Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2008, 10:20 AM   #1
jedi_jer

Oddometer: n/a
DL650 vstrom Tire size question

I am looking into ordering new tires for my 2004 dl650.

The stock tire sizes are

Tires Front: 110/80R-19
Tires Rear: 150/70R-17

I was looking into what tire options there are and searching the threads here and will probably just stick with the stock trailwings but, one local sales guy said I could go with a 100/90-19 and 130/80-17 if I wanted a better selection "dual sport" wise. Does this sound right? I have heard of going wider but never narrower.

Is that even an option on such a heavy bike?

Thanks for any input.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:43 AM   #2
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,311
I think what he means is that by going down to the 130 in back, you'll have a better selection of knobbier, more dirt-oriented tires to choose from. (Or maybe he has a 130 in his tire rack and doesn't have a 150.) The slightly higher aspect ratio in the front probably isn't terribly significant.

Load carrying capacity varies from tire to tire, so it's hard to generalize. I wouldn't assume that a 130 tire is less than a 150 necessarily. It will not fit the rim as well and may have a somewhat flatter profile. And I wouldn't want to start screwing with tubes, so I'm not sure there are 130 tubeless knobbies anyway.

Personally, unless you are doing something unusual with the bike, I'd stick with the stock sizes. The Trail Wings are not well liked in these parts, but I think they're a good street tire. If you want a more dirt-oriented tire, I'd go with TKC80's in the stock sizes.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:11 PM   #3
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,617
others have mounted a 130 mefo explorer on the rear with no issues.
-conti tkc-80s are the best stock option for more meat. rear wears fast, 4000mi
-a tkc-80 fr & maxxis detour rear is the next meatiest option. better rear life.
-next is detour front & tourance rear. long rear life with better dirt grip in front.
-finally is tourance front & rear. longest wear going. 2x life of the front.

stock tires suck.
my personal fav for light dirt use is detour front, tourance rear.
you get the best rear tire for mileage & grip with a front tire the bites better.
detours wear faster than tourance, but using it up front balances it nicely. front and rear are changed at aprox the same time.

you own a dr...that should be your primary dirt toy!
the dl is just ok in the dirt. buy an xr for the golden triangle.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 01-21-2008 at 12:22 PM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 05:21 PM   #4
jedi_jer

Oddometer: n/a
Yep, the DR is my main dirt machine. But I don't like to pass on any gravel or dirt "road" I may come across so I want some traction. I have checked out many of the tires that come in the stock sizes and will probably try the maxxis detours. I was just curious about running a 130 where a 150 is called for. I have never heard of that before. It would be interesting to see a picture of one mounted.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:36 PM   #5
G.Gordon
Nation of Frustration

Oddometer: 9,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi_jer
Yep, the DR is my main dirt machine. But I don't like to pass on any gravel or dirt "road" I may come across so I want some traction. I have checked out many of the tires that come in the stock sizes and will probably try the maxxis detours. I was just curious about running a 130 where a 150 is called for. I have never heard of that before. It would be interesting to see a picture of one mounted.
When I noticed the price difference in the 130 vs the 150 I asked and several in the GSpot and beast forums sounded off that they had ran the 130 TKC's on the big and wee strom bikes.

The soul attracts that which it secretly harbors;
that which it loves, and also that which it fears.

James Allen

G.Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:58 PM   #6
Gustavo
Motociclista Errante

Oddometer: 2,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi_jer
one local sales guy said I could go with a 100/90-19 and 130/80-17 if I wanted a better selection "dual sport" wise. Does this sound right? I have heard of going wider but never narrower.
I'm sure it'll fit, but you wont find a manufacturer that recommends mounting a 130/80-17 tire on a 4.25" rim. The rim is too wide and will change the profile of the tire too much, the rim range recommended for those tires is 2.50-3.50".

What I am not sure I understand is why you'd need to do that. I mean, there are several tire options that provide rather good dual sport abilities - TKC-80, Karoo T and Karoo II will all provide varying degrees of dirt ability, beyond those of the typical 90/10 tires, if you need it. Plus, they were all designed to run as tubeless tires, something that can't be said of the dual sport tires he was going to offer you. If you were planning on using it as a dirt only tire, maybe. For regular use, it makes little sense to me.

Gustavo
Gustavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 12:26 PM   #7
BV1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
If we can get away with a 130 rear, I'd like to run a Kenda K761. I ran the Kenda Challengers on both my Seca Turbo's and they were superb for the cash. For my Challengers I spent $89 for both tires and both have between 5,000 and 15,000 km on them now, the 15k ones still with 70% remaining tread.

http://www.mts.net/~smpotter/Pics/100_1094.jpg
http://www.mts.net/~smpotter/Pics/100_1096.jpg

So I wouldnt mind trying the K761's.

http://www.kendausa.com/motorcycle/dual_sport.html

-Steve
BV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 04:57 PM   #8
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BV1
So I wouldnt mind trying the K761's.

http://www.kendausa.com/motorcycle/dual_sport.html
There is a fine line between being frugal and being cheap. In my book, running a $45 tire that is so hard that it goes 45K miles crosses over the line to cheap.

And you realize these tires are all tubed, right?

- Mark
Old 01-22-2008, 05:12 PM   #9
AKStrom
Just call me 'Magellan'

Oddometer: 1,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn
(Or maybe he has a 130 in his tire rack and doesn't have a 150.)
That's my call.

My local dealers usually don't want the supposed legal liability of running non-stock-sized tires unless they're overstocked and have to move something.

Then it's amazing what cock'n'bull stories they'll tell me just to sell a tire.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:25 PM   #10
duckrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 993
I went with an 80 series on the back of my DL
, but I think it's a 140. I really like it on the road, as it seems to turn into a corner better.
duckrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 08:48 PM   #11
jgunsett
Goin' Coastal

Oddometer: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins
others have mounted a 130 mefo explorer on the rear with no issues.
-conti tkc-80s are the best stock option for more meat. rear wears fast, 4000mi
-a tkc-80 fr & maxxis detour rear is the next meatiest option. better rear life.
-next is detour front & tourance rear. long rear life with better dirt grip in front.
-finally is tourance front & rear. longest wear going. 2x life of the front.

stock tires suck.
my personal fav for light dirt use is detour front, tourance rear.
you get the best rear tire for mileage & grip with a front tire the bites better.
detours wear faster than tourance, but using it up front balances it nicely. front and rear are changed at aprox the same time.

you own a dr...that should be your primary dirt toy!
the dl is just ok in the dirt. buy an xr for the golden triangle.
You never mentioned Michelin Anakees. I just bought a Wee, and plan on upgrading tires in the Spring. I don't think I want to go as drastic as a TKC-80 (I have 2 knobby-tired offroad bikes, so I plan to use the V-strom for very light offroad duty and pavement, anything gnarlier and I'll switch over to the DRZ400). With that in mind, is the Detour a better all around tire than the Anakee?

"Life's Short - Turn Up the Bass!"
jgunsett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 12:24 AM   #12
Night_Wolf
Leg Humper

Oddometer: 8,068
It's neither the tire or the bike; it's the riders abilities. My buddy will smoke my ass going down gravel roads while 2 up on his 05 wee running a ME880 rear with an Avon Venom X front, while I'm using the stockers still on my 07 Wee. 18,000mi. out of the combo he's running, while the stockers should be toast at 10,000mi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgunsett
You never mentioned Michelin Anakees. I just bought a Wee, and plan on upgrading tires in the Spring. I don't think I want to go as drastic as a TKC-80 (I have 2 knobby-tired offroad bikes, so I plan to use the V-strom for very light offroad duty and pavement, anything gnarlier and I'll switch over to the DRZ400). With that in mind, is the Detour a better all around tire than the Anakee?

L 51.01.900 / L W 114.05.900

"That road less traveled is a toll road, and sometimes the charge is more expensive than we ever expected. Most of the time, it's a one way road. Make the decision, hope for the best, and start traveling. Carry lots of coins." PecosBill

Pick good friends and you'll never be lacking Family Me
Night_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 06:42 AM   #13
BV1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn
There is a fine line between being frugal and being cheap. In my book, running a $45 tire that is so hard that it goes 45K miles crosses over the line to cheap.

And you realize these tires are all tubed, right?

- Mark
Yes, Im rather Frugal, but those tires were a good deal. Lots of people run these Kenda tires, without issue. I found some reviews on them over on the V-strom.info website, and there was LOTS of reviews over on XJBIKES.com. But alas, all for street tires.

My Seca 650 is a 8.0:1 low compression, low peak torque engine, with shaftdrive. So, the tires are going to last alot longer on that bike, the rear wheel never spins as it doesnt make boost until above 6k and most driving is well below that RPM.

Also... you mentioned miles... my measurements are in Kilometers, so no I won't be going 45,000 miles on those tires. But... alot of people prefer H-rated, harder compound tires to the V-rated stuff because they want to go farther, and they don't ride aggresively enough to take advantage (regularly) of the softer compund. Sure the V-rated stuff is safer, stops quicker etc etc. But only once on my cross country trip in my Seca did I have to lock the rear wheels, and those Kendas are literally, twice as grippy, as the stock tire my Yamaha came with, back in the day, when it was new.

But, the K761's would be for the Strom, by only concern is the size, and yes I would expect them to wear alot faster. Aside from that, whats the disadvantage of having a tubed tire?

-Steve

BV1 screwed with this post 01-23-2008 at 06:52 AM
BV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 10:56 AM   #14
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BV1
But, the K761's would be for the Strom, by only concern is the size, and yes I would expect them to wear alot faster. Aside from that, whats the disadvantage of having a tubed tire?
The biggest one is that you can't plug it on the side of the road. If you get a puncture, you'd have to remove the wheel, dismount the tire, and patch a tube. While some can do this, it would be a real bear on a big bike like the Strom and you'd have to carry tire irons.

Tubed tires also run hotter, so you have to reduce the speed rating of the tire. And when they get a puncture, they are much more likely to debead and make the bike difficult to control. And I'm not sure if you'd need to make modifications to the Strom cast wheels to accept the tube stem.

While tubed tires have some advantages for pure dirt bikes (the biggest one being that you can run lighter spoked wheels), I'd never consider running a tubed tire on a bike like the Strom. Honestly, I don't never heard of anyone doing it, although I'm sure someone has. It would be a very odd thing to do on a big bike with cast wheels that can run tubeless.

There are lots of threads here arguing the relative merits of tube vs. tubeless including a long one in the F800GS thread (the GS has tubes on its conventionally- spoked wheels).

- Mark
Old 01-23-2008, 07:35 PM   #15
jgunsett
Goin' Coastal

Oddometer: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Wolf
It's neither the tire or the bike; it's the riders abilities. My buddy will smoke my ass going down gravel roads while 2 up on his 05 wee running a ME880 rear with an Avon Venom X front, while I'm using the stockers still on my 07 Wee. 18,000mi. out of the combo he's running, while the stockers should be toast at 10,000mi.
Uhhh....not really the answer I was looking for. Any other opinions? Anakee vs Detour?

"Life's Short - Turn Up the Bass!"
jgunsett is offline   Reply With Quote