Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 08:04 AM   #2821
Motoduc1
backtrackvideo.com

Oddometer: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalacticGS View Post
Billy Grossi on a Carabella

I was at that race. Herman, Nebraska, 1978. That Carabela broke on the LAST lap of the second moto. He would've had a tenth overall on vastly inferior motorcycle.

Later, I worked with Billy on the "BackTrack" DVD. He told me another story about the Carabela ride. The Mexican factory worked with the Italian Moto Villa factory for their mx lineup. They were waiting for a better bike, but the Italians were off on one of their frequent strikes/work stoppages, so R&D had stalled. Reliability issues had gotten so bad that, at one point, the Mexicans considered buying a Yamaha and putting Carabela stickers on it, just so Billy could finish a race. But they just pulled the plug instead.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:25 AM   #2822
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoduc1 View Post
I was at that race. Herman, Nebraska, 1978. That Carabela broke on the LAST lap of the second moto. He would've had a tenth overall on vastly inferior motorcycle.

Later, I worked with Billy on the "BackTrack" DVD. He told me another story about the Carabela ride. The Mexican factory worked with the Italian Moto Villa factory for their mx lineup. They were waiting for a better bike, but the Italians were off on one of their frequent strikes/work stoppages, so R&D had stalled. Reliability issues had gotten so bad that, at one point, the Mexicans considered buying a Yamaha and putting Carabela stickers on it, just so Billy could finish a race. But they just pulled the plug instead.
Carabela had a history of pulling the plug. I had forgotten that they had come back in the late 70's with Grossi. I rode for them in early 1972 and they pulled the plug at the end of 1972. We only had 125cc bikes, the 250 wasn't made yet.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:50 AM   #2823
KansasBob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
The Carabela discussion has been interesting, and pretty much reinforces what little I knew about the brand.
I have to admit I was hoping the air box was off something obscure from Europe, and finding out it was for the Carabela was a bit of a let down. Once I knew what I was looking at, I checked and there's a couple for sale on ebay that aren't selling. I guess I can use it to practice painting on fiberglass, and make it into "Shop Art"
KansasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:35 PM   #2824
Tech23
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
Yes! I miss them too. I worked at a Suzuki-Kawasaki-Maico-Hodaka-DKW-Puch-CanAm- Steen Allsport Dealer.

With SkiDoo, MotoSki, ArcticCat for the bad season.

And that was before computer inventories. You looked up the part in the book, looked up the bin location in another list, then looked up the price in another book. Wrote out the sales slip, totaled the price, figured the tax. After the sale you went to a card file and logged off the part from inventory. If you hit the minimum quantity, you turned the card bottom side up and the cards had a corner cut off at the top, so parts that needed re-order had a little corner sticking out. Then at the end of the week, you went back to the card file and ordered, by hand, all the parts you needed. Then you called the manufacturer and dictated your order. When the parts came in, you logged them on the card and flipped it back over and the process repeats.

But hey, I was working at a motorcycle dealer and getting a discount on my race parts and accessories.
I worked at a full line Honda dealer in the mid 80's and that's the way I remember looking up parts. The Part's manager handled the inventory card file and dictating the Honda codes on the phone...the phone with a wire attached to it and plugged into the wall...lol. You never sit down and finish a meal in the parts dept. You get used to cold burgers and fries. It was a fun job though, I had a lot of good customers there.

Tech23

2000 Harley Davidson FXDWG
2011 Victory Cross Country
Tech23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:36 PM   #2825
Motoduc1
backtrackvideo.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post

But hey, I was working at a motorcycle dealer and getting a discount on my race parts and accessories.
In the 70's, I received a ten per cent discount on parts. And I wrote letters to companies and conned them out of free goggles and some other bits. Never made it out of the 125 "C" class!

Still, every time I got something, it made me FEEL like a factory rider!
Old 12-13-2012, 03:41 PM   #2826
Motoduc1
backtrackvideo.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasBob View Post
The Carabela discussion has been interesting, and pretty much reinforces what little I knew about the brand.
I have to admit I was hoping the air box was off something obscure from Europe, and finding out it was for the Carabela was a bit of a let down. Once I knew what I was looking at, I checked and there's a couple for sale on ebay that aren't selling. I guess I can use it to practice painting on fiberglass, and make it into "Shop Art"
I dunno. The right person is probably out there right now...just hasn't checked eBay for a while. Be patient! I'll bet it sells!

Motoduc1 screwed with this post 12-13-2012 at 03:46 PM
Motoduc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:30 PM   #2827
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoduc1 View Post
In the 70's, I received a ten per cent discount on parts. And I wrote letters to companies and conned them out of free goggles and some other bits. Never made it out of the 125 "C" class!

Still, every time I got something, it made me FEEL like a factory rider!
At one of the Race shops I worked at in the early 70's had a racer's discount card. You had to buy the shop's team jersey to get the card. When you presented the card at the part counter you were given 20% off. What you weren't told was the the owner was so tired of slow/crappy racers asking for discounts we were told that prior to giving the 20% off we were to mark the part up 30% so these guys were paying 10% over retail and loving it!!!!
Old 12-13-2012, 09:35 PM   #2828
Motoduc1
backtrackvideo.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
At one of the Race shops I worked at in the early 70's had a racer's discount card. You had to buy the shop's team jersey to get the card. When you presented the card at the part counter you were given 20% off. What you weren't told was the the owner was so tired of slow/crappy racers asking for discounts we were told that prior to giving the 20% off we were to mark the part up 30% so these guys were paying 10% over retail and loving it!!!!
Old 12-26-2012, 11:51 AM   #2829
Scootern29
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
It's been dead in here for a couple of weeks. The wife was going through some old photo's yesterday and I found this one.

Adelanto GP about 20 years ago. I know this riders last name was Walker. Help me out here Strong Bad. Was it George?

Scootern29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:11 PM   #2830
Scootern29
Gnarly Adventurer

A couple more from the same race.

"Rocket" Rex Staten

I believe this is Rick O'Donnell

My son on the Chayzed. We could never get him to wear his riding pants. Damn teenagers

Can't leave out the Hacksters
Old 12-27-2012, 01:49 PM   #2831
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootern29 View Post
It's been dead in here for a couple of weeks. The wife was going through some old photo's yesterday and I found this one.

Adelanto GP about 20 years ago. I know this riders last name was Walker. Help me out here Strong Bad. Was it George?

I think so. Let me forward to my geezer friends who are Checkers, they will know for sure. You sure about the Walker...not Larkin Wright? Larkin soloed the Baja 1000 on a Trumpet back around then.

Strong Bad screwed with this post 12-27-2012 at 03:34 PM
Strong Bad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:30 PM   #2832
Scootern29
Gnarly Adventurer

No it wasn't that ding a ling Larkin. I know Larkin. It was George. I checked on the Checkers website. He passed away not to long ago.

Scootern29 screwed with this post 12-27-2012 at 05:31 PM Reason: spellin error
Old 12-27-2012, 09:26 PM   #2833
JeffS77
cheap bastard

Oddometer: 3,291
ok this one will probably be pretty ez for most you guys.

Who can name this rider ? was a pretty damn good desert racer on bikes also did buggies/trucks and had a speedway carrier ??

JeffS77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:16 AM   #2834
MotoMike
Washed Up Desert Racer

Oddometer: 4,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffS77 View Post
ok this one will probably be pretty ez for most you guys.

Who can name this rider ? was a pretty damn good desert racer on bikes also did buggies/trucks and had a speedway carrier ??

Jim "The Animal" Fishback
Old 12-28-2012, 09:42 AM   #2835
r77toy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 452
We'll be in turn 1 with a Polish flag.
r77toy is offline   Reply With Quote