Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2012, 10:44 AM   #2656
dorkpunch
Oops...

Oddometer: 5,070
Wish you had some better pics of the Thing in the background!

"I've been going to this high school for SEVEN YEARS. I'm no dummy!"
-Charles De Mar.
dorkpunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:51 AM   #2657
Scootern29
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
Mitch was with the Antelope Ramblers MC prior to being a Charger. In early 1969 he rode a Kawi and then switched to Hodaka before joining the factory HD team, later he was on the factory Husky team.

Here is a pic of Mitch and AC Bakken in the impound area the day before winning the Baja 500

This was right after my little sister married AC.
You know your D37 history my man. I worked with AC and the boys on the Husky off road team. I worked for Curnutt back in those days. I haven't seen AC or Scot Hardin for quite a number of years. I'm a member of the Hilltoppers MC.
Scootern29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:08 PM   #2658
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootern29 View Post
You know your D37 history my man. I worked with AC and the boys on the Husky off road team. I worked for Curnutt back in those days. I haven't seen AC or Scot Hardin for quite a number of years. I'm a member of the Hilltoppers MC.
I grew up in D-37 starting my racing on a Hodaka in 1969. I was a Desert Turtle back then (wearing "Turtle" jersey in the pic above at Viewfinders GP at Willowsprings) and now I'm a Lost Coyote. As you well know, it is a small community and if you were around very long you got to know just about everyone. Charlie Curnutt Jr. & I used to hang out before he went to work American Honda. I used to crew on his sail boat and helped him with the Temple Class 1 & 2 cars, which Rolf Tibblin was a part of when Charlie had WFO Industries.

AC just had a big 60th B'day bash up at Goat Breker's place in Randsburg, many of the old Husky crew were there, including Brent Wallingsford. Mitch showed up and it was awesome to see Mitch and AC take off into the dez in a Razor. Both AC & Mitch were at the Corriganville GP reunion last month.

AC was at the Catalina GP, I thought all of you Hilltoppers were there?
Old 09-09-2012, 12:43 PM   #2659
skorpioskorpio
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
I'm not %100 sure the TM/RM overlapped and I don't think they did but I could be wrong.

what did they say in 1974, 73, 72, and 71?

was this sold as a trail bike?

I stand corrected, obviously it was sold to attract the babe in the bikini that everyone else stares at.
skorpioskorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:46 PM   #2660
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,886
Quote:
Sorry, just don't see the humor. I had the same set up on my helmet until I was one of the first (and few) to wear a Bell Star in the dez.

man that is beyond cool. any info on the details about that shot. the year? bike? location? who took it and how you got it?
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:49 PM   #2661
nachtflug
infidel

Quote:
Mitch was with the Antelope Ramblers MC prior to being a Charger. In early 1969 he rode a Kawi and then switched to Hodaka before joining the factory HD team, later he was on the factory Husky team.

Here is a pic of Mitch and AC Bakken in the impound area the day before winning the Baja 500

This was right after my little sister married AC.
man..

at the time they were very big names in a magazine winning very big races. and now, barely more than kids. surreal.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:59 PM   #2662
nachtflug
infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jub jub View Post
This is the RM370B I picked for $1200.00! Can you imagine buying one that cheap today!
the absolute best looking twin shock up pipe MX bike ever made. even better than the Husky's and thats hard to do. that is perfection.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:10 PM   #2663
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Quote:
man that is beyond cool. any info on the details about that shot. the year? bike? location? who took it and how you got it?
The year was 1970. When I first posted this pic I thought It was Viewfinders GP, but I was wrong, it was Four Aces GP. The track was Willow Springs at Rosemond, more famous for it's road track. The course was about 5 miles in length including all of the paved track. The race was around an hour in length.

The bike was my 1969 Yamaha 125cc AT1mx. It had a Daryl Bassani pipe, EC Birt Port timing (I did the grinding), and Curnutt shocks. Additionally I had laced up a 21" front wheel and put a Webco air filter can with a Filtron element.

The photo was taken by a guy named Brian Clock who owned Trackside Color Photos. Brian went to most all of the D-37 desert races and all of the GPs. He set up flags at a launch point so you knew that a "Photog" was there and something was about to launch you! Brian would set up a table at the next district race with proofs for you to look at and if you like it, he would print you up a 8x10 for around 10 bucks.

Here is another pic of me (also a Trackside pic) on the same scooter winning the 250 Novice class at the Barstow to Vegas later that same year. Note the Torsten Hallman goat skin leathers, lineman boots, lack of silencer on the Bassani pipe, and the plug wrench on the bars. Notice the worst thing about racing with the Bell Star with the dust on the inside of the visor.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:12 PM   #2664
Scootern29
Gnarly Adventurer

Here is one of me before I started racing. I was practicing for my first race, Buzzards 1974. It had to be early 1974 on my Puch 175. This was my liitle test track, after Charlie Jr. rode it with me it turned into the Curnutt test track. It had a little bit of everything around it.You had to land just right on the 6" wide trail or you were of in the rocks and really screwed. It was pretty high speed.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:42 PM   #2665
nachtflug
infidel

Quote:
Here is another pic of me (also a Trackside pic) on the same scooter winning the 250 Novice class at the Barstow to Vegas later that same year. Note the Torsten Hallman goat skin leathers, lineman boots, lack of silencer on the Bassani pipe, and the plug wrench on the bars. Notice the worst thing about racing with the Bell Star with the dust on the inside of the visor.

I feel really lucky to have caught the sport when guys were still running unsilenced expansion chambers. yes they were loud but my god what a sound. I woudn't want to be around it all day long at this point but the memories of those bikes are etched in my memory. any 2 stroke for that matter even the late 70's and 80's bikes sounded great, I get really amped up at vintage MX when guys are wringing them out on the starting line. just love it. the 125's came with e start by 71 time frame. did they even on the 1969's? did you take it off? the no front fender look definitely is different. every time I see west coast/california "dirt" pics from this era I get blown away. from a 14 year olds vantage point of magazines in 1971 California was the center of the universe. Have you seen the pics Scott Heidbrink has been posting on Facebook? stunning stuff from socal 70's. just unbelievable stuff and tons of it. great shot you got here, thanks for all the backround info it's always cool to hear.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:05 PM   #2666
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Quote:
I feel really lucky to have caught the sport when guys were still running unsilenced expansion chambers. yes they were loud but my god what a sound. I woudn't want to be around it all day long at this point but the memories of those bikes are etched in my memory. any 2 stroke for that matter even the late 70's and 80's bikes sounded great, I get really amped up at vintage MX when guys are wringing them out on the starting line. just love it. the 125's came with e start by 71 time frame. did they even on the 1969's? did you take it off? the no front fender look definitely is different. every time I see west coast/california "dirt" pics from this era I get blown away. from a 14 year olds vantage point of magazines in 1971 California was the center of the universe. Have you seen the pics Scott Heidbrink has been posting on Facebook? stunning stuff from socal 70's. just unbelievable stuff and tons of it. great shot you got here, thanks for all the backround info it's always cool to hear.
My ears still ring from those days...seriously, I can't hear shit and the constant ringing is so loud at night at times it can be hard to get to sleep.

Yamaha had 2 AT1 models, the AT1 (with the electric start, street legal w/ lights and everything) and the AT1MX, which was a fully stripped down and GYT kitted bike. One thing I didn't point out before was the fiberglass aftermarket tank I was using, it was modified aftermarket tank made for Bultaco Pursangs. It held a full 3 1/2 gallons which was needed for Barstow to Vegas with two of the pits being 45 miles apart.

The no front fender was old school desert as was running the fork brace. You'll notice in pic from the Grand Prix, I'm running a front fender because it was common for the clubs to dig a mud pit/water crossing as part of the course. The AT1 came with a low fender and when you put the fork brace on you had to go with a high fender.

Is Scott Heidbrink "Vintage Factory"? He has been pulling out lots of old stuff that is really, really, cool.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:39 AM   #2667
c.herman126
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 521
Thanks guys for sharing these photos and stories!

1993 XR650L
2008 530 EXC-R
c.herman126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:30 PM   #2668
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,081
Quote:
My ears still ring from those days...seriously, I can't hear shit and the constant ringing is so loud at night at times it can be hard to get to sleep.

It's called tinnitus. Lots of us have it. I raced enduro karts in the early 60's with open horn exhausts. Motorcycles later, but silenced. Helicopters in between,,,

Maybe the ringing isn't related to anything but age, but it makes for a good story and I get to pick from three!
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:23 PM   #2669
Scootern29
Gnarly Adventurer

My ears still ring.......not from bikes but form loud music........Duhhhh.

Here is a pic of me from a CRC desert race (late 76) that was a warm up for the Parker 400 after DRA closed up shop. 1976 YZ 125X. I ended up 10th overall and second C bike (125-175) behind George Erl. I'm crossed up but the bike isn't. Funny chit. Note the rugby jersey. It was the cool thing back then.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:31 PM   #2670
Scootern29
Gnarly Adventurer

This photo is from the early 90's. My good friend Lee Fabry brought this bike up for me to ride. I traded him a gas tank to ride the Puch twin carb. He obliged and still gave me $100 bucks for the tank that would be a race tank. The bike was awesome for it's year. I am one of very few people that have rode one.