Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2008, 10:23 PM   #151
Sal Paradise
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerslayR

"We Don't Care How The Hell They Do It In California"

Had a lot of ignorant fun in the day. Glad I survived.

Reminds me of a John Lydon (Sex Pistols Johnny Rotten) quote, "I don't give a fuck what you think, I know what I think and thats what matters to me."

Raoul Duke: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Sal Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 12:50 PM   #152
Lil Earle
Sweatin, not scared

Oddometer: 105
I remember running in the under 16 class. It was a class of kids too old to race mini bikes and too young to be turned loose with the big guys. I had a 1973 Yamaha LT3 MX. We had a Suzuki dealer in town who had a son about my age. He always had the best suzki available to him. I raced him in the mini bikes for aout two years. He had one of those Bonanza mini bikes with the Hodaka engine on it. I had a Yamaha Mini Enduro that my dad had put a 80cc top end on and had done some porting work to it. On a smooth track I couldn't get him but throw in some bumps and I had him. I was 15 and lined up with my new 100 mx. I looked to my left and there he was on a TM400 one of those yellow ones. They shot the rubberband and he led all the way to the first corner. As I rounded the first corner you could see where he went off into the woods. I never saw him again until I was on my way to second heat. He was standing there crying and his dad was holding the bike yelling at him. He didn't run in the second heat. That was the last time I raced him. I turned sixteen and went into the 125 class. He went on to the 250's
Old 01-27-2008, 08:36 PM   #153
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleyrider
The photos I have attached are of me in 1972 on a used (Rich Thorwaldson's practice bike) '71 TM400R at El Mirage Dry Lake. Both Rich and John DeSoto did well on these in competition at the time.
Not trying to "Flame" you, just stating that the "Evil" aspect of the bike was overblown.

Oh yeah, I was 23 when they came out.
your input to this thread is invaluable. it really is a window into a very special time (1970ish give and take a few) and place (California).

great stuff. I'm sure you know, Thorwaldson died road racing a few years back. I remarked at the time that checking out at his age (63?) while racing and obviously never stopped racing, wasn't all that bad of a deal considering how many people for so many reasons have to throw in the towel so much earlier. but it still sucks.

I met John Desoto at Mid Ohio VintageDays MX this past summer. He was really great and really appreciated that people were interested in him. He was like you knew him your whole life he was so cool about it.

I have in a scrap book when I used to cut magazines up another Suzuki ad with John DeSoto and his brother(?) posing and wheelieing away from a starting line on TM400's.

you catch it at the right angle the 71 has some pretty sweet lines.

nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 08:44 PM   #154
nachtflug
infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittycactus
Sort of off topic, but I've seen so many pictures posted here of riders with lace up work boots, steel toed I'm guessing. When did riding boots start appearing? Also interesting to see the changes in the helmet.
I'm not a big fan of the AMA but the Motocross America exhibit at the HQ in Ohio which if it hasn't ended is ending very soon, is stunning. Top shelf. Could not have been better. The book is worth whatever you pay for it. $40?

Old 01-27-2008, 08:47 PM   #155
nachtflug
infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug
I'm not a big fan of the AMA but the Motocross America exhibit at the HQ in Ohio which if it hasn't ended is ending very soon, is stunning.
Brad Lackeys World Champ Suzuki with Simons forks.

Old 01-27-2008, 08:52 PM   #156
nachtflug
infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad
There were also companies who took bikes like Hodakas and made upgrades/modifications like pipe, forks, and air cleaners and then sold them as a Steen’s Hodaka or Eddie Crowl Hodaka, similar to say a Roush or Saleen Mustang car today.

good stuff. I never knew what a Steens Hodaka really was all about but I remember them in magazines and seeing guys wearing the jersey's.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:54 PM   #157
nachtflug
infidel

don't see a whole lot of these around.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:05 PM   #158
El Hombre
Banned

Oddometer: 1,536
Quote:
don't see a whole lot of these around.

A jimbo bike!

Those S&W shocks were made by Monroe, yeah, the car shock people. Same shock you bought for the Buick. Friend used to work for Tim Witham. He told me.
El Hombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 07:40 AM   #159
Sal Paradise
Dharma Bum

Quote:
I'm not a big fan of the AMA but the Motocross America exhibit at the HQ in Ohio which if it hasn't ended is ending very soon, is stunning. Top shelf. Could not have been better. The book is worth whatever you pay for it. $40?

I love the old gear. Its too bad the plastic boots didn't work cause they were neat looking. Scott is bringing them back, the Genius boot. They run 5 or 6 hundred bucks though!

Raoul Duke: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:42 AM   #160
Sal Paradise
Dharma Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Hombre
A jimbo bike!

Those S&W shocks were made by Monroe, yeah, the car shock people. Same shock you bought for the Buick. Friend used to work for Tim Witham. He told me.

S&W's work great for being car shocks. I run new Progressives which are basically the same. I gues they figured out how to make them last, I've never blown a pair out and they usually take a good beating!

P.S. Did anyone else see what looks like a huge flatspot in the rear rim of the Optaco??

Old 01-28-2008, 07:42 AM   #161
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,567
Here is a link to The History of Honda Dirt Bikes:

Link Here

Good info on the Elsinores!
Gordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 07:47 AM   #162
Valleyrider
I Survived The '60s

Oddometer: 1,834
Quote:
your input to this thread is invaluable. it really is a window into a very special time (1970ish give and take a few) and place (California).

great stuff. I'm sure you know, Thorwaldson died road racing a few years back. I remarked at the time that checking out at his age (63?) while racing and obviously never stopped racing, wasn't all that bad of a deal considering how many people for so many reasons have to throw in the towel so much earlier. but it still sucks.

I met John Desoto at Mid Ohio VintageDays MX this past summer. He was really great and really appreciated that people were interested in him. He was like you knew him your whole life he was so cool about it.

I have in a scrap book when I used to cut magazines up another Suzuki ad with John DeSoto and his brother(?) posing and wheelieing away from a starting line on TM400's.

you catch it at the right angle the 71 has some pretty sweet lines.
First off, Thank you! I was very fortunate to have worked at Suzuki and later Yamaha at the time. It was very sad news about Rich. I remember reading all the well wisher messages on the website setup after his accident. He was one of the really down to earth nice guys!
John was an animal on a bike, but was the exact opposite off the bike. The whole family would often stop in at Suzuki's Santa fe Springs facility and visit the shop. Great people!!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48000856@N06/
Valleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:29 AM   #163
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,743
Quote:
good stuff. I never knew what a Steens Hodaka really was all about but I remember them in magazines and seeing guys wearing the jersey's.
In the years before Hodaka build their first race bike, the Super Rat, Jhon Steen took Ace 100 Hodakas and tore them down and re-built them as "race bikes". The frames were painted silver, The gas tanks were given a dark blue paint job down the top. Ceriani forks, webco air filter & pipe.

I grew up in the D-37 desert races and knew Rich Thorwalson. Rich and many of the other members of the Prospectors MC were world class racers. Rich's dad Bill and Charlie Hockie had a Bultaco Shop (CB Motors) in Gardena. Bill Messer (father of MX ace Bobby Messer) and Bill Thor were the first americans to race the ISDT, sponsored on a couple of VIllers by Nick Nicolson, aka "Uncle Nick" who went on to be the Greeves distributer.

Prior to landing that rare "Full Ride" factory sponsorship on the Suzuki, Rick kicked major ass on his Jhon Steen sponsored Rickman Westlake BSA thumper. Rich was never able to do on the factory backed Suzuki what he could do on the Rickman.
Strong Bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:31 AM   #164
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleyrider
First off, Thank you! I was very fortunate to have worked at Suzuki and later Yamaha at the time. It was very sad news about Rich. I remember reading all the well wisher messages on the website setup after his accident. He was one of the really down to earth nice guys!
John was an animal on a bike, but was the exact opposite off the bike. The whole family would often stop in at Suzuki's Santa fe Springs facility and visit the shop. Great people!!
Jhon & his brother were regulars at the Wed night Ascot Part MX races. That was back when Jhon was still a Montessa rider along side Tim Hart, who rode for Competetion Services in San Pedro.
Strong Bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:50 AM   #165
nachtflug
infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad
Tim Hart....
one by one the old names start to surface. if he doesn't get credit for wearing a full face helmet before it was standard equipment in MX I don't know who would.

we could almost do a thread on the old names, as this is sticking mainly to the bikes.

so many names. all but forgotten while NBA Basketball players get 75 million dollar contracts to play basketball and then complain about it.