Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2008, 11:01 AM   #61
tahoeacr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro
No, but you're right, I should have. I was fighting a surly service manager who wanted $89/run and wasn't going to push my luck.

Honestly, though, I think it's fairly irrelevant. The 2 into 1 clearly has some advantage in low end torque, with no substantial tradeoffs. Most people I know (myself included) were satisfied with the power of the bike stock, this is at least as good and saves a ton of weight.

The upcoming test will be interesting: The 990 has been run full stock (stock cans, etc) and will be run with the 2 into 1 and remus. I should have the part tomorrow and will do the second run on Wednesday.
Holy crap!! Your getting robbed. I get two dozen runs for $150.00. That's why I do so much dyno work. Going there right now.
tahoeacr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 10:28 AM   #62
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,842
Preorders ready to go!

OK, we've approved the first article for the SE and are about 3 weeks out from shipping 2 into 1's.

The ADV first article should be here today, and will be tested on Monday. It is so similar to the SE that I'm confident the dyno performance will be about the same, and production should be about a week behind the SE. We'll take preorders for this, too, if your opinion changes after photos and dyno curves are posted, we're happy to cancel your order.

So, we're ready to start taking pre-orders. If you want one from the first batch, preorder and it will ship to you the minute they hit our door. Your card will be authorized but not charged for the preorder.

Here is the information/ order page at Black Dog:

http://www.blackdogcw.com/2into1_exhaust.html

As an incentive, all pre-order customers will get 10% off the tank when that is ready to go: we cannot yet commit to a ship date so we aren't ready for preorders, but the prototype of that should be here next Tuesday, and we've zeroed in on a vendor.

I will send a PM to everyone that's inquired as well.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.

neduro screwed with this post 05-14-2008 at 12:27 PM
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 11:12 AM   #63
simonpig
packin' heat

Oddometer: 1,063
Talking

Hey Ned, Are the Remus Spark arrested? I think they are, but wanted to double check. Will be placing order soon. Thanks for all your efforts.
simonpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 01:01 PM   #64
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer: 18,323
Laugh

Placed my order
unaweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 01:56 PM   #65
Chipper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 705
Akra ?

Ned, Will it work using one akra can? Don't know if both are the same. Are the remus spark arrestor's forestry approved?
Chipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 05:32 PM   #66
Desert Yeti
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Order in, Anyone need my other Akra :)

05 KTM 300 MXC
07 KTM 950 SE-R
Desert Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 08:58 PM   #67
DakarNick
Swabee

Oddometer: 6,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Yeti
Order in, Anyone need my other Akra :)
PM me with price, if you would?
DakarNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:09 PM   #68
neduro OP
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipper
Ned, Will it work using one akra can? Don't know if both are the same. Are the remus spark arrestor's forestry approved?
Yes, it will work with either Akra.

For cans with straps (like the Akrapovic) you'll be able to use either side on the right. For cans with integrated mounts (like Neptune) you'll have to store the left side for, well, I don't know when.

Kurt is the authority on Remus products, but mine is not stamped as USFS approved, but does appear to have a screen in the body, in addition to the removable baffle. I will say it's a very nice tone, the Neptune is a bit loud with the baffle out and a bit muted with it in, the Remus seems to be a nice balance.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:24 AM   #69
Chipper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 705
Order placed!

Thanks Ned, Just placed my order. Can't wait for the tanks. I've got another akra as well, pm me.

Chipper screwed with this post 05-15-2008 at 10:05 AM
Chipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:37 AM   #70
kirkmoon
Making up for lost youth

Oddometer: 8,909
Order placed. Looking forward to the tank. Thanks.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:58 AM   #71
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro
Kurt is the authority on Remus products, but mine is not stamped as USFS approved, but does appear to have a screen in the body, in addition to the removable baffle.

So is it legal to use on USFS land?

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 03:10 AM   #72
Keltic Kiwi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Talking Another Advantage you could mention...

Now that the pipe doesn't reach around the rear shock to feed the left side muffler, the rear shock will run cooler.Which means ...well you know.

questions though. And I'm not trying to be a smart ar$e.

1.The modification means the pipe joins at an oblique angle. What (if anything) does this mean in terms of it's tuned length?

To go some way in answering my own question,I know this happens after the h-pipe, and your dyno readings don't show a problem.(edit. the picture on the website doesn't have the h-pipe but the one at the start of the thread does)

2. Was there a temptation the run a larger dia. pipe after the join to allow greater flow?
you might pick up some of those lost top end ponies, as the joint has 950cc' of volume thru 475cc of pipe, if you know what I mean.

And once again to answer my own question, it's tidy, and with the same dia. pipe the standard can fits.

Just Thinkin'

Keltic Kiwi screwed with this post 05-17-2008 at 03:36 AM
Keltic Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 12:28 PM   #73
simonpig
packin' heat

Oddometer: 1,063
2-into- rendering with single pipe + tank... Staring into the crystal ball.

simonpig screwed with this post 12-12-2010 at 07:38 AM
simonpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 07:35 PM   #74
greenfreak
user

Oddometer: 48
Ned you are the man; Instructional courses, Instructional videos, baja races on the 950, and now this... To say my interest is piqued would be an understatement.

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards...
greenfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:09 AM   #75
neduro OP
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltic Kiwi
Now that the pipe doesn't reach around the rear shock to feed the left side muffler, the rear shock will run cooler.Which means ...well you know.
Good point! Not insubstantial, either, for those who ride offroad, anything that can be done to help that shock lessen heat is meaningful. We melted the stickers on the Baja shock.

Quote:
1.The modification means the pipe joins at an oblique angle. What (if anything) does this mean in terms of it's tuned length?

To go some way in answering my own question,I know this happens after the h-pipe, and your dyno readings don't show a problem.(edit. the picture on the website doesn't have the h-pipe but the one at the start of the thread does)
The early photo is a cut up stock pipe, the most recent is the production piece. We cut out the "H" crossover because the engineer I worked with thought it would muddle flow, and it was a PITA to manufacture as well. When the bike ran great with that setup, we decided to leave well enough alone.

Quote:
Was there a temptation the run a larger dia. pipe after the join to allow greater flow? you might pick up some of those lost top end ponies, as the joint has 950cc' of volume thru 475cc of pipe, if you know what I mean.

And once again to answer my own question, it's tidy, and with the same dia. pipe the standard can fits.
Honestly, I didn't think it would work as well as it did. I started with stock diameter for the reasons you mention, and when it turned out to perform so well, realized everyone could keep their stock silencers and that is a huge advantage.

There are no lost top end ponies- obviously the shape of the curve is a bit different, but the peak number is 3 hp higher.