Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2009, 01:47 PM   #1561
ChrisC
Molon Labe

Oddometer: 6,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad
Looks like a first version Bell Star. Unusual choice for desert rider in those times...
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:53 PM   #1562
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC
Looks like a first version Bell Star. Unusual choice for desert rider in those times...
Actually, it was the second version, but still it was unique for the dez. The first version didn't have a flip up visor. Remember that the Bell Star was the first to have "tear offs" for their visors and that was one of my reasons for using it. The biggest problem was dust on the inside of the visor. You could easily wipe the front but it was much more difficult to flip it up and wipe the inside. Seemed like I rode a bunch with the visor flipped up like in the pic.

Here's another pic that I've posted before of the 1970 Barstow to Vegas and me on a 125cc Yamaha AT1 MX with the same Bell Star. It was my last race on the little 125, just before I stepped up to the 400cc Husky. Look at all of the dust on the inside of the visor!

Old 03-12-2009, 05:54 AM   #1563
ChopSuey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
^ What happened to your front fender in the second picture SB? Was that a home made skid plate or was somebody making them for sale? I was also looking at the gravel and hard pack and your lack of much protection and thinking that's got to hurt if you crash and burn!! Which then made me wonder when they started making off road specific protection (chest protectors/roost guards, knee and elbow guards, hand guards for the bike, etc.). And my most beloved piece of equipment, a Camelbak - what in the heck did guys do to stay hydrated out in the desert or mountains trailriding?

Oh, and me and my husband are going to the Mid Ohio Vintage Days this year; booked our room earlier this week!
ChopSuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:27 AM   #1564
ChrisC
Molon Labe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopSuey
^ What happened to your front fender in the second picture SB? Was that a home made skid plate or was somebody making them for sale? I was also looking at the gravel and hard pack and your lack of much protection and thinking that's got to hurt if you crash and burn!! Which then made me wonder when they started making off road specific protection (chest protectors/roost guards, knee and elbow guards, hand guards for the bike, etc.). And my most beloved piece of equipment, a Camelbak - what in the heck did guys do to stay hydrated out in the desert or mountains trailriding?

Oh, and me and my husband are going to the Mid Ohio Vintage Days this year; booked our room earlier this week!
Front fenders were optional, but he's got his fork brace. And skid plates were often home made. As far as the lack of ATGATT, bare arms were the order of the day, as was road rash. I used to use basketball elbow protectors which were just slightly better than nothing. Some guys carried old army canteens for hydration, some waited 'til they got back to the beer cooler...
Old 03-12-2009, 08:44 AM   #1565
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopSuey

The OEM fender was a low mounted for an 18inch wheel, I used a 21inch wheel so it wouldn't fit and besides most guys in the desert back then didn't use fenders at all. Also many of the stock fenders were steel and heavy. Even the Husky in the pic had aluminum fenders. Preston Petty was just in the process of developing his first plastic "unbreakable" fenders at that time.

Yes, it was a sid plate I made in high school metal shop! The fork brace was a WEBCO product and it kept that noodle of a fork fairly straight.

It was before all of the protection was availabe, the first chest protectors were used by the European MX guys and that was all Hocky stuff. Jaffra (sp?). They were used mostly for "roost" protection from rocks thrown by a bike in front of you not for crash protection. Most of the protection was in the form of leathers, like the Torsten Hallman goat skin pants I'm wearing in teh pics. Some desert guys used to wear a set of leather sleeves like welders use, I think Webco or Bates sold motorcycle specific leather sleeves. I didn't like the leather sleeves as they were hot. I've got lots of scars on my arms to prove I didn't need anything, Ha Ha!

Hydration Ha! We didn't need no steenken hydration! Usually all you got was a couple of gulps of water at the pit and that was it! I have no idea how we did without the hydrations systems they have today.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:28 AM   #1566
Motoduc1
backtrackvideo.com

Oddometer: 918
Quote:
I have no idea how we did without the hydrations systems they have today.
Because that was a day when men were MEN! That's how you did it!
Motoduc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:03 AM   #1567
MotoMike
Washed Up Desert Racer

Oddometer: 4,919
I only rode a couple of races in the the '70's, 1977 to be specific. I was on a DT1, wore lineman boots and levi's, and a sweatshirt. I had a plug wrench in my boot and spark plugs in my pocket. I don't think I even carried any water with me.

By the time I started racing regularly in the 80's they had specific riding gear but no camelbacks. I just used to carry and old army canteen or later, fanny packs had water bottles on them. You only used them in an emergency. If you stopped to drink, you were losing time!

I know I spelled Metralla wrong, just to lazy to fix it, that is until I got called on it
Old 03-12-2009, 10:04 AM   #1568
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoduc1
Because that was a day when men were MEN! That's how you did it!
Well teenagers must have been men too, because I was 18 at the time LOL!!! And as i grew older, I must have grown into a little girl because I can't ride out of camp without my camel back!
Old 03-12-2009, 12:42 PM   #1569
ChrisC
Molon Labe

Quote:
Jaffra (sp?).
Jofa:

Old 03-13-2009, 11:01 AM   #1570
earthroamer
Stuck in Pindadesh

Oddometer: 2,045
Quote:
Hydration Ha! We didn't need no steenken hydration! Usually all you got was a couple of gulps of water at the pit and that was it! I have no idea how we did without the hydrations systems they have today.
Got me thinking, I remember a 250 race in Baja (1971), took me about 4-5 hrs, I didn't stop for the whole race. I don't remember drinking anything.

Lineman boots, jeans and sweatshirt, yeah.
earthroamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:01 PM   #1571
richarddacat
helmet full of Blues

Oddometer: 3,117
wasn't it the case of beer that re-hydrated us after the race?
IF Eric Clapton was God, Joe Bonamassa would be his Son.
richarddacat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:37 PM   #1572
Valleyrider
I Survived The '60s

Oddometer: 1,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by richarddacat
wasn't it the case of beer that re-hydrated us after the race?
..... And sometimes on the way to the races... The looser I got, the faster I rode.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48000856@N06/
Valleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 08:35 AM   #1573
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,326
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 11:37 AM   #1574
crtahoe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
I remember that race well. We went down for the weekend and camped at San Onofre state beach body surfed on Saturday and went to the race on Sunday. We tried and were usually successful in sneaking in the pits and gettings some pics and autographs. Those days were great we were just a bunch of 125 jrs. looking for cool ideas and making our way through the local races and to see these guys was magic, Mikkola was one of my hero's. What a great time. A couple of years ago I was back in Carlsbad for some work and made a point to go out to the track which back in the day was in the middle of nowhere, it was paved and office parked all the way and only a portion of the track still there. Sad, but great memories.
crtahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 05:19 PM   #1575
stinkweed
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Great Thread

Just wanted to say thanks to all that have contributed to this thread. Great information....Thanks
stinkweed is offline   Reply With Quote