User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2009, 02:35 AM   #16
Barak
adventure photographer

Oddometer: 115
Wicked DR-Z400E in New Mexico or colorado

Anyone know if it's do-able in New Mexico?
Someone mentioned it can be done easily in Colorado. Details please. This would be a bike purchased in NM.
Thanks!
Barak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 03:33 AM   #17
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
Sorry...But I'm looking at this from another angle. Call your insurance company to see if they will cover it on the road. They may...they may not. You can get insurance for anything, it all depends how much your willing to pay for it.

When I got insurance for my 640 Adventure it took several days to get it worked out. That model of bike didn't appear in their data base. They didn't have any data on the bike to figure out the cost of the policy. I had to FAX a copy of the title to them to prove that a KTM 640 did exist in the USA.

In Misssouri... you have to show proof of insurance to get plates on anything driven on the road.

daryl

dlh62c screwed with this post 04-04-2009 at 04:02 AM
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 03:47 AM   #18
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barak
Someone mentioned it can be done easily in Colorado. Details please. This would be a bike purchased in NM.
Thanks!
Your asking the wrong people. Go to your local license office or their web site and ask these questions. We're not the ones you will have to deal with after the purchase is made...they are.

First and foremost. If you can't get a clear title for the bike or there isn't one....walk away.

Good Luck!
daryl

dlh62c screwed with this post 04-04-2009 at 04:01 AM
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 03:14 PM   #19
murgatroid42
Great Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barak
Thanks!
There are several threads in the Rockies section about plating dirt bikes but here is some info to make the process easier:

- Did the bike ever have a title? If so, that's trouble if you don't have it, but if it was always a dirt bike, it's easier in Colorado.
- If you have the MSO, you're good. Otherwise, get a bill of sale from a Colorado DMV web site (or Colorado Laramie county online). Make sure it says the price is correct "under penalty of perjury", or is notarized.
- Most important,ly make sure the bill of sale says: "Sold as off-road only". This is extremely important - without this statement you might not be able to plate it. I fought this with a CO dealer (who should have known better) after I was rejected.
- The bike has to be inspected for the VIN number. There is a form that has to be filled out by a motorcycle dealer or police. This is to verify the VIN number only, it is not an equipment inspection.
- Get a CO equipment compliance form and fill it out. It lists the equipment needed (headlight, brake light, speedometer, permanent odometer, DOT tires, horn, etc.). There is no inspection, but you are certifying the equipment has been added under penalty of perjury.
- Get liability insurance, and a proof of insurance card from from your agent. Actually, take dlh62c's advice and make sure you can get insurance for that particular make, model, and VIN number before buying it. My agent didn't hesistate when I asked to insure my 2 stroke ($61 a year, including comprehensive coverage), but YMMV.
- Bring lots of money to pay sales tax, and all sorts of fees. No credit cards, IIRC.

Some helpful info and links to forms are here.

However, some say Colorado will not plate a 2006 or later dirt bike, due to federal emissions regulations. There is a lot of confusion about this (and a thread in the Rockies section), but if you are going to plate a dirt bike, do it now.

Sometimes it's easy to title and plate, sometimes it's a nightmare. Many in CO have plated 2 strokes. I'm just giving advice, don't blame me if something goes wrong, OK?
murgatroid42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:05 PM   #20
Peaches
Sick Nacho

Oddometer: 13
Break switch

I am leaning toward a hydraulic break switch and BD rear tail/break light. Does anyone have any experience with this setup?
Old 11-21-2012, 08:09 AM   #21
woxofoh
Sean Ahern

Oddometer: 8
Plate Dirt Bike in OH (2012)

There are two categories of motor vehicles in Ohio. Those manufactured for on road use {autos,trucks, street, dual purpose MC's}. There is a second category under BMV form 8303. These are home made such as dune buggies or dirt bikes not manufactured for on road use. THERE IS NO VEHICLE EXAMINATION except if the bike is from another state then you must have the VIN inspected. This can be done by car dealers. They usually will have the form (or bike dealers) most will not charge for this.

You must have the title (off road titles now issued in Ohio ) for the bike to do this. It is a lot more complicated if you don't have the title.It requires affidavits from all the previous owners. SOAPBOX: Don't buy bikes without titles, it encourages theft and you won't be able to ride on state land or federal land without one (where stickers are required).

Go to the BMV w/title. Some BMVs know about this others are not on top of it. Some try to make up rules as they go. Counties in southern OH are more up on this. My friends in Columbus go to a different county. Tell them you want the Affidavit Certificate of Title BMV Form 8303 to get an on road title for your bike. In Licking county they used to give you a form divided in to a left and right section. It had the affidavit on the right half and the corresponding requirements for equipment on the left. If they only give you the affidavit ask for the equipment form - tell them you need to know what you are attesting to (big words make them think you know what you are doing - important in this bureaucratic dance) Both cars and MC are listed. They are not the same.You need for an MC (hard to believe some of this): 1.Handlebars 2. Saddle 3.Headlight 4.Tail Light 5. Light to illuminate license plate. 6. Rear view mirror 7.horn That is it, no turn signals and no brake light (although a good idea on the trail and off). You must sign the affidavit at that time. It is perjury to not have that equipment on the bike when you sign the form (uh Huh). They issue the title on the spot (remember nobody looks to see if you have done the conversion yet). Go next door (if so situated) and get a plate. You cannot "unplate" the bike. If you have current plates then you will need insurance. My State Farm agent charges $10 a year per each of my 3 dirtbkes for min coverage. U read that right $10 per bike. Go home and put the required stuff on the bike. NOTE: My last two conversions I was faced with a dumb B...... (bureaucrat) that kept insisting the MC needed mileage number and an odometer/speedometer (she doesn't understand the distinction). The first time I tried to explain that she can't make up new requirements and that the bike had no mileage recorder (DRX 250 had taken it off but it was only a 0-99 odometer). My Honda X they simply put NO ODOM on the title. When this idiot started down this street the second time (3rd bike) I simply made up a mileage that was told to me by the original owner. A lot easier than trying to convince them they don't know their job
woxofoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:27 AM   #22
woxofoh
Sean Ahern

Oddometer: 8
Correction to Above

The Ohio BMV form is 3803 or 3808. Sorry for the confusion. Part of the problem is that one copy of the form has no BMV form # on it and the other one of the same name has the form # but doesn't list the required equipment. To add to the confusion the Ohio BMV 0n Line lists a hundred forms you can down load but not this one.

Also, pardon me but as per most info in various sites like this {interest groupsJ most of the info provided is worthless. the person requesting info needs FACTS about his state's requirements - not how they do it in Fiji. Secondly as my experience and that of my friends show [with about 400 years of riding in Ohio} often the government doesn't know either. go to bike shops or dual sport or enduro races and ask people who have DONE conversions - or anything else you want to do from making cakes to whoppee. Of course these sites can be very helpful but not if you are providing answers like" I don't don't know but . . . ."
woxofoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:49 AM   #23
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,309
i have an E, plated, I am looking to go from the tiny aftermarket tail light to a bigger version, it may be broken in the occasional crash but will be more visible on road, I dont want to get run over from behind. I had a near head on, guy opposite way turned left into my lane, full on stop w 3' from pancaking his van. I am also looking at led running/turn lights, to make the bike stand out more. I want a little more front brake as well, maybe SS line

you can probably find a S sub frame to swap for the peg mtgs, it will be a tight fit for two but short rides should be OK, look into "sweet cheeks " might help your passenger http://cycle-analyst.com/sweetcheeks