Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2008, 10:15 PM   #211
Sal Paradise
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug
I don't think they broke down more than anything else. like Hunky said if you rode one if was almost like cheating. though I can't say that from personal experience. I did see lots of them being raced and they definitely left an impression as the bike of choice for the rider that was more into riding well than doing crazy crossups. they stuck like glue and you could just see the difference in how they worked compared to other bikes.

which is why a lot of privateer pro's rode them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad
I worked for a Maico dealer and I donít know why the Maico-Breako name seemed to stick. Many of the outsourced components were the same as other Euro bikes used Bing carbs, Bosh electrical, Mahle pistons. I ported a fair share of them the castings were rather crude. I seem to remember that one of the most common engine failures were cranks/bottom end bearings. The gearboxes were strong. The worst thing about Maicos were the ungodly stiff clutches which used Belville washers; a stack of alternating cupped washers used as a spring. You have to remember that it wasnít uncommon for most of the bikes back then to break down on occasion. Maicos were rather expensive and didnít have that great of a dealership network. The mighty 501 was one of the greatest bikes of all time
Both good points. Biggest Maico issue I know of is the primary chain. The rollers occasionaly snap off and end up floating around in the motor. Also the clutch is kinda of a pain because they don't work real shit hot and are relativley stiff. The clutches are not super stiff (check out old KTM's) but you need strong hands. Other issues that weren't as big a deal: they were a vibrator so the head stays don't last long, neither does the pipe on a GP (long stinger the tends to crack.) It also seems like the rear hubs had issues. A small ring ran just inside the outside lip on the backing plate, this ring tends to chip and break causing a rough edge. Doesn't seem to hurt anything but it makes doing a concours resto a little tough. Probably the last issue is the handlebars had a tendency to slip. The quick fix is to put set screws in them, or tighten the clamp bolts to a Billion PSI! And thats about it. Trust me CZ's have way fewer problems, but they also have a little less power, and a lot less handling!

Raoul Duke: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Sal Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 10:28 PM   #212
vintagemxr
old fahrt, nobody special

Oddometer: 640
Eek

Speaking of Husky's, this is the reason someone "back then" made and sold a small padded leather device known as a "goodie guard." Couldn't find a picture of one though, just remember seeing them on the earlier Husky's. I don't care how tough you are, come down on that with your manly parts and you're going to be racing in the "powder puff" class next time out.

Doug
----------
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength" - Eric Hoffer
vintagemxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 12:36 AM   #213
Trailing Jack
Dr. Acula

Oddometer: 1,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by onanysunday
This is another interesting Suzuki. It is the only Suzuki produced by Mr Tilken that utilized the cantilever rear suspension. It is the same system as the CZ used earlier (also produced by Tilkens.) The CZ was tested by DeCoster who ran better laptimes than on his lightweight Works Suzuki. When it came time to pitch the bike to Suzuki DeCoster vouched for it but Tilkens couldn't prove mathematically that it was any better, so it was quasehd. This bike was tested by DeCoster and Goebers but it never went into production. Anyway this is the only known photo to exist, enjoy.

The rider is Guy Tilkens, son of Lucien Tilkens, photo taken in 1971

P.S. if you want more works Suzuki (I've also got some Honda stuff) photos just holler! Cheers Amigos.
That is an outstanding photo and piece of history, oas!

There is some info about the Tilkens CZ that I posted over in "nachtflugs motorcycle thread" located elsewhere in Old School. It's on page 45(!) of that thread. I couldn't figure out how to transfer it over here.
BTW, if you folks are enjoying this thread and haven't checked out that one, there is a wealth of motorcycle history there as well.
Trailing Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 03:35 AM   #214
FR700
Hecklerô©ģ

Oddometer: 6,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailing Jack
It's on page 45(!) of that thread. I couldn't figure out how to transfer it over here.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...120064&page=45

Old 01-31-2008, 04:30 AM   #215
Lil Earle
Sweatin, not scared

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagemxr
Speaking of Husky's, this is the reason someone "back then" made and sold a small padded leather device known as a "goodie guard." Couldn't find a picture of one though, just remember seeing them on the earlier Husky's. I don't care how tough you are, come down on that with your manly parts and you're going to be racing in the "powder puff" class next time out.

Doug
People ask me about that bolt all the time on my 400cr. I tell them its a rectal bolt to help hold on during the start. I tell them thats why I slide up on the tank when I start.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:04 AM   #216
Sal Paradise
Dharma Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailing Jack
That is an outstanding photo and piece of history, oas!

There is some info about the Tilkens CZ that I posted over in "nachtflugs motorcycle thread" located elsewhere in Old School. It's on page 45(!) of that thread. I couldn't figure out how to transfer it over here.
BTW, if you folks are enjoying this thread and haven't checked out that one, there is a wealth of motorcycle history there as well.
The CZ is where my interest lies!

If I had the oppurtunity to buy one I would definetly take the CZ, it used a Citroen car shock!

Raoul Duke: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:05 AM   #217
Sal Paradise
Dharma Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Earle
People ask me about that bolt all the time on my 400cr. I tell them its a rectal bolt to help hold on during the start. I tell them thats why I slide up on the tank when I start.
Its one of the stupidest engineering flaws Husky made. My '72 250 wasn't real bad but my old man had a '71 8 speed a while back and it was!

Old 01-31-2008, 11:06 AM   #218
kittycactus OP
Banned

Oddometer: 578
Okay, I have a question about the CZ. The CZ motorcycle line was sold to Cagiva in the early 90ís. Cagiva then fell on hard times and the CZ line basically ended. My question is, what happened to the tooling, equipment, extra parts, and blueprints (or whatever itís called from which a bike is created on paper)? Was it all sold off, junked, sitting in a warehouse? There are a lot of bikes that have gone by the wayside and it makes me curious what happens with the residual hard parts and design information.
kittycactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 12:39 PM   #219
Sal Paradise
Dharma Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittycactus
Okay, I have a question about the CZ. The CZ motorcycle line was sold to Cagiva in the early 90ís. Cagiva then fell on hard times and the CZ line basically ended. My question is, what happened to the tooling, equipment, extra parts, and blueprints (or whatever itís called from which a bike is created on paper)? Was it all sold off, junked, sitting in a warehouse? There are a lot of bikes that have gone by the wayside and it makes me curious what happens with the residual hard parts and design information.
The million dollar question for those of us with a CZ obsession. Of course those blueprints, tooling, etc are the holy grail of the CZ enthusiast. Bertus, of Bertus CZ in La Puente, CA has gone to Czecho several times and has had some of the original parts remade. CZ outsourced almost nothing on the bike. The levers, grips, everything was made by them (except tires, rims, carbs and pistons) so almost every part on the bike is special to a CZ. This makes original parts or the tooling to make them a godsend. I have an interest in going to Czecheslovakia with Bertus and inquiring about remanufacturing Magnesium Center Cases and center port cylinders that came on the works bikes. We'll see...

Old 01-31-2008, 12:55 PM   #220
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 4,036
Doesn't CZ make the trannies for SKODA now?
Strong Bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 05:00 PM   #221
Sal Paradise
Dharma Bum

Quote:
Doesn't CZ make the trannies for SKODA now?
I don't know, they are still making bikes. They sell lots in Czecheslovakia...

Old 01-31-2008, 06:42 PM   #222
Solaros1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,234
Quote:
The mighty 501 was one of the greatest bikes of all time.
I got to ride one of those once....scared the hell out of me - damn what a machine.
Solaros1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 07:00 PM   #223
Sal Paradise
Dharma Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solaros1
I got to ride one of those once....scared the hell out of me - damn what a machine.
I've never ridden one. I would like to, the old man had a 1989 KTM 500 2 stroke. That bike would tear your arms off if you wanted it to! I'm sure the 501 is the same.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:24 PM   #224
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 22,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by onanysunday
........... for those of us with a CZ obsession.
Here's one. The old CZ owners manuals had an unusual break in procedure.

They told you to start up the bike, cover the engine with a blanket and let it idle until it seized. Then you were to tear the top down and lightly sand the high spots on the piston. No kidding.
Gordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 09:56 PM   #225
Sal Paradise
Dharma Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy
Here's one. The old CZ owners manuals had an unusual break in procedure.

They told you to start up the bike, cover the engine with a blanket and let it idle until it seized. Then you were to tear the top down and lightly sand the high spots on the piston. No kidding.
Very good way to fine tune a piston!

If your a real CZ nut that rides a 380 you must know to sand down the bridge on the exhaust port to prevent seizures!