nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 07:01 PM   #842
xlcr
Stop being a dick, dick.

Oddometer: 4,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopSuey
Is that a Yankee?
He's from Michigan, so I guess that makes him a yankee.
xlcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 07:14 PM   #843
Sal Paradise
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,267
Quote:
1973 Rickman 125 ISDE - hard to find pictures of these?
Nice! ISDT's are my second passion, after VMX. My favorite is the Jawa ISDT, they utilized a transmission that could be removed without pulling the motor from the frame, fully enclosed oil bath chain. Plus all kinds of other neat stuff, alloy tank, and all the other weird components CZ/ Jawa had.
Attached Images

Raoul Duke: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Sal Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 06:23 AM   #844
ChopSuey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlcr
He's from Michigan, so I guess that makes him a yankee.
Hey now! I'm not no damn yankee and I'm not a him!

So I'm guessing the bike is not a Yankee? I don't know what it is, that's why I asked the experts. The photo properties say it's a Harley but I've learned the hard way not to rely on that kind of proof.
ChopSuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 06:32 AM   #845
ChopSuey
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise
Nice! ISDT's are my second passion, after VMX. My favorite is the Jawa ISDT, they utilized a transmission that could be removed without pulling the motor from the frame, fully enclosed oil bath chain. Plus all kinds of other neat stuff, alloy tank, and all the other weird components CZ/ Jawa had.
Thanks Sal! Say, you sound familiar...
Old 04-10-2008, 07:00 AM   #846
MotoMike
Washed Up Desert Racer

Oddometer: 4,918
Quote:
Hey now! I'm not no damn yankee and I'm not a him!

So I'm guessing the bike is not a Yankee? I don't know what it is, that's why I asked the experts. The photo properties say it's a Harley but I've learned the hard way not to rely on that kind of proof.
Yes, it's a Harley.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:19 AM   #847
Sal Paradise
Dharma Bum

Quote:
Thanks Sal! Say, you sound familiar...
Oh, yaa...

I'm onanysundays fake noob, except I have exactly as many posts as him.

BTW: I think Chop Suey has commandeered this thread! HAHA I haven't heard from Kittycactus in a couple pages??

Raoul Duke: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:29 AM   #848
ChopSuey
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Oh, yaa...

I'm onanysundays fake noob, except I have exactly as many posts as him.

BTW: I think Chop Suey has commandeered this thread! HAHA I haven't heard from Kittycactus in a couple pages??
Oh... um... well KC kind of dropped the ball and flaked out, so I thought I would pick it up and run with it since I don't know diddly squat about vintage dirt bikes either.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:17 AM   #849
hgs
greg in nyc

Oddometer: 5
indian dunes?

i haven't been through all 57 pages yet (i couldn't find any mention of indian dunes through searching)...

but this thread brought back immediate memories of indian dunes in southern cali. i was only 10-13 when i was riding there.... first on my '74 hodaka TT 100 (i have no idea what it was before it was turned into a TT race bike) then my tricked out '77 suzuki rm 80 (by that time bored out to about a 90 - at least i thought so). so i came across this little vid that brough back some memories... this place was the shit when i was a kid.

http://

'04 ktm 351exc
hgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:59 AM   #850
ChopSuey
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug
I think it might be a little misleading. things were either 125-250, or open class, sometimes referred to as the 500 class.

but anything bigger than a 250 went there and they all knew the deal. there were few real 500's except the thumpers, BSA's etc, but then again it all depends when you were talking about. For me, starting point of reference 1970, the 500 class was an endless procession of 350's, 360's, 370's 380's 390's, 400's galore, 420's, 440's, 450's, 480's, 490's the legendary 501 Maico, and then the big boys on the BSA's and even Triumphs.

You run what you brought in the 500 class. too bad they killed it.

and we're talking more MX here. In scrambles there would be also a 200 class chock full of Bultaco's with a few stragglers thrown in on Pentons or hotted up Jap.

and of course lets not forget the 100 class chock full of Hodaka's and more hotted up Jap with the Kawasaki Centurion as a bonafide race bike circa 1970. the 100 class made the 125's sound like thumpers in comparision.

then of course in enduro's there would be a 175 class....

and of course todays 250 class where you can run a 450. :ymca

and the 125 class where you can run a 250 :ymca :ymca

but they've finally changed it to legitamize the cheaters. to "lights"
Quote:
Your absolutley right. 500's and 250's were widely accepted as the only classses that mattered, in europe at least. On the other side of the pond the 125 class was somewhat of a joke, its why very few were sold by euro manufacturers...
Not sure I fully understand this - what you and nachtflug are both saying about the 125's. Isn't/wasn't the 125 class for the up and coming younger riders, a starting point?
Old 04-10-2008, 11:37 AM   #851
xlcr
Stop being a dick, dick.

Oddometer: 4,895
Quote:
Not sure I fully understand this - what you and nachtflug are both saying about the 125's. Isn't/wasn't the 125 class for the up and coming younger riders, a starting point?

Someone should field a 441 Victor just so they could reminisce about how air-cooled, 2-valve, pushrod singles used to have to compete with similar displacement 2-strokes. Nowadays, modern 4-strokes have evolved to the point where they can compete with 2-strokes half their size.
xlcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 12:01 PM   #852
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,680
Quote:
When I was a young lad racing AMAD-37 desert I had a 125cc Yamaha AT-1 mx. I had to race it in the 250cc class simply because at the time the classes were:

Trail Bike 0-100cc
Lightweight 101-250cc
Open 251-

Later they added a class and we had:

Trail Bike 0-100cc
Lightweight II 101-175cc
Lightweight I 176-250cc
Open 251 -

Then the Trail Bike class went away and now the current calsses are:

Mini 0-85cc (limited to 12 to 15 year olds)
Lightweight II 0-200cc
Lightweight I 201 to 250cc
Open 251-

You are absolutely right the 125cc class used to be a great starting class for 15 to 16 year olds. However with all of this allowing 250cc four strokes in the 125cc class, everything got totally screwed up. In Supercross they ended up changing the 125cc class to "Supercross Lites". What they should have done is just bring back the Open class and banned 2 strokes.
Strong Bad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 12:31 PM   #853
ChopSuey
Gnarly Adventurer

Okay... now I get it. Now I understand the animosity that has been expressed on and off in this thread on the subject.

So did it end up that the smart riders or the ones that could afford to upgrade would buy the largest cc bike allowed in the class they wanted to run? That had to have been extremely frustrating for a kid on a smaller displacement bike running in the same class.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:49 PM   #854
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,680
Quote:
Okay... now I get it. Now I understand the animosity that has been expressed on and off in this thread on the subject.

So did it end up that the smart riders or the ones that could afford to upgrade would buy the largest cc bike allowed in the class they wanted to run? That had to have been extremely frustrating for a kid on a smaller displacement bike running in the same class.
Not really, as a kid if you could smoke the old guys on bigger bikes it was all the sweeter. A close friend of mine;Tommy Brooks, used to win desert races overall, beating all of the big bikes on a little 125cc DKW. In 1970 I won the 250 Novice class in the Barstow to Vegas on my 125cc AT-1mx.

Displacement is not the bottom line. Usuable horsepower along with handeling are crucial.
Strong Bad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 03:01 PM   #855
Sal Paradise
Dharma Bum

Quote:
Hey KC, ahh... I mean Chop Suey. I won't speak for Nachtflug (you don't want to know what happens when you do that! ) but I was referring to MX at a pro level. The expert or pro class 125cc group in europe was essentially non existent until the mid seventies. Even a GP win for a factory in that class wasn't given half the attention a win in the 250 or open class was....