User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2008, 10:39 AM   #16
Dude
super-retard

Oddometer: 70
DR is the way to go

The DR650 comes from the factory with a fork and shock carrier that can be inverted and a lowers the bike almost 2". I am 5'7" and never had trouble with the stock setting but when I lowered it...it was even better. The DR is also a great all around bike and can be had for good prices (I don't know about 2000$, but 3000$ for sure for a good one). The Honda XR650 can be kinda tall for two up riding for shorter folk. My time on the KLR is limited but I would recomend the DR over it for many reasons.
Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 11:12 AM   #17
Huskyfatman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietfighting
im going to look at a honda xr650l to check out the seat height.

its a 95' with 17430 miles. tires at 70% and new rear sprocket

he wants $1,950.

what would be a good price?

my search continues

i am also looking for the suzuki dr650es, but all ive found is a 93' with 1800 miles and it is kickstart which can be a pain apparently.

any chance on finding a decent 96' for around $2000.

thanks for the help
That sounds pretty steep. http://www.nada.com/ Like someone posted ealier, check out a DR350s. They had electric start on '94 and up and would be a good choice to start with.

"So I think the WR250R is a primo dual sport, especially for trout bums"-Jäger
Huskyfatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 01:25 PM   #18
dr.shift
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Suzuki DR650 is the best for us short guys.

I'm only 5,4 and this is the bike I ride you can get a lower gel seat from the dealer and you can adjust the rear shock height really easy.
dr.shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 01:35 PM   #19
truck6driver
The Fireman

Oddometer: 7,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewerj
truck6driver, the klr has a 17" wheel . . . still doesn't lower as easy as a dr650.
My bad! I have not looked the KLR rear that close. I was told that it was one by a salesman at the dealership. He was most likley just trying to sell me the bike and did not know himself. I have now been schooled and learnded .

RH
truck6driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 04:21 AM   #20
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,838
F-bike

You might consider an F-650. A bit pricier used that KLR or DR or XR, but also lower in stock form than any of the others (except for the Dakar).

Its lower stock seat height has made this bike popular with women riders who, on average, are shorter than men. I think the range of seat height is from around 30" (with "low" scalloped seat) to about 34 for the Dakar model.

The bike's 50 hp is more than plenty to pull 300 pounds two up and it will be marginally more comfy at cruising speed than the other bikes mentioned. The Rotax powerplant is known as a bulletproof reliable engine.

I have owned a KLR (07) and now have an 03 Dakar on which I have put over 21K miles during the past year. I much prefer the BMW for both street and off-road. For a good low mileage F-bike you'll pay around what a new KLR or DR would run - in the $5K range.

Good Luck!
GSBS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:32 AM   #21
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,444
DR650 all the way.

It's fairly low and easily lowers even more (suspension AND seat). It generally has better build quality than the KLR650 (brakes, fasteners, balancer, etc), and is lighter than the KLR or F650. Resprung and jetted, it'll handle 300lb better than most smaller Jap D/S bikes. You could find a '96-up in decent shape for $2K, and it may even already have a few farkles. Parts are widely available and inexpensive. Service centers are all over the USA. With the minimal maintenance required, it's a darn reliable bike. It'll go down just about any road or trail fine, it just won't generally do it as fast as a sportbike or an enduro racebike.

Some of the other bikes mentioned are gonna be tall for smaller people balancing a pillion and gear, heavy for smaller people to handle in the dirt, weak for hauling a pillion with gear on highways, or expensive to repair if something gets damaged.

I don't consider things like the seat or tank to be a problem. Aftermarket upgrades for things like this are not super expensive for the DR650.

Just peruse the forum here and at www.thumpertalk.com, before purchasing, to find the wisest upgrades you'd want, so as to avoid any potential issues.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:39 AM   #22
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,647
TW200 or XT225 but hard to find a decent one for 2k. Start out small and move up later if necessary.
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 10:45 AM   #23
mudgepondexpress
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,136
What is your hauling vehicle? How much experience do you have? Do you have any experience with a passanger? How far to you expect to venture on a ride?

These will dictate what you purchase along with your budget. Don't let ego rule the day, make a good decision and you will be happier.

I am not a big guy (5'8") but I have owned and riden everything from an XR75 to a big bore 2 stroke motocrosser in the dirt, and from small DT's on the street to my FJ1100. If you are hauling a passenger and are not a really good rider (balance), you need to have a good footing when the passenger is loading, tippy toes will not cut it! I don't think age of the bike is as big of an issue as is the condition it is in. I have full faith in my wife's 78 DT250 to take me anywhere, no matter the miles, but it is in very good shape even though it is old. I have seen late 90's bikes that are thrashed to a point I wouldn't trust them to the end of the block.

Find what fits and feels good, brand and size be danged! You can always sell it later and upgrade. At your price level if you keep the bike maintained it will return most of you money.

XT225 would be fine, no rocket, but fun. Big XL/DR/KLX would work also but if you have to fight the size all the time it takes the fun out of riding (try horsing a well built YZ490 on tight trails when you buddy's ride XR250's).

My 2 cents
Kenny
mudgepondexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 08:32 AM   #24
Elvirarider
n00b

Oddometer: 3
XL650L lowering kit-bars-power upgrades.

Everyone talks about their upgrades, but I would like to know the best places to get these parts, especially a lowering kit.
Elvirarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 08:42 AM   #25
hppyfngy
not dead yet

Oddometer: 4,046
Look for a decent DR. Much friendlier for shorter riders, and you don't want to drop your missus...

Don't get a 200-250 class. Just not enough for two up to be fun or comfortable, even if you are small.

E-Start! Forget those guys who say you'll be fine with a kick. You'll be sick of it in no time...

DR.

'13 KLR650 ~ For Sale!
hppyfngy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:41 AM   #26
MillCreek
ADV Risk Manager

Oddometer: 1,706
I am 5'10" with a 32" 'bicycling inseam' (32 inches measured barefoot from the floor to my pubic bone). I was on a new 2009 DR650se and could get the balls of both feet on the ground. If I get one, I will go with the lowering kit. This is because for use as an urban commuter in our hilly wet terrain, sometimes you need all the stability when stopped that you can get. The lowering kit would allow me to just about flatfoot it, as I can on a XT 250, which runs a little more than an inch lower than a lowered DR650se. I would also try the stock gel seat since the original seat was about as hard as a rock.

PS: I would add that in this area, you simply cannot find a decent used or new last year's model DR at a dealer or private party sale. I have been scouring Craigslist, Cycletrader, EBay and the local ad listings for weeks to no avail. You can on occasion see high-mileage or beat up models on Craigslist. I figure that in this area, everyone who buys a DR must just love it, because they certainly don't seem to sell or trade them in. I am a big believer in allowing someone else to pay for the depreciation in riding a new bike off the lot, and it just kills me that I may be that person for this purchase!
2012 Suzuki DL650A as the current bike
Whole bunch of bikes in the past
MillCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:32 PM   #27
frank14
Banned

Oddometer: 6
For sure the DR650, the KLR's are made for giants.
frank14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 03:04 PM   #28
J-Ball
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
+1 for the XT350 or DR350. Everything you need and noting more. Power? Should be plenty for all but the steepest long hills at high speeds. Downshift and punch it, you'll be fine. Definitly a good bike for us short leggers.
J-Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:20 AM   #29
spidennis
SandStorm Adventures

Oddometer: 1,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.shift
I'm only 5,4 and this is the bike I ride you can get a lower gel seat from the dealer and you can adjust the rear shock height really easy.
+1 here!
I'm 5'3" with a 28" inseam ....
a buddy has a DR650 with the factory gel seat,
and I can touch the ground with both feet !!!

..... and so this bike in on my list as well .......
List of my Spot Tracker Adventures:
http://www.spotadventures.com/user/p...?user_id=53368
spidennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:25 AM   #30
spidennis
SandStorm Adventures

Oddometer: 1,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by hppyfngy
Look for a decent DR. Much friendlier for shorter riders, and you don't want to drop your missus...

Don't get a 200-250 class. Just not enough for two up to be fun or comfortable, even if you are small.

E-Start! Forget those guys who say you'll be fine with a kick. You'll be sick of it in no time...

DR.
I had the first 90' model and what a pain that was to kick over as a shorter guy. You have to use the kick stand, and that's ok on a straight and level road service but when does that ever happen? Seemed like never! I got the DR350 next with a happy button, but missed the power of the 650.
List of my Spot Tracker Adventures:
http://www.spotadventures.com/user/p...?user_id=53368
spidennis is offline   Reply With Quote