Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2014, 08:23 PM   #3046
scoutDad
IBA#203

Oddometer: 337
In addition to Kawasaki, Suzuki also made some "enduro's" with high-low range transmissions. I think they might have had one as large as a 125 or maybe even a 185, but I don't remember anyone with a 400/450 hi-lo.

I also don't recall Yamaha as having that feature, but they may have. The Honda's I recall were the small 90/110's and some larger street bikes, like the CB900 mentioned by someone else.

Not as great as it sounds. As I recall, the general consensus of riders back then was that a good 6 speed was more useful than a 4 or 5 speed with a hi-lo range.

Don't have time to Google it right now, so hoping my memory is somewhat correct.
06 KLX250, 07 KLX250, 06 KLX250
1 scoutDad, 2 Eagles, and 3 KLX’s heading to Colorado
scoutDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 12:56 AM   #3047
Pete-NZ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutDad View Post
In addition to Kawasaki, Suzuki also made some "enduro's" with high-low range transmissions. I think they might have had one as large as a 125 or maybe even a 185, but I don't remember anyone with a 400/450 hi-lo.

I also don't recall Yamaha as having that feature, but they may have. The Honda's I recall were the small 90/110's and some larger street bikes, like the CB900 mentioned by someone else.

Not as great as it sounds. As I recall, the general consensus of riders back then was that a good 6 speed was more useful than a 4 or 5 speed with a hi-lo range.

Don't have time to Google it right now, so hoping my memory is somewhat correct.
The Suzuki TC range "90 , 100 , 125" were built for farm work like the yamaha AGs.. low range is just right for following a herd of stock around.. They were NEVER intended as trail bikes.. Thats what the TS range was for...
Old 06-21-2014, 10:13 AM   #3048
Spikester300
Roll Tide!

Oddometer: 121
There was also a 185 dual range, had chrome fenders and electric start.

http://www.suzukicycles.org/TC-serie...rochures.shtml

Spikester300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 10:26 AM   #3049
Tech23
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
Can you imagine the two stroke street legal dual sport bikes we'd be riding today if we didn't have all these regulations here in the US.

Tech23

2000 Harley Davidson FXDWG
2011 Victory Cross Country
Tech23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:58 AM   #3050
jub jub
frumiousbandersnatch

Oddometer: 13,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by artracing View Post
Just finished this Yamaha HL500 replica
Oh man, I'm in love!
jub jub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 12:04 PM   #3051
Wmac
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Sorry if this has already been mentioned, I didn't scour every post. According to Clayton Christianson's book, "The Innovator's Dilemma," it all started with Honda. Here's an excerpt from Chapter 7.

“Meanwhile, one Saturday, Kihachiro Kawashima, the Honda executive in charge of the North American venture, decided to vent his frustrations by taking his Supercub into the hills east of Los Angeles. It helped: He felt better after zipping around in the dirt. A few weeks later he sought relief dirt-biking again. Eventually he invited his two colleagues to join him on their Supercubs. Their neighbors and others who saw them zipping around the hills began inquiring where they could buy those cute little bikes, and the trio obliged by special-ordering Supercub models for them from Japan. This private use of what became known as off-road dirt bikes continued for a couple of years.”

“Finally, as more and more people clamored for their own little Honda Supercubs to join their dirt-biking friends, the potential for a very different market dawned on Honda’s U.S. team: Maybe there was an undeveloped off-the-road recreational motorbike market in North America for which— quite by accident—the company’s little 50cc Supercub was nicely suited. Although it took much arguing and arm-twisting, the Los Angeles team ultimately convinced corporate management in Japan that while the company’s large bike strategy was doomed to failure, another quite different opportunity to create a totally new market segment merited pursuit.”

Excerpt From: Clayton M. Christensen. “The Innovator’s Dilemma With Award-Winning Harvard Business Review Article “How Will You Measure Your Life?”.” Harvard Business Review Press, 2012-05-15. iBooks.
This material may be protected by copyright.

Check out this book on the iBooks Store: https://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/...k?id=529657199
Wmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 08:33 AM   #3052
Volker Schmidt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
I love these old enduros, so I have my 1990'er suzuki DR 800 Big turned into a classic vintage enduro. I hope you like it.

cheers volli..

Volker Schmidt screwed with this post 07-05-2014 at 01:44 AM
Volker Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 08:21 PM   #3053
JagLite
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,095
Thumb Dr. Big indeed!

Beautifully done!

A bike to be proud of and a joy to ride
James
JagLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:09 AM   #3054
mark1150
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volker Schmidt View Post
I love these old enduros, so I have my 1990'er suzuki DR 800 Big turned into a classic vintage enduro. I hope you like it.

cheers volli..
Very nice work, what tank and saddle did you use and how did you get them to fit the DR?
mark1150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 11:44 AM   #3055
GalacticGS
1200 GS Rider

Oddometer: 2,214
Absoultely beautiful - but "nut buster" tank mounts. Reminds me of the early Husky's, which caused a few voices to become suddenly high in range at times...
"Speak to me of summer, long winters longer than time can remember;
Setting up of other roads, travel on in old accustomed ways."
GalacticGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 02:31 PM   #3056
Volker Schmidt
Adventurer

Hi, I am glad that you like it. This tank is taken from a Suzuki GN 250 and the seat is from a Yamaha SR 500. The seat is available here: http://www.ebay.de/itm/Sitzbank-NEU-...item2a310cacd9.

The tank fits into original front holder, rear as you can see, he needs to be adjusted with.... nut busters.....I did not take any detail photos of this conversion. The Yamaha seat also need a little brain power to fit it on the bike.

she is really small....in front she looks like a 125cc bike.....

But without detail photos this conversion is difficult to describe.

volli

Volker Schmidt screwed with this post 07-06-2014 at 02:44 PM
Old 07-07-2014, 04:59 AM   #3057
BorisTas
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 599
That sir is beautiful !!

One is all you need ,
Two is a Luxury
Any more is an indulgence
BorisTas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:17 AM   #3058
BazBro
Aching bones...

Oddometer: 9
Here's a bit of dirt bike history.

It's my late Father's 1960 BSA C15T (250cc Trials model), still in the trim as it was first sold, ie no alloy tank, mudguards (fenders??), or other mods. He had trialled it originally, then "Green Laned"** it. The photo belies the poor condition it's in. It hasn't run for about fifteen years and even when it did it was a b*gger to start (crappy battery-less discharge ignition).

I inherited the 'bike upon his death (aged 97) last year. I'm not a good enough mechanic to refurb the engine so that's now been sent away to a "man who can" (Hoppy Hopwood).

I originally wanted to completely restore it to 'as new' but I've been lobbied by all the trials guys (here http://www.trialscentral.com/ - a great source of info on all things Trials) to just leave it as it is - it's rusted quite heavily in places, the paint and chrome's b*ggered and looks in poor condition - because "it's only original once"! Well, I'm going to meet them half-way...

I plan to have the frame and black bits resprayed/stove enamelled (not powder coated), rewired with no battery to 12v, electronic ignition (by Boyer Bransden), rebuild wheels with the original rims rechromed, new cables/bearings (swing arm, wheels, head race) and then see how that looks and goes. I can easily refurb anything that's then "not right" without having to pull the whole thing completely apart again.

I only plan to use it as a runabout, maybe a little light Green Laning, but I would like to take it to a Trial and let a really good rider have a proper go with it.

**Green Lane - This is a British situation where legal "roads" exist but they're merely un-metalled dirt tracks. Called Green Lanes, they're a popular (but diminishing) source of pleasant off-road riding as there's pressure from hiking and horse-riding lobbies to close them to all vehicles.

Attached Images

BazBro screwed with this post 07-08-2014 at 05:24 AM
BazBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:11 AM   #3059
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 46,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volker Schmidt View Post

But without detail photos this conversion is difficult to describe.

volli
take the headlight from #1 bike and put it on the #2 bike and you'll have perfection.
nachtflug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:52 AM   #3060
Volker Schmidt
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
take the headlight from #1 bike and put it on the #2 bike and you'll have perfection.
sure.. ????..

volli