ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2008, 07:41 AM   #1
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

Oddometer: 4,969
Outdoor faucet heater?

As the temperature is below zero right now, I worry about my outside faucet freezing.

I was wondering if anybody out there knows of anything made to keep it warm? I was thinking something like a small heating element that can wrap around the thing a few times- just to keep it relatively warm. Do they much such a thing? If not, could I fabriate one? I've googled for a while, and can't come up with anything.

Any advice would be appreciated, and no, I'm not moving my house to the south. Thanks!
adam_c_eckhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 07:45 AM   #2
AtomicXRer
Chile Eater

Oddometer: 3,914
Hardware stores have styrofoam covers that are made to clamp and completely cover outside faucets like a clamshell insulator. Really cheap, usually under 10 bucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamceckhardt
As the temperature is below zero right now, I worry about my outside faucet freezing.

I was wondering if anybody out there knows of anything made to keep it warm? I was thinking something like a small heating element that can wrap around the thing a few times- just to keep it relatively warm. Do they much such a thing? If not, could I fabriate one? I've googled for a while, and can't come up with anything.

Any advice would be appreciated, and no, I'm not moving my house to the south. Thanks!
Old 01-21-2008, 07:47 AM   #3
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicXRer
Hardware stores have styrofoam covers that are made to clamp and completely cover outside faucets like a clamshell insulator. Really cheap, usually under 10 bucks.

I've already got one of those- I just worry that if it sits at -10 for long enough, that the cover will do no good. Thanks, though!
Old 01-21-2008, 07:58 AM   #4
AtomicXRer
Chile Eater

Ok then, next step up is insulated electrical heater tape that you need to plug into 115V power. This stuff look like a long rubber belt with an AC plug at the end, and it is mostly sold at usually plumbers harware stores...of ourse you'll need AC power outlet near by. Cost is about $25. Google it: "elctical heat tape".

Quote:
I've already got one of those- I just worry that if it sits at -10 for long enough, that the cover will do no good. Thanks, though!
Old 01-21-2008, 08:22 AM   #5
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicXRer
Ok then, next step up is insulated electrical heater tape that you need to plug into 115V power. This stuff look like a long rubber belt with an AC plug at the end, and it is mostly sold at usually plumbers harware stores...of ourse you'll need AC power outlet near by. Cost is about $25. Google it: "elctical heat tape".

EXACTLY what I was looking for!!!! THANKS!
Old 01-21-2008, 09:50 AM   #6
EchoCharlie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
You should check to see if it's a frost free faucet.

Alot of places have outdoor fixtures that actually cut the water off far enough into the soil (or wall) that the water left in the pipe will not freeze.

This can explain it better than I.
http://www.easy2diy.com/cm/easy/diy_...ge_id=35720531
EchoCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 01:42 PM   #7
Hondo
What if its a Samsquamch?

Oddometer: 9,029
Yeah, I'd recommend a frost free faucet. Easy to install (if you can do simple plumbing) and cheap.

I installed them in an old house I remodeled in Michigan and they worked quite well.

"Life's an adventure, and I refuse to live a boring one."

Hondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 02:12 PM   #8
StmbtDave
AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer: 2,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo
Yeah, I'd recommend a frost free faucet. Easy to install (if you can do simple plumbing) and cheap.
Works great but be sure you install it with a slight downhill angle. If it's level or worse yet slightly uphill, water won't drain from the pipe and it will freeze in the pipe resulting in a leak as soon as you turn on the faucet. Don't ask how I know this .

Dave
Old 01-21-2008, 03:38 PM   #9
Beemer Pat

Oddometer: 2,722
Do you have a shutoff valve to the faucet??? If you do shut the water off and open it. If you don’t install a ball valve before the faucet and your set. I lived in MN for 12 years and did this in both homes I owned.
Beemer Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:46 AM   #10
Mtncrzr
Just Kidding, not really

Oddometer: 1,213
I just had to install a shut off valve after my front faucet froze for the second year in a row...

It was one of the 10 inch long ones that shuts off the water inside the house too... I guess it wasn't long enough. Now, no worries.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:36 PM   #11
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

I found that it IS a frost free type, plus, I added a bit of heat to it. I've lived in cold climates all my life, but now that I own the place and pay the mortgage, I can't sleep at night when it gets down to -20... Now I feel better. Thanks for the great advice!
Old 01-22-2008, 04:31 PM   #12
AtomicXRer
Chile Eater

I've had frost free faucets with sill cocks as much as 1 ft, that will still fail if you do nothing. This happens in cases where the faucet is put at an outer corner wall, in which case nothing is gained by using a frost free faucet.

Quote:
I found that it IS a frost free type, plus, I added a bit of heat to it. I've lived in cold climates all my life, but now that I own the place and pay the mortgage, I can't sleep at night when it gets down to -20... Now I feel better. Thanks for the great advice!