTank a bright future and look forward to new products.
Thanks Ned for getting it going with an awesome tank!

Now, Scott while you are considering other than LC8's for side tanks, you may want to consider the EFI Yamaha WR250R. That little beastie is a true plated dual sport and is wildly poplular (like this 1200+ page thread) . It does need more fuel range because people put 10's of thousands of miles on them on and offroad and they are ultra reliable and very low maintence. I have a selfish reason because I own one and I already have an AdvTank on my 990S
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:39 PM   #409
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalCPA View Post
After seeing the pics of other 2007 990 Adventure's with this mod I had to do it. I am tired of constantly wondering where the next fill up will be. I ordered my tank and the 2 in 1 one pipe from Advtank.com and also install the Remus single can. My order was sent with the wrong instructions and short a couple of important parts, so I got part way through and had to let it sit for a few days. I did get my parts by the end of the next week.

Next, after it was complete, I noticed that the gas cap was going to be hard to get too; actually it would not go on with the KTM racks so I had to cut out the back support, hopefully that won't be a problem in the future.

I didn't have a cap clearance problem on my '07 990S with OEM KTM racks, but the plastic cap after quite a bit of use got harder to seal tightly and the rubber gasket would often pop out whenever I took the cap off.

I tried a metal gas cap on it and it works very well.

I had the little vent valve you show on your tank on another dirtbike and it leaks gas when the bike is on it's side in a tumble. I didn't like that. On the 990 I have the standard few loops of vent hose under my top rack plate, then down the rear fender. I installed a small inline sintered fuel filter midway to keep dust or muddy water from getting into the tank via the vent line. I have unfortunately had my 990 almost upside down several times in the Nevada desert, and it has been on it's side for extended periods in my garage and the AdvTank never leaked a drop of fuel and never has a venting problem.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 02:04 AM   #410
CHRIS_D
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Cyborg,

Thanks for the link to the gas cap. I just purchased one.

I too am having the same issues with my plastic cap and hope this will fix it.

One of these days I also need to address the cap/rack clearance issue. Mine is real pain to get on but is still do able. Boy, I really need to learn how to weld.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:54 PM   #411
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,479
2:1 exhaust fitment

I bought the 2:1 and advtank for my 950 last summer. I started on the 2:1, ran into some issues about how the previous owner had mounted the FMFs. Other things came along and the install got put off till now.

I've seen it suggested here that you may need to bend the mounting tabs on the 2:1. I put my McGuyver hat on and it actually seems that the mounting tabs on the 2:1 are just not long enough or the bend on the pipe itself isn't correct. Frustrating as I wanted to be done with the exhaust and tank today so I could move onto the valve adjust tomorrow.

If I let the header fully line up with the silencer the mounting bracket is a fair ways off:

I dug out the OEM boat anchors/mounts, same:

If I tighten up the mounting bracket, the fit to the cannister isn't that good.

Is this good enough? There is an air gap at the top, bottom is in as far as it will go.

crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 05:36 PM   #412
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
If I tighten up the mounting bracket, the fit to the cannister isn't that good.

Is this good enough? There is an air gap at the top, bottom is in as far as it will go.
I guess it is good enough, don't see or smell an exhaust leak. Got some water dripping from the joint when the bike was first started (not been started in a while). Should I put a little hi-temp exhaust sealer on the join?

Bike sounds very throaty with the single Ti Q2
Old 02-20-2011, 04:59 AM   #413
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,769
Quote:
I guess it is good enough, don't see or smell an exhaust leak. Got some water dripping from the joint when the bike was first started (not been started in a while). Should I put a little hi-temp exhaust sealer on the join?

Bike sounds very throaty with the single Ti Q2
I think you'll find that if you rotate the rear of the pipe out and down (so, looking forward from behind the bike, the pipe would rotate clockwise) the angle issue you're looking at will disappear. This will require bending the little tabs a bit. I believe those tabs pull in when they are welded, but who knows for sure?

Sealant is never a bad idea IMO.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:11 AM   #414
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I think you'll find that if you rotate the rear of the pipe out and down (so, looking forward from behind the bike, the pipe would rotate clockwise) the angle issue you're looking at will disappear. This will require bending the little tabs a bit. I believe those tabs pull in when they are welded, but who knows for sure?
Hmmn, I looked at the pipe a lot and wasn't really seeing how bending the tabs would make the 2:1 go downwards, outwards yes. Maybe I'm wrong?? Has any other buyer solved a fitment issue like mine via bending?

So I would bend the tabs out towards the left side of the bike. What is the best way to do this? Off bike? I tried to pull on the pipe (moving it to the right) with it mounted but it wasn't budging. Didn't want to use a pry-bar/leverage against the pipe itself.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:34 PM   #415
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Got the tank installed. Question. Have these left over parts

There is a similar bracket just rounded end which was included for the front tank mount plus spacer. Different size to this spacer.

Also, and I'm sure this is going to get me into trouble The instructions are not so great. They get the job done but they could be a lot better. There are some gems in there. "3) cut stock crossover line", okay makes sense. "2) Cut short piece of stock fuel line (approx 3-3.5")". I spent a while musing on why I'd want to cut 3" off the fuel line on the bike and where I should cut it from before I assumed it meant "cut 3 inches from supplied fuel line". Also, it would be a lot clearer if the terms used for the supplied parts were a) consistent b) matched the terms used in the "Contents". The way the info is presented, order of diagrams vs text etc and other stuff meant (at least for me) that I had to re-read it all way more times than I should have.

Also, some better pics of the fuel line routing would be useful as not getting this correct could be bad. I'm not sure on the best routing around the chain roller/knock-down bar area, where to zip tie etc. Anyone have a pic they can post? Before and after this I mostly figured out from the pics.

Old 02-20-2011, 02:35 PM   #416
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,769
Quote:
Got the tank installed. Question. Have these left over parts

There is a similar bracket just rounded end which was included for the front tank mount plus spacer. Different size to this spacer.

That's an important one!

The clipped end piece goes inside the crossover pipe hanger- the tank should be clamped securely between two brackets, not just the one on the outside.

The spacer may be spare. Many folks put the 2 into 1 on long before they put on the tank, and lose the stock insert for the crossover hanger. If it's an 8mm ID, we include it in case you have lost the original part that went into the rubber on your forward mount.

Smugmug won't respond this second for me, so I'm going to try attaching an image here...
Attached Images

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:50 PM   #417
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
That's an important one!

The clipped end piece goes inside the crossover pipe hanger- the tank should be clamped securely between two brackets, not just the one on the outside.
I would have to say that this wasn't obvious, but thanks.

Quote:
The spacer may be spare. Many folks put the 2 into 1 on long before they put on the tank, and lose the stock insert for the crossover hanger. If it's an 8mm ID, we include it in case you have lost the original part that went into the rubber on your forward mount.
It's 6mm. There is one 8mm in the kit, I assumed that went through the front hole in the tank.

Any suggestions on the hose routing? Not sure on the area around the chain roller.

Also, assume blue loctite is not a good idea on the upper/rear mounting bolt? Worried it'll be hard to remove as the insert has no notch on the rear to hold so it'll just spin.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:08 AM   #418
briv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
@ Crazybrit I see you have in line fuel filter there. Does that help with keeping the inside tank filter clean ?
Thanks
Attached Images

Old 04-16-2011, 05:53 PM   #419
FORE!
pretender

Oddometer: 46
Guys,

We sold out of our last run of tanks. We currently have the next run in production and they should be ready around July 1.

HOWEVER, my manufacturer told me that he has 8 tanks from the previous run that he can get to me within 3 weeks.

SOOOOO, I will open a PRE-ORDER on advtank.com for those 8 tanks. There will be a $50 deposit and an additional $25 discount on each pre-ordered tank. I guarantee the tank will ship to you by May 15 or I will throw in free shipping OR refund your deposit. The PRE-ORDER period will end 4/30 or when I've taken pre-orders for all 8 tanks.

Additionally, we have 2 into 1 exhaust systems and Leo Vince mufflers in stock and ready to ship right now.

If you have any questions, please PM me.

Thanks,

Scott
AdvTank
FORE! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:38 PM   #420
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2bike View Post
Another mate found this link for me on the bracket subject.
It is what I'll be doing.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=605227
How did this work out for you dad2bike? I posted on the above thread as I was curious if there wasn't a different approach.

I don't really like the idea of blocking the turn signals but it's not totally clear from the pics how badly blocked they are.

If anyone's done it a different way perhaps you could comment on the above thread. Thanks very much!